• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ericfromMA/NH/VT

I like the wide spaced trees, makes for a prettier trail, and I'm not comfortable in a true glade just yet. Murphys, sleeper, and birches are all just more terrain that are great for my skill level and thats cool with me! just hoping for no rain and no bad winds at this point.

I seem to bring rain and wind with me every freakin time I come up north...:sad: I was at bretton woods over new years, the mountain that never has wind effecting the lifts, right? they did the day I was there. quad shut down 1/2 hour into the day. at least we got a ton of powder though.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

i should do that. i've looked into tear drop trailers, but my little rogue sport isn't really built to tow, and i dont have a garage/driveway and parking my car with a trailer on brooklyn streets is just a comical concept. pick up with a camper would be more doable. would be a pretty hardcore move, but would save me a lot of midnight driving if i could just comfortably sleep in parking lots.

bdfreetuna

I was thinking of adding a used Nissan Xterra to my vehicular line-up and potentially car camping.

I think I have higher aspirations now though.

BenedictGomez

That's not true. BG IS the utmost authority on virtually any subject. Just ask him. Big brain on that guy. Tremendous IQ. No one knows more about all the things than he does.

PROJECTING: psychological defense mechanism in which individuals attribute characteristics they find unacceptable in themselves to another person.

BenedictGomez

Does this Endless Winter Pow-chaser belong to anyone here? Living the dream... (note the NJ plates)

That. Is. Awesome.

Not really needed at Sugarbush, but it would be great for places with little to no lodging (e.g. Plattekill, Gore, etc.)

KustyTheKlown

That. Is. Awesome.

Not really needed at Sugarbush, but it would be great for places with little to no lodging (e.g. Plattekill, Gore, etc.)

my interest in teardrop trailers was piqued at belleayre two years ago. this couple had the coolest set up and were gracious enough to let my gf and i take a very close look. super cool. basically a small queen size bedroom on wheels with a kitchen that pops up out of the back of the trailer.

parahelia

The "Sugarbush Thread"

We rented a truck camper just like that to travel around BC/Alberta last summer - it was amazing. Truck campers are great because they can go almost anywhere and you’ve always got your kit with you. After a hike we could take a beer out of the propane fridge, cook something on the stove, then take a shower. Totally luxurious after decades of tent camping. It even had a propane heater so we didn’t get cold when nighttime temps dropped below freezing.

Definitely gave us the itch to get one for ski bumming....

b4bfb0bee223c65fd0de5f3c4b4f9c3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smellytele

my interest in teardrop trailers was piqued at belleayre two years ago. this couple had the coolest set up and were gracious enough to let my gf and i take a very close look. super cool. basically a small queen size bedroom on wheels with a kitchen that pops up out of the back of the trailer.

Wife and I keep talking about a T@B teardrop trailer. When we were dating a got a fortune cookie that said I would spend my old age traveling around in a motor home.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

We rented a truck camper just like that to travel around BC/Alberta last summer - it was amazing.

I've noticed truck camper, pop-up camper, and RV ownership in some places out west is astronomically high, and I'm guessing it's because of all the amazing National & State parks out there. Utah for instance, it seems like every third home you pass has an RV or camper of some form, many of the houses even have RV-specific garages. Just seems bizarre to an easterner (but in a cool way).

Orca

FYI, GMX is down tomorrow. Maintenance action, probably related to the lightning strike and running on diesel this season. Why choose Saturday? Don't know.

parahelia

I've noticed truck camper, pop-up camper, and RV ownership in some places out west is astronomically high, and I'm guessing it's because of all the amazing National & State parks out there. Utah for instance, it seems like every third home you pass has an RV or camper of some form, many of the houses even have RV-specific garages. Just seems bizarre to an easterner (but in a cool way).

No kidding - they’re everywhere. There’s actually an Airbnb-like service where people rent out their campers while they’re sitting idle. I looked into it (outdoorsy.com) but decided to go with one of the big rental companies; lots of fiddly systems that can go wrong with a camper. But there were oodles of people renting out their personal campers out of Calgary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinS

FYI, GMX is down tomorrow. Maintenance action, probably related to the lightning strike and running on diesel this season. Why choose Saturday? Don't know.

Orca, you don't do an optional maintenance on a Saturday. We had a small electrical fire in the upper terminal and the lift maintenance crew have been doing a great job of getting things repaired and hopefully can have it completed today. Nothing related to lightning strike of running on diesel.

Orca

Orca, you don't do an optional maintenance on a Saturday. We had a small electrical fire in the upper terminal and the lift maintenance crew have been doing a great job of getting things repaired and hopefully can have it completed today. Nothing related to lightning strike of running on diesel.

Fair enough, you are right. I should not have casually speculated as to why GMX is down, but it has been operating in a suboptimal mode. Perhaps when such things are put on the website, "unanticipated maintenance action" would help readers understand. You might even receive more goodwill from anyone frustrated by the closing using the words "we apologize that GMX will be down for unanticipated maintenance are are hopeful to return it to service..."

MEtoVTSkier

Fair enough, you are right. I should not have casually speculated as to why GMX is down, but it has been operating in a suboptimal mode. Perhaps when such things are put on the website, "unanticipated maintenance action" would help readers understand. You might even receive more goodwill from anyone frustrated by the closing using the words "we apologize that GMX will be down for unanticipated maintenance are are hopeful to return it to service..."

You were just hired as the new web services reporter. Please report to Human Resources in the morning... :lol::lol::lol:

WinS

Valid point. We did get GMX open at 8:42am. Our lift team did an incredible job of problem solving and finding the solutions to get GMX up and running as quickly as they did. When I first heard the news, I feared it might have been a lot worse that it was and we might have been down for days in not weeks. I just came back from ME and it is busy but no lift lines. The fear of it being down for the day may have moved more over to LP today where it is busier.

jaybird

Nice job resolving the GMX issue.
Team Win!

Last edited:

ducky

Along the lines of renting an RV, my wife went fat biking on the Rikert Trails at Middlebury today. $15 to rent a maybe $1000 fat bike and $15 for the trail pass. Would seem that renting vs buying is the smarter play when you consider how much mud and salt are kicked up hanging off the back of a vehicle during transport. I guess it depends on how often you ride. A great sport for ski fitness and another thing to do on snow.

She is on the board of the Mad River Riders and always checking out potential options to improve riding here in the MRV. Rikert and Burke's Kingdom Trails can charge usage fees, whereas the MRR depend on donations to ride the terrain they improve on public forest land in the MRV. If you can, consider a donation. http://www.madriverriders.com