The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 538

AlpineZone

Page 538 of 578 FirstFirst ... 38438488528536537538539540548 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,380 of 5774
  1. #5371
    If you are a one board guy, get a Burton Skeleton Key. It does everything really, really well!
    Travis has a 154 demo

  2. #5372
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey254 View Post
    If you are a one board guy, get a Burton Skeleton Key. It does everything really, really well!
    Travis has a 154 demo
    Thanks! i'll check it out Sat. Definitely a one board "gal"

  3. #5373
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    No need to get defensive. It's just an observation. Nothing to do with Castle Rock or Sugarbush. My home mountain seeds a lot of bumps and I've seen it first hand. A weird asymmetry between right and left troughs on some steep lines that made complete sense after watching some boarders ride them. It's a lot harder to make wide curving troughs with your toe edge, since it involves turning your back to the fall-line or twisting in a very unnatural way. It's much easier to swoop out the tail of a board when turning on your heel edge and facing downhill. I'm not saying this happens often - conditions and traffic have to be right and the bumps have to be pretty immature and soft. I've seen may share of boarders who can rip bumps. And I fully agree with those in the thread who noted that shaped skis have had much more of an impact on how natural bumps have changed over the past 20-25 years than boarders. But the idea that board traffic will create the same kind of bump lines as skier traffic when the mechanics of the two are so different - well, I'm not convinced.
    Good thread and discussion. Rider here, 30 years exp starting in 1989, 100 days+/yr, etc. Riding has changed the last few years in that most everyone now, due to modern board technology, rides a duck stance with similar, symmetrical angles front and (-) rear. It took me a while to change from alpine (both feet pointing forward, shoulders facing the fall line) to duck (sideways stance) but I do prefer it now and toe-turn initiation is precise and tight. In the old alpine stance days, there were definitely more different turns shapes, toe and heelside - today not so much. Additionally, I have many boards in current rotation and they all ride differently; I suspect the same for skiers, say all-mountain carvers vs powder skies vs race skis, etc.
    I was on CR Liftline today with the thread in mind and observed there was no rhythm at all to the bumps and barely a snowboard ventures there. What you do see more of at CR and MRG are tele skiers and (perhaps not at MRG) kids with no poles in the backseat. No-pole skiers are skiing their tails more than their tips so this too changes bump shape.
    There are just too many types of skis and skiers, riders and boards, tele-skiers (two main types here too with knee-to-the-ski vs the more elegant upright stance), park rats, etc to make any generalizations. My 2˘.
    Damn cold today but conditions are excellent and a clipper to move through tomorrow. Bump runs' leeward left sides did better with lots of blown in snow.
    To smac75: Travis will get you on the right board.
    Last edited by ducky; Feb 26, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

  4. #5374
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    To smac75: Travis will get you on the right board.
    I'm a skier, but I'll say just in general that Travis is a great guy. Obviously have no experience with boards themselves, but I do go to his shop for other accessories (goggles, etc). Very fair prices too. The extra lens he ordered for me a few weeks ago was actually cheaper from him than it would have been online. (I didn't even find out the price until I was paying for it as I picked it up because I knew he would be reasonable).

  5. #5375
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Good thread and discussion. Rider here, 30 years exp starting in 1989, 100 days+/yr, etc. Riding has changed the last few years in that most everyone now, due to modern board technology, rides a duck stance with similar, symmetrical angles front and (-) rear. It took me a while to change from alpine (both feet pointing forward, shoulders facing the fall line) to duck (sideways stance) but I do prefer it now and toe-turn initiation is precise and tight.
    Interesting. It looks like the boarders competing in slalom events and hitting those incredible angles while carving still have both feet facing downhill, but I definitely see most boarders using a duck stance these days. I imagine that is due in no small measure to the influence park riding and the need to land/take off switch. I still get the impression that new boarders or boarder who find themselves in over their heads tend to dig in on their heel sides when the start getting too much speed. That would be my instinctive way of stopping, but I have no idea if that's how new boarders are taught to stop.

  6. #5376
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Interesting. It looks like the boarders competing in slalom events and hitting those incredible angles while carving still have both feet facing downhill, but I definitely see most boarders using a duck stance these days. I imagine that is due in no small measure to the influence park riding and the need to land/take off switch. I still get the impression that new boarders or boarder who find themselves in over their heads tend to dig in on their heel sides when the start getting too much speed. That would be my instinctive way of stopping, but I have no idea if that's how new boarders are taught to stop.
    You are correct re race boards. Different tech, hard boots, metal bindings, canting. Sweet to watch a good hard-booter carving with hands down. In the late 80s and early 90s, many boards were asym and you had to buy either regular or goofy. Ester Ledecka (CZ) won the Olympic gold medal in Snowboard GS just a few days after stunning the ski racers and winning the Super G gold medal from a high bib number start.

    103715_G08_W01.jpg

  7. #5377

  8. #5378
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Ester Ledecka (CZ) won the Olympic gold medal in Snowboard GS just a few days after stunning the ski racers and winning the Super G gold medal from a high bib number start.
    That was awesome!

  9. #5379
    Yup- if you are good at going fast downhill, the equipment is secondary. You will be proficient on anything. I say after 30 years, sh**ty skiers and sh**ty snowboarders do equal damage to bump lines and narrow approach lines in the woods (if you believe that sort of thing). Sideways is the same in both languages to me and now that ski and snowboard lengths are almost the same you can’t really tell the difference from their tracks.

    I still say that we all had to start somewhere, we were not born experts. Plenty of room for all of us. I welcome anyone that is willing to flail their way down just about any trail. This is why we ski. After skiing most of my life in virtually every conceivable situation, I still feel I learn something each and every day I ski. The learning and growth never stops, and as far as I can see, it never will.

  10. #5380

    The "Sugarbush Thread"

    Quote Originally Posted by smac75 View Post
    FWIW i'm a 20+ year boarder who lives in the bumps all.day.long. Middle Earth, Lift Line and Paradise are where you'll find me 75% of the time. I admit to tearing the head off of moguls if I get into a bit of trouble - I always make a silent apology to my fellow skiers/riders

    With that said, if any of the boarders on this thread can recommend a new board for me i'm all ears! Alpine Options just called and said my board is toast and no longer tune-able. Not a surprise as I've had it 5 years or so. I'm going to stop in to Splinters Sat am and try out a couple of demos. Sounds like they have nice selection.
    Chech out burton the family tree woman’s line The boards rule. Learn to carve not skid ok


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    if its not groomed. im doomed!!!!:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The "Sugarbush Thread" vs. Guess the ski area
    By Greg in forum Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Aug 12, 2005, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.