The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 616

AlpineZone

Page 616 of 703 FirstFirst ... 116516566606614615616617618626666 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,160 of 7027
  1. #6151
    I think the community forum with Win and Alterra management today was pretty positive. Love that Win actually mentioned Alpine Zone! I think a lot of the "right" things were said. The key will be to see if the action over time matches the talk. Obviously there are some important questions some of us have that answers don't exist for yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

    I think one big takeaway is that snowmaking improvements will definitely be at the top of the capital improvement demand list. I don't think there's any question about that after hearing it repeatedly mentioned multiple times.

    Rusty may regret giving out his phone number at the end though!

  2. #6152
    Be smart to blow upper mountain imo.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    if its not groomed. im doomed!!!!:

  3. #6153
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I think the community forum with Win and Alterra management today was pretty positive. Love that Win actually mentioned Alpine Zone! I think a lot of the "right" things were said. The key will be to see if the action over time matches the talk. Obviously there are some important questions some of us have that answers don't exist for yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

    I think one big takeaway is that snowmaking improvements will definitely be at the top of the capital improvement demand list. I don't think there's any question about that after hearing it repeatedly mentioned multiple times.

    Rusty may regret giving out his phone number at the end though!
    I thought they did a nice job as well. Proof is in the pudding I suppose. It is a sad state of affairs that the primary factor driving capex priorities is climate change, but that is the reality. Working for a large company I understand the comments around capex allocation and how that all works. Hoping that SB continues to get its fair share, because at the end of the day its not wins decision anymore.

    While I do have a wish list for the future and most of it is winter related. I hope they heard the comments about MTBing. They are way behind IMHO and I thinks its costing them summer traffic. That market has increased significantly. Bikes are significantly better and trails are popping up everywhere. Would think that is a much lower cost investment for them. Id even consider it at ME, make it a summer MTB epi center.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #6154
    Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    I often look at that report and dream about some of that terrain. However, just because its on this plan doesn't mean "it can be done". Act 250 still rules as does the forest service. This was a plan by a third party and not approved by any regulatory authority to my knowledge (Win, that correct?).
    Yes, that is correct.

  5. #6155
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningWoods View Post
    I thought they did a nice job as well. Proof is in the pudding I suppose. It is a sad state of affairs that the primary factor driving capex priorities is climate change, but that is the reality. Working for a large company I understand the comments around capex allocation and how that all works. Hoping that SB continues to get its fair share, because at the end of the day its not wins decision anymore.

    While I do have a wish list for the future and most of it is winter related. I hope they heard the comments about MTBing. They are way behind IMHO and I thinks its costing them summer traffic. That market has increased significantly. Bikes are significantly better and trails are popping up everywhere. Would think that is a much lower cost investment for them. Id even consider it at ME, make it a summer MTB epi center.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you are talking cross country mountain biking around the lowest elevations and valley, then yes, it could be low cost. If you are talking lift served, DH mountain biking, that is no low cost investment. To do it right you need machine built trails, specialized carriers on the lifts and the upkeep of said trails after they are built is more than you might imagine. And it has to be right location and marketed correctly.

    Case in point, Sunday River. They closed the bike park this year and it is done. Never marketed right, terrain is actually a bit too steep here for good easier to intermediate flowy trails making the park loaded with advanced and above trails that were not conducive to learning and progression. They did allow self climb this year but in just one winter with zero spring trail maintenance, many of the trails had gone to junk and some were impassable.



    And in Vermont, Killington is already a huge bike magnet. They have definitely spent quite a bit of $$ to get it there too.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

  6. #6156
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,735
    I listened to the meeting on FB, all good stuff discussed. I felt before this went through and Sugarbush were to be merged and still do, Alterra was the one company I'd want to see them in. As many have noted, talk is cheap and action speaks louder than words, but I do believe Alterra will allow Sugarbush to stay Sugarbush. Understanding Alterra as a company is still just in its infancy and things can and do change as businesses mature, but their foundations for the brand and values seem strong and are a good match for Sugarbush. Overall I am optimistic about it's future, with a bit of trepidation to see what full Ikon integration looks like next season on the hill.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

  7. #6157
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Case in point, Sunday River. They closed the bike park this year and it is done. Never marketed right, terrain is actually a bit too steep here for good easier to intermediate flowy trails making the park loaded with advanced and above trails that were not conducive to learning and progression.
    Pretty typical. It's a lot easier (and safer!) to ski steep stuff than bike down it IMO even with specialized gear ie 10" dual suspension and giant brakes.

    I've downhilled at Mt Snow, Killington, Plattekill and Jiminy Peak and Mt Snow seemed to have the most trails that weren't literally death defying. At Plattekill my bike barely survived in functional condition and there were some pretty spectacular wipe-outs among our crew. From what I hear Berkshire East has put together a really nice network of downhill trails and surrounding XC trails, I guess kind of like Burke and Kingdom Trails.
    2019/2020 season [*powder day]

    Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24] Bretton Woods [1/3] Gunstock [1/2] Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2*] Wachusett [12/16]

  8. #6158
    What was skiing like today? I saw on the cams gate house looked more popular


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    if its not groomed. im doomed!!!!:

  9. #6159
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    It's a lot easier (and safer!) to ski steep stuff than bike down it
    I tried mountain biking in Park City last summer and found it can be pretty terrifying.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  10. #6160
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,664
    https://vtdigger.org/2019/11/22/new-...c42f-405558657


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 19 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 19 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The "Sugarbush Thread" vs. Guess the ski area
    By Greg in forum Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Aug 12, 2005, 11:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:41 PM.