• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

organgrinder - a tale of two guns!

Skied under the guns on og this morning. Top 75% or so is using the hkd towers. Beautiful dry silky smooth snow coming out. Awesome to ski. Tons of fun. Then on the bottom of og they are using the snologic ground guns. The difference is night and day. The snologics are putting out a wet sticky snow. And temps were single digits this morning...

Sent from my iphone using alpinezone

ugh.

machski

Organgrinder - a tale of two guns!

Skied under the guns on og this morning. Top 75% or so is using the hkd towers. Beautiful dry silky smooth snow coming out. Awesome to ski. Tons of fun. Then on the bottom of og they are using the snologic ground guns. The difference is night and day. The snologics are putting out a wet sticky snow. And temps were single digits this morning...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
They don't have them set correctly then. Snowlogics can and do put out a nice dry product on the correct step and flow.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

WinS

They don't have them set correctly then. Snowlogics can and do put out a nice dry product on the correct step and flow.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

The Logics have a constant air flow of 8cfm and 4-6 stages. As the temperatures fall you increase the stages and increase the GPM. In the am they were running at the top stage. At the temps came up a bit and the sun hit them, the stage was reduced. You probably hit those guns before they were reduced. While I did not ski it myself today, I had several people stop and tell me how nice it was. We are turning off now because the temps will rise overnight, but it should be an nice ungroomed ski in the morning. If we get the winch cat repaired in time ( a seal failed) we will winch out Stein's tonight. This is a two shift effort. That means we will free groom Ripcord rather than winching it and also leave Sunrise ungroomed, but the sun should hit and soften it up. Winds could be tough tomorrow. They are forecasting 35-50 at the summit from the SW. A bit better than last Saturday's WSW but still a potential morning of some windholds.

MikeTrainor

I am not sure what this week brought but I found conditions better than expected last weekend. The snow making trails were in great shape. Besides a few wind holds Saturday it was a great weekend!

STREETSKIER

conditions

should be about the same not sure it will really soften to spring like ,also windy again one thing for sure.... the latte will be killer. day of the week was tuesday soft fast flat all over
I am not sure what this week brought but I found conditions better than expected last weekend. The snow making trails were in great shape. Besides a few wind holds Saturday it was a great weekend!

Last edited:

rocks860

Trying to decide whether I should venture out tomorrow or wait until Monday. I have a quad pack and I don’t know if I will survive any more than 5 days max so I gotta be a little picky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

Today was surprisingly good. Especially North. We even skied Back Diamond and top of Bravo and exterminator. Wind blown snow filed in the cracks.

rocks860

Oh man I’m conflicted, I may just relax tomorrow and do Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday and try and hit up alchemist on Wednesday

tumbler

Win- can the snow report not always be a marketing fluff piece? I understand that you want people at the mountain but this morning was borderline dangerous. After reading 6:30am report about sweet corduroy I didn’t bother to read Mad River’s which described it as treacherous. Pretty accurate. The 9:15 snow report described it as firm. I just think to be more accurate for safety would be prudent and appreciated so people know what to expect.

ducky

Mt Ellen was a tale of two mountains today. Very nice corduroy off the Summit chair and dangerous ice below. Bad enough they closed Cliffs and Cruiser. Did laps on FIS, great if you stayed off the lunar back sides and kept to the fall line. BD also looked good early. On our way out we came down North Star (ok) to Straightshot, which was solid ice and required safety skidding the whole way. Aside from that the upper mountain was pretty good (surprisingly so).

cdskier

Today was surprisingly good. Especially North. We even skied Back Diamond and top of Bravo and exterminator. Wind blown snow filed in the cracks.

Agreed. I was at North from 8-1 skiing nonstop on Saturday. Exterminator was surprisingly much better than I expected.

Win- can the snow report not always be a marketing fluff piece? I understand that you want people at the mountain but this morning was borderline dangerous. After reading 6:30am report about sweet corduroy I didn’t bother to read Mad River’s which described it as treacherous. Pretty accurate. The 9:15 snow report described it as firm. I just think to be more accurate for safety would be prudent and appreciated so people know what to expect.

I'm not sure if I would go quite so far as to say it was borderline dangerous, but I do think the snow report sugar coats things a bit too much at times. After the rain last night I was expecting it to be pretty firm and it sure was. So my own expectations were pretty much in line with reality (but I totally agree with the argument that many people just look at the snow report for info). The significant amount of ruts and uneven surfaces on Murphy's, Birdland, and DS did surprise me though. The one bright spot today was Birch Run which was nicely groomed and pretty soft when it first opened (to be fair, I had what appeared to be only a couple sets of tracks on the trail before mine...by my second lap it wasn't nearly as good as the first run down it). I stopped skiing before 10 today though as conditions overall were just not too enjoyable.

rocks860

Well I’m gonna venture out tomorrow and see how it is. From the sounds of it I’m not expecting much

cdskier

Well I’m gonna venture out tomorrow and see how it is. From the sounds of it I’m not expecting much

It should be better than what some of us experienced today. No new rain plus grooming should help a lot. Then there's the added bonus of less skier traffic on Monday to help conditions hold up longer...

ducky

Mad River Glen's snow report for today!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mu7LepHUMM&feature=youtu.be

rocks860

It should be better than what some of us experienced today. No new rain plus grooming should help a lot. Then there's the added bonus of less skier traffic on Monday to help conditions hold up longer...

Yeah I much prefer the midweek skiing precisely because of that. Anyone been to alchemist recently? How early is it a good idea to get there in the morning to not have to wait forever/get beer. I’m planning on going Wednesday morning

djd66

Agreed. I was at North from 8-1 skiing nonstop on Saturday. Exterminator was surprisingly much better than I expected.

I'm not sure if I would go quite so far as to say it was borderline dangerous, but I do think the snow report sugar coats things a bit too much at times. After the rain last night I was expecting it to be pretty firm and it sure was. So my own expectations were pretty much in line with reality (but I totally agree with the argument that many people just look at the snow report for info). The significant amount of ruts and uneven surfaces on Murphy's, Birdland, and DS did surprise me though. The one bright spot today was Birch Run which was nicely groomed and pretty soft when it first opened (to be fair, I had what appeared to be only a couple sets of tracks on the trail before mine...by my second lap it wasn't nearly as good as the first run down it). I stopped skiing before 10 today though as conditions overall were just not too enjoyable.

I heard a guy tore his ALC when he fell on ice in the parking lot this morning.

The slopes were really firm today. Everyone has a definition of dangerous skiing conditions. Today was one of those days in my book.

nhskier1969

I was suprised how bad the conditions were today. Aside from Gatehouse the entire other side of Lincoln peak was pretty much unskiable. I would consider my family very good skiers, we were coming down snowball and the conditions were pretty good, once you got to snowball/springfling intersection is was a bad. We came down lower snowball and you had to slide ski down it. awful. Many people were trying to sidestep down it. Knowing there was a little bit of rain in the forecast for saturday evening, why didn't that do a late groom on the valley house side and open at 10a? But on the plus side, the mtn skied pretty good on Saturday all things considered, Spillsville was worth skiing a few times.