The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 650

AlpineZone

Page 650 of 809 FirstFirst ... 150550600640648649650651652660700750 ... LastLast
Results 6,491 to 6,500 of 8089
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    What "data" is being collected on people skiing Rumble. They got a secret RFID gate at the top of it?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    If there was data, it would back up the information I said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at a couple of resort master plans and most state that the expert skier market in North America is around 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Look at a couple of resort master plans and most state that the expert skier market in North America is around 5%.
    That distribution varies widely depending on type of terrain available. A place like Sugarbush might have 20% of their market be expert skiers vs a place like Okemo having 2%.

That distribution varies widely depending on type of terrain available. A place like Sugarbush might have 20% of their market be expert skiers vs a place like Okemo having 2%.

Fair enough, but as the climate warms, it’s increasingly harder to justify cutting a natural snow trail that won’t always be open. It just doesn’t appeal to the average customer either. Look at Sugarbush, many of the people are just families lapping Gate House all day long.

And much higher midweek.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post
    Fair enough, but as the climate warms, it’s increasingly harder to justify cutting a natural snow trail that won’t always be open. It just doesn’t appeal to the average customer either. Look at Sugarbush, many of the people are just families lapping Gate House all day long.

I don't see a point being reached where a trail like Rumble doesn't open at least 30 days a season. If it does get to that point, the people who want to ski that type of terrain aren't going to say, "screw it. widen it and put in snowmaking and grooming on it."

Just look at Tramline at Cannon. It probably opens less than 30 days a season on average. I don't think you'll find many people suggesting they should line it with dynamite, flatten it and put in snowmaking. They've already got Profile or Avalanche to ski that type of experience. You simply just have to be patient and opportunistic to experience it for what it is.

I never said that those trails would change, but it would not be economically viable to cut new ones.

I'm envisioning lifts, trail pods and connector trails added into the spaces between LP, ME and MRG and it sort of, abstractly, reminds me of another place LBO once owned...

But it would be to replace Inverness with a HSQ and move that chair onto a new terrain pod above it? That's like a $15M project.

You could literaly put another trail like Rumble between it and Middle Earth for probably a couple hundred grand. That's something different and unique that other areas aren't doing and most certainly would generate some buzz.

I will say this. Yes he is right in a general scene. There are more beginner-intermediate skiers at Sugarbush then there are experts. These people may want to see more trails and marked areas than there are now. Problem is the areas that they put the new trails will most likely be were we already ski. I don't care If I am a minority, I don't want to see good areas get wiped out because we have to cater to people. Call me selfish.

Thread Information