• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skiing is an outdoor activity. Fundamentally they can continue, but choose not to, sucka. You are a fool if you think it's based on virtue. It's based on dollars, and you pre-payers just got f**ed.
Get back to me in a few days......

The decision was going to be made for them

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Orca

“If you’re a man”? Get fucked dude. This isn’t normal circumstances. Get over your $200 loss.

Dude, it is at their discretion that they could hold the quad packs valid into next year. If the closure is virtuous, they'd carry the passes forward into next year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I sound pissed because I am. I believe that this is a cynical move masquerading as virtue.
The whole freaking world is shutting down around you and somehow you are blaming the ski industry for "virtue signalling" and screwing their customers?

And you are bent about an unused four pack? (You did have at least 100 days to use that up already BTW)

AND

You want Sugarbush to build you a fancy Glen Ellen lodge?

You serious Clark?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
The "Sugarbush Thread"

This is nuts. Just stepped outside my condo and there are mutiple cats on the hill. So this was quick. Skinning time. And we'll have some groomed runs.

Like Burke, the thing that is stunning is the lack of notice. It just happened. At least Burke skiers got today and knew last night this was it. I thought Alterra was open tomorrow but guess not.

Boyne Resorts still going.

I feel terrible for all the seasonal staff now out of work.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Slidebrook87

Heading up to SR and the Loaf tomorrow. Hopefully they stay open a bit longer. Can’t really trust anybody right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orca

The ski areas appreciate apologists. They are so appreciative that you are so easily manipulated. Bless your hearts.

flakeydog

This sucks beyond belief. Likely a Corp decision but best case was prob a Monday closure anyway. I am also pretty sure Sugarbush and any other resort closing now is not going to come out if this better financially. As bad as it is for us, this is the nightmare scenario for them. Anyone in a people oriented business is shitting bricks right now. I don’t care what conspiracy theory you may subscribe to, there is no upside here, period. It’s obvious from some posts here that in times like these you see those that think of themselves first and those that consider the greater good. We need more of the latter to get through this. Like most things in life, as much as this might suck for you or me you generally don’t have to look too far to find someone worse off.

JimG.

Staff member
It’s obvious from some posts here that in times like these you see those that think of themselves first and those that consider the greater good. We need more of the latter to get through this. Like most things in life, as much as this might suck for you or me you generally don’t have to look too far to find someone worse off.

Bless you sir.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Orca

Bless you sir.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

The Soviets would love the sentiment. This isn't selfishness. This is practical utility speaking.

I have an immunocompromised daughter in strict self isolation. I fear for her life and her peril is real. In no way do ski area closures make me feel the slightest bit better. I see it as cynical in an ugly way with no beneficial effect at all.

Slidebrook87

The Soviets would love the sentiment. This isn't selfishness. This is practical utility speaking.

I have an immunocompromised daughter in strict self isolation. I fear for her life and her peril is real. In no way do ski area closures make me feel the slightest bit better. I see it as cynical in an ugly way with no beneficial effect at all.

I wish all the best to your daughter. I’m curious to see what Win would do if Alterra didn’t own Sugarbush. I’m sure he would eventually shut it down, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be with such short notice. I don’t think anywhere is going to make it this season. Maybe Killington, but I would set my hopes very low. I was excited to ski the glacier again this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orca

I wish all the best to your daughter. I’m curious to see what Win would do if Alterra didn’t own Sugarbush. I’m sure he would eventually shut it down, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be with such short notice. I don’t think anywhere is going to make it this season. Maybe Killington, but I would set my hopes very low. I was excited to ski the glacier again this spring.

Thank you, SB87. Much appreciated. Don't let the folks on the forum get you down. You write exceedingly well for your age, and your measured restraint in the face of criticism is a credit to your character. Keep it up.

This season will be a disappointment. It is deserved that we deliver the message to the owners and decision makers that they are acting in bad faith.

Howitzer

I have always tried to be open and honest with all of you. I am still learning the details of what will be happening so until I do I will not be posting. Hope you understand.

