• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If you go to the website to find the price of tickets it's your own fault if you don't find the option to "Buy Online" and save anywhere from 10% to 45% off by purchasing in advance.

Yeah but lift ticket rates (walk-up) should still be posted. Like every other public single ski area in existence ever. And to be honest I'm tired of hearing the "no one ever pays walk-up anymore" and the "you're a fool to pay walk-up" comments. Many people still fork over $100 and buy lift tickets at the mountain.

It's probably just some IT guy never hit "publish" when editing the website for 2019-2020 and never posted it online or whatever and that's partially why I posted the question to get Win's attention on the issue.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Scummy if the window rates are not posted on the website -- I couldn't find them. Customers (and potential customers) go the the web site for INFORMATION, and there is a lot of information pushing the product on the site. Just not the actual price of consuming the product in the form of a day of skiing. Boo to Alterra if they are responsible for the deception of cloaking the price until the guy shows up at the window with family in tow. What, turn around now?

Not a very good showing in the "honest Vermont" category. Little steps in the wrong direction add up quickly.

I'm very very sure it's just an oversight on someone's part and not SB trying to be "scummy". In no way would advertising the walk-up rate hurt SB (in a way I can understand, at least).

Orca

I'm very very sure it's just an oversight on someone's part and not SB trying to be "scummy". In no way would advertising the walk-up rate hurt SB (in a way I can understand, at least).

I'm not so sure. I'd bet it was very very intentional.

djd66

1DC5DF77-1681-43C8-A3C7-EA62315EE0E3.jpg

This was sent by Julius back in October ‘19

Not sure why the walk-up price is not on the site,... it definitely should be.

MorningWoods

The sugar bash is this Saturday but no Grift. Does anyone know why? They have been playing the sugar bash for as long as I remember.

Yeah. That’s a bummer. Was looking forward to seeing them. I don’t know the other band. I also don’t see the grift listed on any other events this year. I may have missed it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machski

Or SB as others have has/is transitioning to a dynamic pricing model for walk up tickets. So the price on a given day can fluctuate based on demand. Many are now doing this so they don't have a solid number. Those that do this do usually post the maximum price for a ticket in the season. For example, Vail's daily price fluctuates but they have a maximum day price of $219 this season. Nuts, I know. They probably don't cut too much off that, was just out and Sunday with only 19% of their terrain open, it was $179 (used my buddies Epic fiend so at least didn't pay that much).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

FWIW, last year I don’t think they posted the walk up rates online until we actually hit the point where we were in regular season rates instead of early season rates.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

1dog

What was the rate in 1980? If it was $40 then $120 would be about right for inflation figures. Still not a fair comparison because in 1980 other than a season pass there were no other options to ski for a more competitive rate.

I didn't start until Spring of 1982 and half day at K-Mart was $12 full day I think was $22 or $24. Rentals were $10 for half day. - I made $18K a year.

Assuming Bush was the same, stand alone rate of $75 would be about right. But there are far more options and the market will bear what it will bear.

Dynamic pricing is happening everywhere - within seconds prices change on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Its a private business and they can do whatever they want. Even if I had the means, I would not purchase a Bentley for $350K.

Or a $5M house at Vail or Canyons w a heated drive and walkway. But some do. Happy to have them support the people who build all that stuff. ( and pay the majority of income taxes to the feds)

Its all interesting because its not a growing sport - few are - but fascinating to watch it all unfold. creative destruction.

WWF-VT

FWIW - After early season, it's $139 for the walk up rate for All Mountain day tickets weekend/holidays and $129 weekdays

The math really isn't that hard to do

HowieT2

Yeah. That’s a bummer. Was looking forward to seeing them. I don’t know the other band. I also don’t see the grift listed on any other events this year. I may have missed it though.

Is that even possible? That would be extremely disappointing. almost as much as the forecast for saturday.

Hawk

They are on the schedule for Jan 11 and Feb 3 for Castlerock pub. They are also playing the Hostel on New Year's Eve. I was just psyched to see them this weekend. They must of had a prior engagement.

HowieT2

They are on the schedule for Jan 11 and Feb 3 for Castlerock pub. They are also playing the Hostel on New Year's Eve. I was just psyched to see them this weekend. They must of had a prior engagement.

I think I saw them at the hostel last new years eve or thereabouts. great show

ducky

Today's conditions were not bad given the amount of rain yesterday. Admittedly, limited terrain and really only Upper Jester to SF, and Pushover/Slowpoke on GH. It was first-day groomed large-granular and will improve over the next few days until the rain hits Sat. Lots of snowmaking going on and they seem to be leaving the whales for preservation's sake.

Could it be all this rain means we won't see any more, like the usual Christmas rain-out? Let's hope.

WinS

Haven’t been on for a few days. It should be posted so will check on it on the am. And, yes, very few buy at the window any more but it is still info one should have.

WinS

Today's conditions were not bad given the amount of rain yesterday. Admittedly, limited terrain and really only Upper Jester to SF, and Pushover/Slowpoke on GH. It was first-day groomed large-granular and will improve over the next few days until the rain hits Sat. Lots of snowmaking going on and they seem to be leaving the whales for preservation's sake.

Could it be all this rain means we won't see any more, like the usual Christmas rain-out? Let's hope.

The groomers did a really good job. Went over the trails 4 or 5 times. I did not get out until noon and it was still good. The early runs were better. Second grooming tonight will make it bette tomorrow. We are also knocking down a lot of the Whales tonight on Lower Downspout, Domino Chutes, Lower Jester and Gondolier. Probably can not get to all of Lower Organgrinder tonight. Snowmaking at LP on Sleeper and Hot Shot and on Straight Shot and Terrain Park at ME.

Unfortunately warming up again Friday with rain on Saturday. Maybe ending in some snow. But...........next week looks a lot better and yes maybe we have this roller coaster over before the usual timing over The Holidays.

We have had a number of different band for the Sugar Bash over the years. Does anyone remember the Motor Booty?

KustyTheKlown

is soul monde going to play again at any point? that was a very cool surprise walking into castlerock pub one day last season or the year prior and seeing trey's main dudes throwing down casually in the corner.

jimmywilson69

:lol:

YOu've got to love when the owner comes in and tells it to us Yahoos like it really is. Thanks again Win for being transparent with this group of hardcore skiers. A lot of people wouldn't put up with us... :lol:

MorningWoods

I think I saw them at the hostel last new years eve or thereabouts. great show

Cool. Will be there for the Jan 11 show. Given the crowds the grift draws hopefully they will opening up main lodge again. Went to the 90’s night last year and they were awesome. I didn’t see that in the schedule, but wouldn’t mind seeing that again.