• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Xcreamus

Not working here

It is working on both my iPhone and iPad when I look at both the web and the app using both chrome and explorer. Very often refreshing the browser is the solution or reboot.

Works with the app, but not with IE, Chrome or Firefox.

Orca

Some observations from this weekend to add to Hawk's:
1. My first ski days of the year, and the RFID system is a huge improvement. Love it. Thank you to Win and Co. for another upgrade that betters the overall experience.
2. Sugarbush lifts were not at their best. Both Super Bravo and Valley House had people stuck for protracted periods on Saturday. Seemed like balky sensors on SB, and god know's what had VH idled for so long.
3. Trails were in great shape. Natural snow on Lixi's and Moonshine was particularly good. Snow from guns on Lower Snowball were putting out very nice snow.
4. Hot Shot / Waterfall were a snowmaking catastrophe with treacherous rink-like ice. They are the perfect example of how not to make snow.

djd66

Some observations from this weekend to add to Hawk's:
1. My first ski days of the year, and the RFID system is a huge improvement. Love it. Thank you to Win and Co. for another upgrade that betters the overall experience.
2. Sugarbush lifts were not at their best. Both Super Bravo and Valley House had people stuck for protracted periods on Saturday. Seemed like balky sensors on SB, and god know's what had VH idled for so long.
3. Trails were in great shape. Natural snow on Lixi's and Moonshine was particularly good. Snow from guns on Lower Snowball were putting out very nice snow.
4. Hot Shot / Waterfall were a snowmaking catastrophe with treacherous rink-like ice. They are the perfect example of how not to make snow.

Great observations,... completely agree with all. I did an early run on hotshot/waterfall Saturday and it was treacherous. The snow on snowball this morning was awesome velvet. With all the terrain open, the mountain felt like it was empty. I am amazed with how much got opened in just 3 weeks and 20" of natural snow.

Hawk

Great observations,... completely agree with all. I did an early run on hotshot/waterfall Saturday and it was treacherous. The snow on snowball this morning was awesome velvet. With all the terrain open, the mountain felt like it was empty. I am amazed with how much got opened in just 3 weeks and 20" of natural snow.

OMG are you complaining...... Wow Treacherous is a pretty strong accusation. ;-)

JK Carry on.

djd66

OMG are you complaining...... Wow Treacherous is a pretty strong accusation. ;-)

JK Carry on.

I figured you might chime in on a complaint of mine. :p

I have skied all kinds of crap,... the section of Waterfall I am referring to was that - complete crap! Complete sheet of snow making ice disguised as snow.

mikec142

Win is that new NoMad shack an expresso shack????? If so that totally rules. We have been asking for one of those for years after we experienced it at crystal mountain. This makes me very happy. :smile:

Huh, what are you talking about. NoMad shack?

tumbler

I figured you might chime in on a complaint of mine. :p

I have skied all kinds of crap,... the section of Waterfall I am referring to was that - complete crap! Complete sheet of snow making ice disguised as snow.

Glad I stayed away from GH...Saturday was great. Sunday was COLD and the natural trails had firmed up a bit. I need to get mid season cold (ansd alcohol) tolerance up. Looking forward to what looks like a good vacation week.

djd66

Huh, what are you talking about. NoMad shack?

Its a coffee shack outside of gatehouse. I don't really get why someone would want to stand outside in the cold and order coffee. Are they selling anything else besides coffee?

HowieT2

Its a coffee shack outside of gatehouse. I don't really get why someone would want to stand outside in the cold and order coffee. Are they selling anything else besides coffee?

at the top of the gatehouse? where the old java the hut was?

Hawk

Correct. It is basically between the Waffle Hut and the entrance to the lodge. If you ski in the Northwest, they have these at most resorts. I first became familiar with this skiing Crystal Mountain and Stevens Pass. Hot coffee on a cold day? Sounds like a good idea to me. You can either grab one and drink it on the lift(dispose cup at the top thank you) or typically I grab one before getting into the car for the drive. Either way I have already purchased 3 cappuccinos. Good Coffee. If you are a coffee junkie, I would describe it as medium strength blend with nutty, chocolate notes. They also sell pastries and whole been coffee or they can grind it for you. Eventually they may have other offerings. Nice people. They came from Oregon. I have ben asking the management for one of these for years.

mikec142

Correct. It is basically between the Waffle Hut and the entrance to the lodge. If you ski in the Northwest, they have these at most resorts. I first became familiar with this skiing Crystal Mountain and Stevens Pass. Hot coffee on a cold day? Sounds like a good idea to me. You can either grab one and drink it on the lift(dispose cup at the top thank you) or typically I grab one before getting into the car for the drive. Either way I have already purchased 3 cappuccinos. Good Coffee. If you are a coffee junkie, I would describe it as medium strength blend with nutty, chocolate notes. They also sell pastries and whole been coffee or they can grind it for you. Eventually they may have other offerings. Nice people. They came from Oregon. I have ben asking the management for one of these for years.

This is great. I'm often wishing I had a good coffee for the drive home.

HowieT2

This is great. I'm often wishing I had a good coffee for the drive home.
coffee for the drive? put the car on cruise control and take a nap.

hope you're all doing your snow dances/prayers/voodoo. we are on the razors edge.

Win - any updates on the webcams? Living vicariously through these when not able to get up there from CT, but still only static shots using Chrome.

BTW, loved the conditions a week ago so psyched to be heading north this holiday season with extended family!!

cdskier

What a pleasant surprise today! I was expecting fast firm groomers with a dusting on top...instead the mountain was skiing wonderfully from top to bottom. I know the report said only 1-2 inches, but it really felt like 3-4 on some trails perhaps with the way the wind was blowing. It seemed to bond really well too with whatever was underneath. Ripcord and organgrinder were great this morning. Even lower mountain natural trails like twist and moonshine were skiing quite well. The lower parts of both had a bit of crust mixed in the snow, but still broke up without too much effort.

The only negative was the headwall of sleeper chutes. A pair of ice skates were needed there. Rest of sleeper was as would normally be expected after the first groom.

Overall though conditions today far exceeded my expectations. Anyone I talked to on the lift was saying the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mikec142

Heading up this weekend. Fingers crossed that Saturday isn't a problem for the rest of the week.