Thank you for taking the time to update this forum in what must be a very difficult time. The honesty is very much appreciated.

My understanding is that the governor of Colorado ordered all resorts in the state to suspend operations from March 15 to March 22. At that point, Vail and Alterra had no choice but to pull the plug. The ability to remain calm will get us through this and hopefully we can all live to ski another day.

Tonyr

Really hard not to be cynical about this: get out of jail free card for the ski operators. Cut bait after the most profitable part of the season passes, especially so in a bad snow year. Expenses go to zero. Everyone with any advanced purchase skiing, including pass holders feeling ripped off. Not likely to catch CoV on the slopes, and it might be a good medicine for housebound claustrophobia. Closing the lodges, but keeping the lifts running is actually biologically sensible if you're not simply greedy and motivated by the bottom line. Bullshit. Alterra and Vail and the losers making the decisions will not soon live down the loss of trust. The fuckers. F U Rusty. You suck.

The Governor of Colorado closed down all ski resorts in the state via executive order, whether you agree with his decision or not that has a ripple effect across the entire industry. Our thoughts should be with the local businesses in each ski town (and in general for that matter) that relies on visitors to survive. Restaurants and most retailers are really hurting over this, we are going to see lots of businesses around the world close by the time this is all said and done.

crazy

Really hard not to be cynical about this: get out of jail free card for the ski operators. Cut bait after the most profitable part of the season passes, especially so in a bad snow year. Expenses go to zero. Everyone with any advanced purchase skiing, including pass holders feeling ripped off. Not likely to catch CoV on the slopes, and it might be a good medicine for housebound claustrophobia. Closing the lodges, but keeping the lifts running is actually biologically sensible if you're not simply greedy and motivated by the bottom line. Bullshit. Alterra and Vail and the losers making the decisions will not soon live down the loss of trust. The fuckers. F U Rusty. You suck.

Fuck you and your bullshit. There absolutely is a chance of catching COVID-19 on the slopes, or rather, on the chair, in the bathroom, in the ticket line. Not to mention you are putting all of the employees at risk. What about the person who cleans the restroom? Or the people who work the chairlifts? What you are saying is pure selfishness.

Win, my quad pack going to be good next year? Ha! If you're a man you'd say yes.

"If you're a man"...what does that even mean? It's hard to be sympathetic when you waited until mid-March to use your quad pack. In some unlucky years the season is already over by this point. Sure, I hope that Sugarbush makes good in some way pass products that went unused this year next season, but why not be polite about it?

Win is obviously going through a lot right now, I'm sure he feels really shitty already and is trying to do the best he can by his staff, who by the way, might be prematurely out of a job. Hmm...prematurely out of a job, or you not being able to use up your quad pack. Which do I feel worse about?

This sucks beyond belief. Likely a Corp decision but best case was prob a Monday closure anyway. I am also pretty sure Sugarbush and any other resort closing now is not going to come out if this better financially. As bad as it is for us, this is the nightmare scenario for them. Anyone in a people oriented business is shitting bricks right now. I don’t care what conspiracy theory you may subscribe to, there is no upside here, period. It’s obvious from some posts here that in times like these you see those that think of themselves first and those that consider the greater good. We need more of the latter to get through this. Like most things in life, as much as this might suck for you or me you generally don’t have to look too far to find someone worse off.

Fully agreed. Wise words.

You are a fucking idiot. You have an immunocompromised daughter in strict self isolation, and yet you claimed earlier that you are "not likely to catch CoV on the slopes, and it might be a good medicine for housebound claustrophobia." That's wrong, you absolutely can watch COVID-19 on the slopes. How fucking selfish are you to compromise your daughter so that you can get a few more turns in this season?

I have a loved one with a pre-existing condition that puts them at heightened risk if they get COVID-19. I've just decided not to see this loved one unless I have self-isolated for 14 or more days without symptoms. Do you know why? Because I prioritize their health over things like seeing my friends or going skiing.

Jesus, it's crazy how selfish and entitled some people are.