• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

deadheadskier

Staff member
Where are you trying to move the goal posts now?

They don't need a new Slidebrook lift.

Instead of constantly whining about that lift's schedule, maybe just schedule your visits to SB later in the season when it's reliably open.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Slidebrook87

Where are you trying to move the goal posts now?

They don't need a new Slidebrook lift.

Instead of constantly whining about that lift's schedule, maybe just schedule your visits to SB later in the season when it's reliably open.

They don’t need a new Slide Brook lift, you are correct, but it would be an investment to make sure that the lift can operate reliably for most of the season. I’m not whining about Slide Brook, but it is a crucial lift to the Sugarbush lift system. I am just trying to point out ways to make sure that the two mountains are connected more often that do not require too much $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

They don’t need a new Slide Brook lift, you are correct, but it would be an investment to make sure that the lift can operate reliably for most of the season. I’m not whining about Slide Brook, but it is a crucial lift to the Sugarbush lift system. I am just trying to point out ways to make sure that the two mountains are connected more often that do not require too much $$$

No it isn't. You can ski 100% of Sugarbush's terrain without Slide Brook running. And you have shuttles as an alternate when it is not running to get between the mountains. Therefore I fail to see how it can be classified as "crucial".

I'm still not even sure I understand what you think you can regrade/widen/etc and how that would actually help the lift run more. Many years it does run the majority of the time that ME is open, so no matter what you do I still don't see that you're even going to add that many more days to justify any ROI on even a small investment.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yet you don't know how much it would cost

I don't either, but I'd imagine it's probably seven figures given the length and topography; nevermind what you'd pay the state for the permits

And that money spent doesn't guarantee it snows enough to have it running Christmas week.....

MilanYVR

You why U gotta be rude like that. Hes just asking a valid question about most likely his favourite ski lift. Also, nobody wants to the bus. Its like taking a stupid tram where you have to take off your skis. Nobody likes that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You why U gotta be rude like that. Hes just asking a valid question about most likely his favourite ski lift. Also, nobody wants to the bus. Its like taking a stupid tram where you have to take off your skis. Nobody likes that.
Slidebrook

Let me make this clear. We don't allow aliases / imaginary friends on this forum

Hawk

Slidebrook, instead of coming on here and asking the same question over and over again. You should just use your energy to convince your father to sell his claybrook unit and buy over at north. That way the lift will never be an issue. ;-)

pinnoke

Funny comment about the aliases, especially in light of the recent Burlington, VT police chief situation :)
Slidebrook has singlehandedly brought pages and pages of responses these past couple of weeks. As soon as there's some decent snow on the slopes, we'll have a lot less time to be focusing on the what ifs, and will be quite satisfied with what Sugarbush does indeed have to deliver.

machski

You do get that Slidebrook is suppose to remain undeveloped and in its natural state. Do you honestly think given the history of Slidebrook that a regrading/widening project would get Act 250 approval?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Greg

Staff member
It may seem odd to you why I like Slide Brook so much, but when I’m up skiing for one day, I want to be able to ski both mountains in a quick and efficient manner.

Take your right ski boot off and drive over. If you drive a stick, I don't have a solution for ya...

STREETSKIER

Dude how is slide-brook crucial to sugarbush lifts system it never runs , who cares like hawk said take the bus I would rather ski to the bus when possible enough slide brook banter lets talk weather, skiing fun face shots sick lines deep pow , blower , gnar , off the richter etc yea like today this is what I heard they were Planning on building a tunnel lift in slide brook so they did some testing that caused a major slide which is visible from the top of north lynx project scrapped dam

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just curious, how difficult would it be to spend $25,000-$50,000 in providing better access to the Slide Brook liftline? This would ensure a reliable connection between both mountains most days of the days that Mt. Ellen is open. Up until somewhere 2004, evacuation of Slide Brook was disregarded. $50,000 to make a lift a heck of a lot more reliable would be worth it in the long run. I understand that the lift operations department makes choices about when to run lifts, but if Alterra were to invest in this and provide yearly evacuation trainings, the lift could run a lot more than it currently does.

One of the main reasons that I originally wanted to ski Sugarbush was the fact of how big it was and two unique mountains could be skied in one day by only a short lift ride. When I got to Sugarbush however, I was disappointed to see that I had to take a bus instead. I schlepped my ski gear down to the parking lot and waited 15 minutes for a bus (it arrived about 10 minutes late). I had to wait inside the bus for about 10 more minutes waiting for other people. The bus ride took another 10 minutes until I was finally at Mt. Ellen. In this time I could’ve ridden SlideBrook 3 times.

It may seem odd to you why I like Slide Brook so much, but when I’m up skiing for one day, I want to be able to ski both mountains in a quick and efficient manner.

I don’t think money solves the issue. The GMNF/NFS set the rule regarding snow cover IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SlidebrookB7

O how I dream at night of riding the glorious Slidebrook lift into the heady azure sky, light the color of rich honey streaming from the morning sun. The chair, like an iron cradle, sweeps me swiftly through the cold alpine air above a pure white snowpack. I ride like a god, fire in my blood as I survey infinity in all directions, and lo! I can feel the world tremble before me. My soul is free and unfettered as I am raised immortal in spirit, liberated from all that is earthly and base. Transcendence is mine for I am not on the lowly bus, that sooty tool of the devil. And I be not alone! No, I share these deepest moments of meaning with my dearest friends, "NE Chairlifts & Skiing" and MilanYVR. They share my bliss, and our hearts beat as one. We three, speeding over majestic towers, have magnificence in our grasp. Is it not too much to ask that the ride never end?

Last edited:

Hawk

I'm out boys. I am going to be on first chair tomorrow to reap whatever comes. Good luck with your poet Laurent friend here. LOL

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've always wondered though if other ski areas had curtailments as well or whether it was just something to do with a lack of capacity specifically within the MRV.

NYSEG charges significantly more/less for electrical power at Thunder Ridge depending on the time of day... and we're smack in the middle of suburban NY. So it's definitely not a rural/MRV thing. It's more expensive in the day and at night it's a lot cheaper as demand drops off. This is at least my understanding of it.

That said, Gsotto and crew will still be making snow in the middle of March, and be one of the final few ski areas in the northeast to blow snow for the season :beer: