• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Zand

DB thinks a lot of things are too costly. The lines at ticket windows/points this year for Ikon users to get day tickets was absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary if they would upgrade their tech. I would change your layout of gates. Only 2 in South ridge (carpet does not need it). Spruce should have it with the uphill traffic being easily reached. Aurora should not have any, hardest point to reach outside of other lifts and Jordan needs two, one on the double as well due to hotel there. The mountain claims they tried it but the system they demo'd failed anytime the outside temp was below 0. I know SB's system doesn't seem to have that problem as I skied at -5 this year and it worked fine that day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

The thing I don't understand about the Boyne resorts is that you don't need RFID to make the Ikon Pass direct to lift. Stratton doesn't have RFID but the Ikon worked like a normal season pass...they scan it with handhelds and off you go. Maybe that can only be done at Alterra hills.

I was shocked to see Smuggs installed RFID. Never thought they'd spend money on ANYTHING :D

machski

The thing I don't understand about the Boyne resorts is that you don't need RFID to make the Ikon Pass direct to lift. Stratton doesn't have RFID but the Ikon worked like a normal season pass...they scan it with handhelds and off you go. Maybe that can only be done at Alterra hills.

I was shocked to see Smuggs installed RFID. Never thought they'd spend money on ANYTHING :D
SR doesn't scan passes anymore, Loon still does, not sure on SL but I think so. My understanding is that Boyne's computer system in the East is too antiquated to handle New England and Ikon pass database. It was suppose to be upgraded this year. Let's just say the upgrade didn't go so well on the F&B side, can't imagine the ticketing side was any better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

SR doesn't scan passes anymore, Loon still does, not sure on SL but I think so. My understanding is that Boyne's computer system in the East is too antiquated to handle New England and Ikon pass database. It was suppose to be upgraded this year. Let's just say the upgrade didn't go so well on the F&B side, can't imagine the ticketing side was any better.

How does sr know whether a pass is valid or not if they don’t scan at all?

And back on topic of sugarbush, I still can’t get over the coverage on steins.

IMG_5125.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hawk

Good day yesterday. All the regulars, a bunch of Mad River regulars and tons of quad pack & ICON people. It was fun to ski in all kinds of mixed groups and rip it up together. I even saw a good friend back from a season at Big Ski. As usual at the end of the day in the castlerock, it was just us, the pass holders watching the Derby. That was a crazy ending to the race. I just wish we could get some sun, maybe today.

cdskier

Thanks for getting reverse traverse back open! Good fun snow on the trails off it!

WinS

Sorry to miss everyone on the final weekend, but did not make it back from the NSAA show to enjoy the final turns at SB. Only got to 148 days so may have to take a quick trip to get in another two. Thank you all for making our season a successful one again.

JimG.

Staff member
As usual at the end of the day in the castlerock, it was just us, the pass holders watching the Derby. That was a crazy ending to the race. I just wish we could get some sun, maybe today.

Yeah now they've managed to wreck the derby with that stupid DQ. Horse racing is in dire straights anyway, last thing needed was an unnecessary and heavy handed administrative ruling that screwed the winner. I have several friends who have been life long bettors who are swearing off of horse racing after yesterday.

WWF-VT

Nice finale to the season today with a few hours of blue skies and sunshine and the unexpected bonus of Reverse Traverse and additional lower mountain terrain to ski.

tumbler

For summer activities June 29th is later than previous years. Does anyone know why? Seems at least a week later.

thetrailboss

Staff member

One of my friends skinned up there a couple weeks ago and posted pics on FB. I thought I saw an RFID Gate at the bottom of one of Smuggs' chairs and I was like :blink: :lol:

Zand

One of my friends skinned up there a couple weeks ago and posted pics on FB. I thought I saw an RFID Gate at the bottom of one of Smuggs' chairs and I was like :blink: :lol:

Funny part is every other mountain I went to on the VT 4 pass that has RFID was happy to include the RFID fee as part of the pass. But of course friendly ol' Smuggs made damn sure they got that 5 dollars and change from you. Worth it though :D

cdskier

As nice as yesterday was, today would have been stunning. Perfect bluebird skies as I was leaving this morning

IMG_5151.jpg

Hawk

For summer activities June 29th is later than previous years. Does anyone know why? Seems at least a week later.

It might have to do with maintenance. I guess there was some badly needed maintenance on the Bravo lift and that is why they closed the lift early causing the need to keep reverse traverse open. They were saying they needed a certain amount of time to complete the work in time for summer activities. I guess that means they also needed to delay summer activities also if you say it is a later start. They started taking off all the chairs last week.

WinS

It might have to do with maintenance. I guess there was some badly needed maintenance on the Bravo lift and that is why they closed the lift early causing the need to keep reverse traverse open. They were saying they needed a certain amount of time to complete the work in time for summer activities. I guess that means they also needed to delay summer activities also if you say it is a later start. They started taking off all the chairs last week.

We always close Bravo at this date. The difference this year is that we stayed open every days a week longer. Last year we closed and then reopened two final weekends This is just routine maintenance to get prepared for the summer. We also have to get the state to inspect it. Our summer activities normally start the weekend before the fourth. It all gets done and we can get the lift inspected we will begin summer activities on the 22nd.

Hawk

Sugarbush is having their Brewgrass festival this weekend. Really good time if you like Vermont Beer. 23 Breweries in attendance:

• 14th Star • Citizen Cider • Collaborative Brewing • Cousins Brewing • Drop In • Farnham Ale & Lager • Fiddlehead • Frost Beer Works • Goodwater • Halyard • Harpoon • Hermit Thrush • Lawson’s Finest Liquids • Long Trail • Magic Hat • Otter Creek • Prohibition Pig • Shed • Stone Corral • Switchback • Upper Pass • Von Trapp • Zero Gravity •

We have a big ride planned for the morning and lots of beer for the afternoon. I think Sunday is going to hurt. ;-)

cdskier

Sugarbush is having their Brewgrass festival this weekend. Really good time if you like Vermont Beer. 23 Breweries in attendance:

• 14th Star • Citizen Cider • Collaborative Brewing • Cousins Brewing • Drop In • Farnham Ale & Lager • Fiddlehead • Frost Beer Works • Goodwater • Halyard • Harpoon • Hermit Thrush • Lawson’s Finest Liquids • Long Trail • Magic Hat • Otter Creek • Prohibition Pig • Shed • Stone Corral • Switchback • Upper Pass • Von Trapp • Zero Gravity •

We have a big ride planned for the morning and lots of beer for the afternoon. I think Sunday is going to hurt. ;-)

Should be a good time. Weather looks excellent. I'm coming up late tonight.

cdskier

Does anyone have updates on the proposed regrading on parts of the Sleeper trail?

They posted some pictures on Facebook a week or so ago showing some of the widening. And I believe I read somewhere that pipe is now being laid