• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

I have not heard any complaints, but if anyone sees an employee being rude to anyone, I hope it will be brought to our attention as we do not accept that behavior. That also goes for any guest being rude to any of my teammates.

Hey Win,

We were up over Thanksgiving and again for a day during the Christmas week. Each time, the person who greeted us at the base of the school house was very nice and helpful. Same goes with all the folks I interact with at Sugarbush. Looking forward to a great season.

cdskier

Is making snow on the upper part of brambles something just started this year? I remember snow being made on the lower part previously, but not upper unless it is just more visible now with the trees showing signs of recent snowmaking. That must require some serious hose dragging as I don’t recall any hydrants nearby on the upper part.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

WinS

Hey Win,

We were up over Thanksgiving and again for a day during the Christmas week. Each time, the person who greeted us at the base of the school house was very nice and helpful. Same goes with all the folks I interact with at Sugarbush. Looking forward to a great season.

Thank you!

WinS

Is making snow on the upper part of brambles something just started this year? I remember snow being made on the lower part previously, but not upper unless it is just more visible now with the trees showing signs of recent snowmaking. That must require some serious hose dragging as I don’t recall any hydrants nearby on the upper part.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yes, we drag the hosse over from Inverness. The snowmaking there allows GMVS to set gates for GS training and racing.

Hawk

I agree. Castlerock was good. I really enjoyed lift line and a sunny Middle earth.

On a side note RIP Dave Gould. He passed away quietly out in Big Sky this morning. I spent a bunch of time with him here and out in Big Sky. He always was great at making me laugh and having a good outlook on life. If anyone on here knew him from the ski school here at the mountain or when he worked running the restaurant at the airport, you will definitely know what I mean. He will be missed.

WWF-VT

I agree. Castlerock was good. I really enjoyed lift line and a sunny Middle earth.

On a side note RIP Dave Gould. He passed away quietly out in Big Sky this morning. I spent a bunch of time with him here and out in Big Sky. He always was great at making me laugh and having a good outlook on life. If anyone on here knew him from the ski school here at the mountain or when he worked running the restaurant at the airport, you will definitely know what I mean. He will be missed.

Sad news...

pinnoke

Our good friend deserved better...

Enjoyed skiing with Dave at Sugarbush, and Big Sky...a great teacher and good friend. Always smiling. Gentle soul. Photo was taken 3/17/17, sharing a couple of beers at the base of Moonlight Basin after an awesome day together. RIP Dave, and condolences Sandra.

Attachments

• P1040435.jpg
    P1040435.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 116

pinnoke

I've just noticed, for the first time even though it's my photo, that Dave's wearing a Sugarbush jacket in this photo!

WinS

Dave was the best. Not only was he one of our best instructors, but a really good guy. He will be missed greatly.

WinS

Enjoyed skiing with Dave at Sugarbush, and Big Sky...a great teacher and good friend. Always smiling. Gentle soul. Photo was taken 3/17/17, sharing a couple of beers at the base of Moonlight Basin after an awesome day together. RIP Dave, and condolences Sandra.

Thank you for sharing. This picture captures Dave perfectly.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
That picture is a great shot of him. Over the years, I've worked with him at the golf course, in addition to seeing him around the mountain. He was a great guy and will be missed. RIP.

WinS

yesterday was a fantastic powder day.

If anyone is around today, hit Stein's. It is silky smooth under the towers on skiers left. The excavator is up at Ripcord working on repairing the snowmaking pipe, so hopefully that will be ready when the temps turn cold again later in the week.

jaybird

If anyone is around today, hit Stein's. It is silky smooth under the towers on skiers left. The excavator is up at Ripcord working on repairing the snowmaking pipe, so hopefully that will be ready when the temps turn cold again later in the week.

Thanks for attending to Ripcord! Has been sad looking at that .. especially with the buff wind blown under the lift.
Yesterday was well beyond wildest expectations. Pockets of Pow interspersed everywhere.
Baton down for a return to snow cycle :snow:

Double Cheers !

Last edited:

Julius

Boy Steins sure was fun last few days and that snow event yesterday was a plus. As I always say, a little freshies go a long way.

cdskier

Good to hear the excavator made it up to Ripcord! Agree the earlier statement that seeing that wind blown bare top of Ripcord is tough to see.

The new snow yesterday was nice. Middle Earth was great. And nice to see more snow in the forecast as we could sure use some to fill in some areas.

A big kudos to patrol as well for opening trails like Walts and Semi-Tough and doing some shoveling of snow so people could navigate the water bars! They may have been thin on Saturday, but I still enjoy natural trails like those with thin cover so was happy to see them open.

Overall I was a bit surprised how uncrowded it was this weekend. Even in my condo complex the lot had plenty of empty parking spots. Maybe people were up for the long holiday period and took a break this weekend?

HowieT2

Good to hear the excavator made it up to Ripcord! Agree the earlier statement that seeing that wind blown bare top of Ripcord is tough to see.

The new snow yesterday was nice. Middle Earth was great. And nice to see more snow in the forecast as we could sure use some to fill in some areas.

A big kudos to patrol as well for opening trails like Walts and Semi-Tough and doing some shoveling of snow so people could navigate the water bars! They may have been thin on Saturday, but I still enjoy natural trails like those with thin cover so was happy to see them open.

Overall I was a bit surprised how uncrowded it was this weekend. Even in my condo complex the lot had plenty of empty parking spots. Maybe people were up for the long holiday period and took a break this weekend?

maybe Win can back me up with some real stats, but anecdotally, my observation over the last decade is that the first weekend after new years is usually light. not many vacationers right after the holiday.