• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

Ducky, I would have never thought you were a snowboarder. I thought you might ever be a Tele skier. 100 plus days??? WTF. are you retired.

Also it would be interesting to see each of you ski the CR bumps to understand the style that you ski them. There are so many people that say they ski bumps and do that Egan-esque style doing wider turns and airing out over some of the bumps. To put this into perspective, I ski them with classic freestyle form meaning knees together with very short turns, hitting the sides of the bumps and staying out of the deep troughs. I keep a very straight line.

rtjcbrown

Nice to see skiers and boarders having a civil and respectful conversation!

There is hope for this world after all.

HowieT2

Ducky, I would have never thought you were a snowboarder. I thought you might ever be a Tele skier. 100 plus days??? WTF. are you retired.

Also it would be interesting to see each of you ski the CR bumps to understand the style that you ski them. There are so many people that say they ski bumps and do that Egan-esque style doing wider turns and airing out over some of the bumps. To put this into perspective, I ski them with classic freestyle form meaning knees together with very short turns, hitting the sides of the bumps and staying out of the deep troughs. I keep a very straight line.

Style? I massacre those things with my clumsy fat boards.

Domeskier

The popularity of that Egan-esque style you describe is another reason why natural bumps these days are rarely great. I prefer the modern variation on the classic freestyle form that competition bump skiers use (more absorption/extension, less bashing), but the differences are relatively minor and the two variations co-exist just fine in the zipper line.

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Really if you enjoy what and how and where you slide is what it’s all about .only thing that bothers me is out of control backseat Bobby’s I find I don’t go in the bumps much now I follow good textures where ever they are I prefer to really carve turns and push g’s I get out a lot so I’m fussy I like perfect turns not pinball zippers nor skidding down steeps I do love the bike trails I can slay the walls and berms been here since 1980 special mountain and town that’s why I’m still here I would like to take some runs with any of you but I work weekends I do get early runs in at Lincoln peak before teaching IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190227/c46ae1cb8059907a7a849552d5451c5f.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
616246bbd1bb0ca1d6ebdfe80e38ff94.jpg

Last edited:

Hawk

The popularity of that Egan-esque style you describe is another reason why natural bumps these days are rarely great. I prefer the modern variation on the classic freestyle form that competition bump skiers use (more absorption/extension, less bashing), but the differences are relatively minor and the two variations co-exist just fine in the zipper line.

The modern version is what I was describing and how I ski.

Domeskier

The modern version is what I was describing and how I ski.

Got it. Internet descriptions of what's going in zipper-line bump skiing tend to get all over the place depending on what the skier finds most helpful in their own skiing (e.g., back-pedaling metaphors or driving the hips forward, etc.) but on the slopes we're all doing pretty much the same thing.

drjeff

Super Bravo going down just before noon today kind of stunk!! What made it even worse was that my friend who also had a daughter racing in States this weekend and I were literally going to be the next chair to load when the liftie jumped in front of our group, spread his arms wide and said that the lift was going on mechanical hold for a sensor error on tower 17!

Still a great day, and ripping off 10k vertical feet at Mt Ellen in less than 90 minutes this morning between 8:45 and just before 10:15 was awesome!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

STREETSKIER

Had some runs with ducky In da wood man those snowboards can turn through those trees
2b0a5446b792521e74bd8610562faeb3.jpg
cb5ee2a5a3d6e63ee92b53f517a0b5f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

Super Bravo going down just before noon today kind of stunk!! What made it even worse was that my friend who also had a daughter racing in States this weekend and I were literally going to be the next chair to load when the liftie jumped in front of our group, spread his arms wide and said that the lift was going on mechanical hold for a sensor error on tower 17!

I wasn't surprised when it went on hold. For the past couple runs before it went on hold I had heard a noise coming from tower 17 (sounded like a bearing going to me...but what do I know). They must have closed it not long after I got on for the last run I took on it before lunch. I saw mechanics up on 17 when I got to the top, and by the time I got back down it was closed and fully unloaded.

WinS

I wasn't surprised when it went on hold. For the past couple runs before it went on hold I had heard a noise coming from tower 17 (sounded like a bearing going to me...but what do I know). They must have closed it not long after I got on for the last run I took on it before lunch. I saw mechanics up on 17 when I got to the top, and by the time I got back down it was closed and fully unloaded.

It is always a bummer when something like this happens on a busy day, but we have a great lift team and they got it back up. Having our new Valley House Quad and located where it is has made a huge difference. Remember when the double was up behind the VH Lodge?

cdskier

It is always a bummer when something like this happens on a busy day, but we have a great lift team and they got it back up. Having our new Valley House Quad and located where it is has made a huge difference. Remember when the double was up behind the VH Lodge?

I sure do. Having to hike up above the VH Lodge to get to the double if SB closed was such a pain! No doubt the new VHQ is a huge improvement.

I think SB was back up in about 90 minutes on Saturday. Timing wise happening right around lunch time was probably not a bad thing either.

KustyTheKlown

great day at mount ellen yesterday. some really nice snow in the woods, particularly brambles woods, right near where the race fence started. totally untracked boot deep. so nice. bravo woods and exterminator woods skied well. way back woods skied well. groomers skied great with the ~1 inch of fresh.

had a really nice day at north skiing with friends.

HowieT2

no one talks about things when they go right, but the VHQ might be the best thing you've done at SB.