• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Just a comment about trail hiking etiquette (on the Long Trail) as a fight nearly broke out ahead of me: just let faster people pass and move aside. No need to deliberately hold up folks who are either fitter or faster. You wouldn't do it if hiking in the summer, don't do it in the winter.

What the heck do people think they accomplish by trying not to let others pass them? I'm perfectly content to let people pass me as I hate when I have the feeling of people catching up to me.

TSQURD

What the heck do people think they accomplish by trying not to let others pass them? I'm perfectly content to let people pass me as I hate when I have the feeling of people catching up to me.

I think everyone needs to be a little more courteous. I've hiked over to CR only twice this year, but both times witnessed people almost come to blows. I just don't get it. Today, I was waiting for the slower part of my group (off to the side so people could get by) at the spot where you click in for the last down before castlerock. A family making the hike for the first time was starting down leaving appropriate space. In the time they took to get going a small (3-4 people) back up formed. The next guy comes up and just about pushed the the guy ahead of him over to get by. Really unnecessary, and didn't go over well, obviously, with the guy that got pushed. In both cases the instigator was old enough to know better.

shipyardcreek

I have not witnessed any confrontations when I hike. I always let faster people pass, but there a few places where it is not possible to step aside, so those in back have to be patient for a minute or two. Everyone has been polite. Anyway, what does it matter if you are a minute later, the snow is not going to melt.

HowieT2

I've been following this blog for years and I think he's been pretty solid. Heading up next weekend so hopefully things set up well next week. Would like to see CR start spinning.

unfortunately the overnight model runs didn’t do us any favors.

slatham

unfortunately the overnight model runs didn’t do us any favors.

Not according to the Euro. And the Euro has been trending better. It caught onto the Sunday storm being cold/snow well before GFS. Though admittedly for SB there is the risk the storm goes TOO far south. Has been trending better for Wednesday too and now would be as modeled all snow.

cdskier

I've been following this blog for years and I think he's been pretty solid. Heading up next weekend so hopefully things set up well next week. Would like to see CR start spinning.

Same here...although I do think the past few years he's been a bit more guilty of "wish-casting" at times.

jaybird

Josh Rocks !

What's all this about Skate / Golf at North on Friday?
Is it a par 5 and are East German judges involved?

Happy New Year !

GregoryIsaacs

This uncourteous behavior is not something new with Suugarbush.

Every time ive skied there I get the worst sense of entitlement from the skiers which sucks because the employees, mountain setup and terrain are all top notch. I was there last year when a grown man physically fought a 13 year old kid in the lift line and I am now seriously contemplating trying out Bolton Valley or MRG instead on my yearly NVT trip this year.

Ive never seen so many goretex wearing NE skiing hardos in my life. 4 inches of snow doesnt give you the right to run through people like bowling pins just so you can "get yours"........

mikec142

Every time ive skied there I get the worst sense of entitlement from the skiers which sucks because the employees, mountain setup and terrain are all top notch. I was there last year when a grown man physically fought a 13 year old kid in the lift line and I am now seriously contemplating trying out Bolton Valley or MRG instead on my yearly NVT trip this year.

Ive never seen so many goretex wearing NE skiing hardos in my life. 4 inches of snow doesnt give you the right to run through people like bowling pins just so you can "get yours"........

I don't want to discount your experience. However, these kind of posts crack me up. Your data subset is so small as to be statistically insignificant. Not to mention that your data set is subject to your feelings. I would counter your comments with, I regularly drive 90 minutes further north than I have to just to ski at SB for multiple reasons. One of them is that I find the skiers to be kind, courteous and talented. What does this show? It shows that it's easy to have the exact opposite experience when analyzing poor data.

TheArchitect

On the other hand, the guy could have just stepped aside and let them pass.

Do you think it's okay for someone who's acting like a jerk to get his way (aka passing the guy who was pushed)? There is no "on the other hand" when it comes to someone pushing down another person to get by. None. Maybe the guy should have stepped aside but that doesn't make the aggressors behavior acceptable.

cdskier

I don't want to discount your experience. However, these kind of posts crack me up. Your data subset is so small as to be statistically insignificant. Not to mention that your data set is subject to your feelings. I would counter your comments with, I regularly drive 90 minutes further north than I have to just to ski at SB for multiple reasons. One of them is that I find the skiers to be kind, courteous and talented. What does this show? It shows that it's easy to have the exact opposite experience when analyzing poor data.

Agreed...I'm a 40+ day a year skier at SB (and from January-closing day those days are pretty much weekends only). I've rarely seen any rude behavior from the skiers at SB. I'm sure it happens from time to time (as it does probably at almost all major resorts), however the vast majority of skiers I've interacted with have been exactly as you describe. As for the specific incident mentioned in the previous post, if my memory serves me correct, that person was essentially banned from SB after that incident (and wasn't a passholder).

HowieT2

Agreed...I'm a 40+ day a year skier at SB (and from January-closing day those days are pretty much weekends only). I've rarely seen any rude behavior from the skiers at SB. I'm sure it happens from time to time (as it does probably at almost all major resorts), however the vast majority of skiers I've interacted with have been exactly as you describe. As for the specific incident mentioned in the previous post, if my memory serves me correct, that person was essentially banned from SB after that incident (and wasn't a passholder).

+1.

ducky

Do you think it's okay for someone who's acting like a jerk to get his way (aka passing the guy who was pushed)? There is no "on the other hand" when it comes to someone pushing down another person to get by. None. Maybe the guy should have stepped aside but that doesn't make the aggressors behavior acceptable.

I was actually there, literally behind these two, and your description is not what happened at all. Nobody got pushed down. Frankly the guy in front did not have his skis on and the guy behind did and was ready to go. The skiers that were waiting for friends were standing aside and the guy behind with his GF asked if he could pass and the guy in front said, "yes, I do mind, I was here first." To which the guy behind pointed out the other's skis were not on and tried make his way past. The first guy blocked his way, made a big fuss and put his skis on and went first.

2 minutes later, the guy in front was complaining to patrol in the shack when the guy who tried to push past walked in and totally apologized. In the end the air was clear and all was good. Frankly, the guy who tried to get past totally took responsibility and was quite honorable.

Probably, both guys acted out of character and regret the whole thing.

Griswold

Complaining to Patrol? Haha what a baby. Not seeing how this is the 2nd guy’s fault. What’s the harm in someone going first if you’re not ready?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Griswold

There is no denying there are plenty of people with the entitled, God’s gift to skiing attitude at Sugarbush, especially on a powder day. Now that I think of it, plenty of people on here have that attitude. Guess that’s why this thread gets so much action!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

STREETSKIER

Amazing what a feeding frenzy happens when it snows
Today was really good light crowds super snow , looks like north lynx next ? Tomorrow ? Or sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STREETSKIER