• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, we're getting a lot of good questions in here...let's plan on wrapping it up TOMORROW Noon or so.

djspookman

Strat said:
thetrailboss said:
I recall seeing in the 1996 EIS paperwork a proposal to build a trail from the top of North Lynx down across Slide Brook and terminating near the Gate House Quad terminal. Will this ever come to fruition? If not, why?

Such a trail does exist, at least, partially... I'm not sure where it comes out, but there is a closed-off area on skier's left at the top of sunrise that leads to a narrow trail that crosses over slidebrook at the top of the ridge and continues downward, easily visible from slidebrook as well... I have no idea where it comes out, I figure it must just be a service road, perhaps terminating in the village somewhere... I wonder why they would ever want to build a trail like that that would go all the way down to the gatehouse... and where would it go? It seems like in order to make it back to Gatehouse, it would have to cross slidebrook (as that trail I mentioned above does) and hit Village Run, then continuing back into Pushover or maybe Easy Rider... seems like a rather useless trail that would probably get underused... would, however, like to see the plan for that...

I'm not going to tell where it goes, other than I can ski home using it:)

dave

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
djspookman said:
Strat said:
thetrailboss said:
I recall seeing in the 1996 EIS paperwork a proposal to build a trail from the top of North Lynx down across Slide Brook and terminating near the Gate House Quad terminal. Will this ever come to fruition? If not, why?

Such a trail does exist, at least, partially... I'm not sure where it comes out, but there is a closed-off area on skier's left at the top of sunrise that leads to a narrow trail that crosses over slidebrook at the top of the ridge and continues downward, easily visible from slidebrook as well... I have no idea where it comes out, I figure it must just be a service road, perhaps terminating in the village somewhere... I wonder why they would ever want to build a trail like that that would go all the way down to the gatehouse... and where would it go? It seems like in order to make it back to Gatehouse, it would have to cross slidebrook (as that trail I mentioned above does) and hit Village Run, then continuing back into Pushover or maybe Easy Rider... seems like a rather useless trail that would probably get underused... would, however, like to see the plan for that...

I'm not going to tell where it goes, other than I can ski home using it:)

dave
Oh do tell, I am oh so interested... at least tell whereabouts you live?

Like I'd steal your stash anyway... why would I wanna end up at your house? :wink:

djspookman

Strat said:
OK, new question...
Just thought of another one...

Snowflake, the trail once serviced by the old T-Bar at North, to the south of Sunny D (at the termination of Lower FIS) has gone unused for years... seems like with North's complete and total lack of beginner terrain, a cheap T-Bar could be purchased by Sugarbush and installed down there to make North a little more accomodating to beginners... North has seen a lot of improvements, but that would really make it more of a complete mountain... does this plan seem semi-realistic?

DITTO on the Snowflake area. I checked it out this winter and was thinking the same thing! Heck, get those lift parts out of there and clear out the old tow line and put in a short t-bar and you're all set!

dave

djspookman

ski_resort_observer said:
Slide Brook Basin access :D

Hey Spook...hope you don't take that way home in March cause the bears are waking up and they are powerful hungry that time of year... :lol:

yup, spring is the best time to take that home, all sunny and sweet snow:) I don't worry about bears too much, as I live on the flats, so we're used to all kinds of wildlife in our backyard already! fresh moose tracks out there last week, and I usually see a deer or two a week!

dave

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
djspookman said:

Hey Spook...hope you don't take that way home in March cause the bears are waking up and they are powerful hungry that time of year... :lol:

yup, spring is the best time to take that home, all sunny and sweet snow:) I don't worry about bears too much, as I live on the flats, so we're used to all kinds of wildlife in our backyard already! fresh moose tracks out there last week, and I usually see a deer or two a week!

dave
Wow, goes all the way down to the flats... now the question is, why did they ever cut that thing?

skibum1321

JimG. said:
thetrailboss said:
Good question! I figure they'll tell you what they've said to us all along...'we offer a great product, blah, blah,' and not consider this deal. MRG is not up to their standards and Stowe is their main competition.

Yes, I would not ever look for SB and MRG to do anything jointly. 2 completely different ski areas regardless of geography, and 2 completely different clienteles that do not see eye to eye on anything.

Personally, I think it would be a bad thing and would prefer they stay separate.

Actually, after the Big Pass there was the Huge Pass which included Jay, MRG and the Bush. It was a college deal yet again.

djspookman

Strat said:
djspookman said:

dave
Wow, goes all the way down to the flats... now the question is, why did they ever cut that thing?

I love woods skiing so I just use that part to get into the woods, then make my own line from there, so i'm not exactly sure where on the flats it ends up, but i'm assuming that it does somewhere since there are numerous access trails for lift evacs/lift access.

JimG.

Staff member
skibum1321 said:
Actually, after the Big Pass there was the Huge Pass which included Jay, MRG and the Bush. It was a college deal yet again.

WOW :eek: ! Now that's a great deal. You know, part of our 5 year plan is to move to VT, probably the MRV because I love MRG and SB. Now if they were to come up with a plan like that again and throw Stowe into the mix, I'd quit my job today and move now.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
djspookman said:
Strat said:
djspookman said:

dave

I love woods skiing so I just use that part to get into the woods, then make my own line from there, so i'm not exactly sure where on the flats it ends up, but i'm assuming that it does somewhere since there are numerous access trails for lift evacs/lift access.
Ah I see, thanks for the info dave, always interested to find out new quirks about the 'bush...

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
JimG. said:
skibum1321 said:

WOW :eek: ! Now that's a great deal. You know, part of our 5 year plan is to move to VT, probably the MRV because I love MRG and SB. Now if they were to come up with a plan like that again and throw Stowe into the mix, I'd quit my job today and move now.

Might want to start looking at land now Jim, real estate is pretty sparse, and what's out there is very very expensive...

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, great conversation here...hate to do it...but will lock this thread at 12 noon. I can start a new 'Sugarbush thread' for you all if you'd like to keep a conversation going...

JimG.

Staff member
Strat said:
Might want to start looking at land now Jim, real estate is pretty sparse, and what's out there is very very expensive...

So I have found out...fortunately (??) I live near NYC and real estate here is about as expensive as it gets, so it wasn't much of a shock to me when I saw some prices.

The house we bought less than 2 years ago has already appreciated 30% in value. Sick!!

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
OK, great conversation here...hate to do it...but will lock this thread at 12 noon. I can start a new 'Sugarbush thread' for you all if you'd like to keep a conversation going...
Or split out the posts into a new thread. Click this TTB:

topic_split.gif

thetrailboss

Staff member
JimG. said:
Strat said:

So I have found out...fortunately (??) I live near NYC and real estate here is about as expensive as it gets, so it wasn't much of a shock to me when I saw some prices.

The house we bought less than 2 years ago has already appreciated 30% in value. Sick!!

There are signs here in Eastern MA that things are beginning to slow...sales of single family homes FELL 11 percent in May, but prices still rose :-?

People are getting way to wound up in this 'craze.'

JimG.

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
There are signs here in Eastern MA that things are beginning to slow...sales of single family homes FELL 11 percent in May, but prices still rose :-?

People are getting way to wound up in this 'craze.'

Yeah, several markets are pretty ripe for the bubble to burst soon. Glad I'm not in it as a specualtive investment; my house is my home and if it doesn't make sense to sell it and move I'll stay.

djspookman

yah, real esate in the Valley sucks right now. The only affordable stuff are one bedroom condos, unless you are moving from out of state, because cost of living in VT isn't proportionate(sp?) to income. So, because of this I am forced to rent.. yippee... ugh..

dave