• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

You know I never realize that the Bravo went down. I was either at HG, Castlerock or skiing slide brook all day. No crowds to speak of and the snow was great. I also really enjoyed the 90's set from the Grift on Friday night. That was a fun weekend.

Bumpsis

You know I never realize that the Bravo went down. I was either at HG, Castlerock or skiing slide brook all day. No crowds to speak of and the snow was great. I also really enjoyed the 90's set from the Grift on Friday night. That was a fun weekend.
I was there on Friday as well and was not affected by S. Bravo's issue - it did stop for probably 5-10 minutes when we were on it, but I didn't think much of it.
I'm of slightly different opinion on the snow conditions.

It was less than optimal on a lot of trails. By my reckoning, it was actually pretty icy just about everywhere I went on SB main. I did not venture into Slide brook or Sugarbush North. From Lincoln peak, - ice city.Ripcord up on the top - I just had to side slip a lot of my turns and check my speed on "snow islands". Lower Ripcord had a nice, short sequence of moguls. But that's about it.
Judging by a couple of mogul runs under the Valley House quad, which were the least skied off, I decided to not even bother with Castle Rock. From what I heard on the chair rides - it was quite icy up there as well.

The groomed blues skied fairly well and Spring Fling was where I really enjoyed some high speed turns. So, I did have fun, but really had to pick my way carefully on a lot of trails. They need a good dump or spring temps to start morphing their snow to corn.

Did you catch the two jet fighters (national guard??) buzzing Lincoln Peak?

KustyTheKlown

lincoln peak is always ice city. they overgroom it, and a lot of the essential connectors (like the trails you take from super bravo to heavens gate) are a high traffic glare ice nightmare.

i won't ski lincoln peak anymore unless its a powder day. the experience is better in every single way at mount ellen.

i saw fighter planes on saturday at stowe.

drjeff

lincoln peak is always ice city. they overgroom it, and a lot of the essential connectors (like the trails you take from super bravo to heavens gate) are a high traffic glare ice nightmare.

i won't ski lincoln peak anymore unless its a powder day. the experience is better in every single way at mount ellen.

i saw fighter planes on saturday at stowe.

The fighter planes on Saturday had one going basically between the top of North Lynx chair and Castlerock and the 2nd jet basically right over the top of the North Lynx Chair around noon, and an altitude I'm guessing not much more than 1000 feet above the ridges. I was about 10 chairs from the top terminal of North Lynx when the fly by happened, and it was a really cool experience! Spent the rest of the day with various songs and lines from Top Gun going through my head after that! ;)

cdskier

I was there on Friday as well and was not affected by S. Bravo's issue - it did stop for probably 5-10 minutes when we were on it, but I didn't think much of it.
I'm of slightly different opinion on the snow conditions.

It was less than optimal on a lot of trails. By my reckoning, it was actually pretty icy just about everywhere I went on SB main. I did not venture into Slide brook or Sugarbush North. From Lincoln peak, - ice city.Ripcord up on the top - I just had to side slip a lot of my turns and check my speed on "snow islands". Lower Ripcord had a nice, short sequence of moguls. But that's about it.
Judging by a couple of mogul runs under the Valley House quad, which were the least skied off, I decided to not even bother with Castle Rock. From what I heard on the chair rides - it was quite icy up there as well.

The groomed blues skied fairly well and Spring Fling was where I really enjoyed some high speed turns. So, I did have fun, but really had to pick my way carefully on a lot of trails. They need a good dump or spring temps to start morphing their snow to corn.

The Super Bravo issue was on Saturday, not Friday.

I thought Saturday at Lincoln Peak was quite good. I actually commented how I thought the groomed runs were some of the softest I had seen in quite a while. I also thought the natural trails had minimal ice and were in decent shape (actually ice isn't even the right word for what I did find as it was more just a couple hard-packed firm spots but not true ice).

Unbeknownst to me until today, my cousin was up there Thursday and Friday. He skied LP on Friday and when I was talking with him earlier today he said it was good. He mentioned two of his buddies went up Castlerock and reported that Middle Earth was in pretty good shape as well.

TSQURD

It's funny how different perspectives are on the conditions. Yes, another storm would be nice, but we skied Lincoln Peak the past 4 days, and totally agree with Hawk. Unless one just wants to ski groomers, there is plenty of soft snow at LP, even off of Bravo.

We were near the top on Bravo when the fighters flew by, the one seemed to be more next to us rather than above us. At least one of the pilots skis at SB, met him on the lift last year, that was a pretty cool conversation.

smac75

Same! I had no idea Bravo was down. I was off riding trails I've never been on in the 15 years we've been going to SB - getting a little braver - we tried the woods to the right of Spillsville (Spillsville Woods?). They were super fun! I think I can say I've graduated from Eden :)

We attempted the woods at the top of Ripcord (that little chute behind the lift) but I think we messed up because it got thick real fast so we jumped back out. SB is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Travis from Splinters set me up on two awesome demo boards - the Never Summer Aura and the GNU Ladies Choice - it was a very tough decision but I went with the GNU and can't wait to break it in this weekend.

TSQURD

Same! I had no idea Bravo was down. I was off riding trails I've never been on in the 15 years we've been going to SB - getting a little braver - we tried the woods to the right of Spillsville (Spillsville Woods?). They were super fun! I think I can say I've graduated from Eden :)

We attempted the woods at the top of Ripcord (that little chute behind the lift) but I think we messed up because it got thick real fast so we jumped back out. SB is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Travis from Splinters set me up on two awesome demo boards - the Never Summer Aura and the GNU Ladies Choice - it was a very tough decision but I went with the GNU and can't wait to break it in this weekend.

