• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ktrerotola

I scout, recon, hike and visit my potential back country lines in the summer and then Ski them in the winter. I never post them or tell anybody were I have been or where I am considering going. Only my ski partner wife. You know what? When I get there and ski these lines, there are absolutely no tracks.....ever. This used to be the case for side country also. No more. Today this is totally lost with a young culture that wants everything handed to them. I will just keep my secrets to myself and never give them up. Posting them on any form of electronic tracking system is just giving it away for free. I will have no part of that.

I hear you Hawk. Any tracking I do is uploaded privately (and really done for 1) safety in the Backcountry and 2) future self reference) - I’m definitely not sharing that. However, I will reference what other people have tracked to inform my summer/fall scouting efforts.

But whoever said “powder hours not powder day” is so spot on. Amazing how quick we see it all get tracked out.

It is annoying that people are posting these routes on FATMAP and elsewhere, but what are you gonna do?(Immediately goes to check if someone put up a route for the South Bowl at Cannon...

CastlerockMRV

There’s nothing I like to read more on here than people complaining that “their” “secret” stashes are no longer secret because of an online post or YouTube video that gets a couple hundred views. Do you really think the people actively looking online for info aren’t just as willing to following some obvious tracks into the woods? Or have you secret stash owners figured out a way to float over snow and not create tracks into them?

I take off my skis and carefully climb trees limb to limb until it's safe enough to drop in. Leave No Trace.

But realistically I do think there's a legitimate difference between talking about it on a place like this forum which seems to have maybe 2-3 dozen active participants vs. logging stuff on FATMAP or Strava.

Hawk

This is the internet and we live in America. To that extent you can have whatever opinion you want. But I am not showing anyone anything unless you come to me and ask and show me you can actually ski. I do share on occasion. Just like Treeskier and others did for people like me and Orca. Howie is a different animal. He appears and then disappears in a white puff of snow. I never know where he is going. The community in the back country is the same people day in and day out. I see the same faces at the bus and in the woods every weekend. But my favorite is when I see people in the woods that ask "where does this go" or "can i follow you" It takes all I have not to tell them to go blow or send them in the wrong direction. I don't because I feel responsible and usually screw up my own plan to get them out. I truly hate that.

Los

This is the internet and we live in America. To that extent you can have whatever opinion you want. But I am not showing anyone anything unless you come to me and ask and show me you can actually ski. I do share on occasion. Just like Treeskier and others did for people like me and Orca. Howie is a different animal. He appears and then disappears in a white puff of snow. I never know where he is going. The community in the back country is the same people day in and day out. I see the same faces at the bus and in the woods every weekend. But my favorite is when I see people in the woods that ask "where does this go" or "can i follow you" It takes all I have not to tell them to go blow or send them in the wrong direction. I don't because I feel responsible and usually screw up my own plan to get them out. I truly hate that.

Wow. Just... wow.

HowieT2

Lol! I don't even know where Im going or where I am for that matter.

Orca

I can personally attest that Hawk has a generous spirit and is a lot of fun to ski trees with. He's even pointed me in the right direction a time or two. ;)

MorningWoods

I take off my skis and carefully climb trees limb to limb until it's safe enough to drop in. Leave No Trace.

But realistically I do think there's a legitimate difference between talking about it on a place like this forum which seems to have maybe 2-3 dozen active participants vs. logging stuff on FATMAP or Strava.

I think it’s a combination of technology, better equipment and the growing popularity of backcountry skiing. Just look at the skimos and the wait list associated with that program. If you’re worried about people finding lines reasonably accessible off of a lift served resort in this day and age, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. I wouldn’t count marked woods trails on the sugarbush map. That’s crazy town, of course those get skied to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

Great day today. A bit crowded but good conditions other than the wind blown stuff off of Bravo. Lower FIS skied great groomed but it makes the runout seem so much longer. I skied Exterminator and Spillsville for the first time too.
641239cb88a50797008149c5b536ff12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

fun at Lincoln Peak today, especially walking to the car at ~3:45 as a hundred costumed dogs were all arriving and walking past me