I think we took a few runs together after Blazer drop off - you have one in Bob's group?

smac75

I think we took a few runs together after Blazer drop off - you have one in Bob's group?

Hey there! Yep, that was me! Thanks again for the awesome couple runs together! I heard you guys ended up over at Church Sunday! Awesome! I'll do that one day! It was great skiing with you - let's do it again!

Julius

I thought Saturday at Lincoln Peak was quite good. I actually commented how I thought the groomed runs were some of the softest I had seen in quite a while. I also thought the natural trails had minimal ice and were in decent shape (actually ice isn't even the right word for what I did find as it was more just a couple hard-packed firm spots but not true ice)...

With closing in on 65 days mostly at the Bushy, I couldn't agree more with Fri/Sat conditions for comparison at South. Both sunny bluebird for the most part and very confident setting a big ole groomer edge. Had two separate crews from neighboring resorts so with Bravo going down was an initial bummer but that got resolved in good time and all had a blast.

Regarding the fly-over, We're honored to have known a couple of these pilots for a very long time. Many more that we've known over the yrs own condos at the Bush..big representation by the Green Mountain Boys so sometimes a fly-by here is a hats off to the Bush.

99433814c8d404345c1ed76e73bba0e7.jpg

Last edited:

Bumpsis

With closing in on 65 days mostly at the Bushy, I couldn't agree more with Fri/Sat conditions for comparison. Both sunny bluebird for the most part and very confident setting a big ole groomer edge. Had two separate crews from neighboring resorts so with Bravo going down was an initial bummer but that got resolved in good time and all had a blast.

Regarding the fly-over, I'm honored to have known a couple of these pilots for a very long time. Many more that I've met over the yrs own condos at the Bush..big representation so sometimes a fly-by here is a hats off to the Bush. Ya might see em fly over next Wed/Thr.. not promising, just sayin.
d263cced4e94e2d65d55236c0140c8ed.jpg

Cool pic - it really was amazing to see of these things scream by, seemingly just in front of me, turned sideways (wings in vertical orientation). I'm also really glad I don't have to fear it when I see one in the sky :)

drjeff

Cool pic - it really was amazing to see of these things scream by, seemingly just in front of me, turned sideways (wings in vertical orientation). I'm also really glad I don't have to fear it when I see one in the sky :)
I will say, that the Friday/Saturday fly overs made the girls racing in the U16 states on Inverness/Brambles feel like the World Cup racers at Killington in November!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

i saw fighter planes on saturday at
Lincoln peak
Yes very icy north is a better bet ( insert barfing sound effects)
Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited:

Hawk

I know that my assessment is a little rosy but Krusty's is the other end of the spectrum. I will say that where I skied was absolutely fine. I ski all trail edges and in and out of the woods. Yes if you skied the middles of the trails, then you got ice and considering the weather history over the past 2 weeks, what would you expect. It has nothing to do with over grooming....and you have to remember that snowmaking ended over two weeks ago so It is what it is.

I skied good edgable snow on trail edges and north facing woods both days at Ellen and Lincoln and they were both the same.

ducky

I skied good edgable snow on trail edges and north facing woods both days at Ellen and Lincoln and they were both the same.

And they're still there and skiing quite well all week. Key is north-facing as south-facing woods are crusty. Groomers all morning before hitting the trees today and they were excellent too.

prsboogie

I know this has been discussed in here somewhere BUT, safest route to Bush off 89N heading from NH would be??? Inquiring minds want to know. Also not sure if anyone will be around on Friday but I could have a pair of tickets for $100 if someone needed a pair, essentially BOGO - prepurchase today is $107.10. DM if interested.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

ducky

I know this has been discussed in here somewhere BUT, safest route to Bush off 89N heading from NH would be??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Having done this literally hundreds of times, I now usually take Exit 4, up 12A and over the Roxbury Gap. Depends on recent freeze/thaw, mud season, whether better to ride or get off 89, etc. Can take exits 3, 4, 5, and 9 with very little difference in the end drive times, +/- maybe 10 min. Safest is probably Exit 9 and down (Rte 2 to) 100B to 100 - all paved with longer but higher speed stretch of 89. That said if 89 is slow, get off earlier. Most scenic is Exit 3 to Bethel/Rochester Mtn Rd and up Rte 100.

mrvpilgrim

I have been making the drive from south of Boston into the valley 20 - 25 weekends a year for the last 9 years
I have tried all possible options from the south exit 3 to route 107 to 100 , Exit 4 to 12a to Roxbury gap, exit 5 to lovers lane to Roxbury gap,and exit 9 to 100b to 100 into the valley.
In my opinion they all within 15 minutes of the same drive time.
Your question is the safest route. exit 9 to 100 b stays on all paved state Roads without dealing with gaps or passing through Granville gulch. This is my go to route at night or in inclement weather

bumpcrasher

I have been making the drive from south of Boston into the valley 20 - 25 weekends a year for the last 9 years
I have tried all possible options from the south exit 3 to route 107 to 100 , Exit 4 to 12a to Roxbury gap, exit 5 to lovers lane to Roxbury gap,and exit 9 to 100b to 100 into the valley.
In my opinion they all within 15 minutes of the same drive time.
Your question is the safest route. exit 9 to 100 b stays on all paved state Roads without dealing with gaps or passing through Granville gulch. This is my go to route at night or in inclement weather

AGREED!! I'm a dork and have timed it out. Exit 4 and 5 are almost the same. Exit 9 is by far the safest but yeah, costs you 15 minutes.