• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

No wind holds or crowds at HG and castlerock today. Skied untracked Pow all day. Conditions were excellent. Glad I made the choice to ski there today. ;-)

abc

Everyone who chose to be (or ended up involuntary) on Mt Ellen are probably heading back to Lincoln Peak tomorrow morning!

flakeydog

On a happy note , it was cool to see the fighter jet formation buzz the mountain this am. We were at the top of spring Fling when they went over. Totally ��

Interesting you mention this. I happened to be over at smuggs today for a race and saw them pass low and slow over there as well. I live here and grew up here so I am used to seeing them fly around but they caught my attention more than usual today. I think the cold altered the sound a bit, sounded different today. Back at Sugarbush tomorrow but Smugglers skied well today and it was snowing at a good clip most of the late morning/afternoon.

WinS

Agree - the no wind on HG was a nice surprise. I was expecting the opposite. We did a bunch of amazing runs on Paradise and Spills and rode singles line and pretty much skied on. Great day on the mountain. However, ended on a bit of a downer...stood at the bar at rumbles waiting a good long time to order a drink, finally got belly up to the bar, bar maid comes over to where I was standing and looks straight over my head to a tall dude behind me and took his drink order. I shook my head and walked out. Headed over to Green Mtn lodge for apres where it was 100% more civilized. I love how over there you can spread out and sit in the cafeteria seats behind the band and still enjoy listening to them and have easy access to the bar. The bartenders over there are great and super laid back. Also, those awesome views out those big beautiful windows. Everything apres should be!

Sorry about that. I will mention this to her. The band was good and did bring in a lot of people for apres.

Julius

Skied North for a change Satrdy and was a fantastic day with both great conditions throughout and meeting up with the resident crew there. No lines, good times was said.

Aprés in the ole lodge was a welcome return to past times. Great day for us.

Last edited:

machski

Interesting you mention this. I happened to be over at smuggs today for a race and saw them pass low and slow over there as well. I live here and grew up here so I am used to seeing them fly around but they caught my attention more than usual today. I think the cold altered the sound a bit, sounded different today. Back at Sugarbush tomorrow but Smugglers skied well today and it was snowing at a good clip most of the late morning/afternoon.
Colder air slows down sound waves so yes, deep cold changes the sound a bit

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I'm not surprised Hawk found good snow and conditions at LP while some others didn't. He clearly knows the mountain well and knows where to go. Like he said, avoiding the high traffic areas is key (more-so at LP than at ME due to the higher traffic volume LP sees).

I skied LP a bit Sunday morning and at least on mid-mountain and lower mountain areas I think ME was skiing better than LP. Due to the lower visibility up top, I only made 1 run up there so I'm sure trails like Spills, Paradise and areas of CR certainly could have been as good as the trails I skied at ME on Saturday. I just didn't get a chance to check them out.

Anyway, here's a few Ellen pics from Saturday:
51500081_3021170641241669_5522341027890855936_o.jpg
51314162_3021170921241641_5507780543296569344_o.jpg
51136479_3021170941241639_7199095835047493632_o.jpg
51109388_3021170621241671_3847894967519281152_o.jpg
51604559_3021170887908311_951160712888057856_o.jpg

Hawk

What I was trying to say is It's all really good no matter where you ski right now. I just can't limit myself to just Mt Ellen all the time. It's too small an area and I know it back and front as I used to ski there a lot. I look at Sugarbush as one big resort and I ski it every weekend like that, using slide brook lift, slidebrook runs, the buses and my car to get the most out of it. I think it is a waste to just limit myself to just one mountain or the other. I think that people that have the Mt. Ellen only pass like to over state how good it is over there as that is the only option they have. Don't get me wrong there are times that it is better but it's not every day.

cdskier

What I was trying to say is It's all really good no matter where you ski right now. I just can't limit myself to just Mt Ellen all the time. It's too small an area and I know it back and front as I used to ski there a lot. I look at Sugarbush as one big resort and I ski it every weekend like that, using slide brook lift, slidebrook runs, the buses and my car to get the most out of it. I think it is a waste to just limit myself to just one mountain or the other. I think that people that have the Mt. Ellen only pass like to over state how good it is over there as that is the only option they have. Don't get me wrong there are times that it is better but it's not every day.

I would certainly never advocate anyone limiting themselves to only one "side" all the time either and don't mean to imply that. I usually make a decision the day of where to go. Personally I like to just stick to one side for that particular day unless I see a major reason to switch in the middle. I used to go back and forth mid-day more via the Slidebrook chair, but the past few years I've stopped doing that as much. Out of 21 days this season, only 3 of those days have been at ME. But when I do go to ME, I feel there's more than enough to keep me busy all day as long as everything is open.

KustyTheKlown

i vastly prefer ME to LP. i am a weekends only skier, so that has something to do with it. but i also think the north ridge chair at mount ellen is easily the most interesting and varied terrain anywhere at sugarbush. followed by castle rock tho.

Skrn

Skied ME on Saturday. No crowd and the condition was good on groomers and great in natural terrain. Mogul skied well and found fresh powder in semi tough woods, moose runs woods, bravo woods and exterminator woods. Had a great day.

Moved to LP on Sunday. Condition was good elsewhere but great in castle rock due to low traffic. Skied Rumble and Liftlines for the first time and they were crazy fun. Such interesting trails with characters! Snow coverage on rumble was really good. Ventured into rumble woods and found a lot of untracked powder. Had one more run on Rumble at 3pm and found the snow to be tracked out a bit more comparing to morning.

This is our 2nd weekend at Sugarbush ever. Skied in both icy and good conditions. So far we are REALLY impressed. Very interesting natural terrain with great variety. Staff is really friendly and the resort is not trying to squeeze every penny out of you. Can clearly tell this is well managed. This is just our 2nd ski season and we haven’t skied many places. But among the places we skied in New England (NE ikon resorts except Stratton plus some small resorts) sugarbush is clearly our favorite in the eastwith a wide margin. We probably will still go for multi resort pass for a few seasons to sample new places. But whenever we want to commit to one place in NE for whatever reason, we can definitely see ourselves becoming season pass holders here.

1dog

Sshhhhh!

Skied ME on Saturday. No crowd and the condition was good on groomers and great in natural terrain. Mogul skied well and found fresh powder in semi tough woods, moose runs woods, bravo woods and exterminator woods. Had a great day.

Moved to LP on Sunday. Condition was good elsewhere but great in castle rock due to low traffic. Skied Rumble and Liftlines for the first time and they were crazy fun. Such interesting trails with characters! Snow coverage on rumble was really good. Ventured into rumble woods and found a lot of untracked powder. Had one more run on Rumble at 3pm and found the snow to be tracked out a bit more comparing to morning.

This is our 2nd weekend at Sugarbush ever. Skied in both icy and good conditions. So far we are REALLY impressed. Very interesting natural terrain with great variety. Staff is really friendly and the resort is not trying to squeeze every penny out of you. Can clearly tell this is well managed. This is just our 2nd ski season and we haven’t skied many places. But among the places we skied in New England (NE ikon resorts except Stratton plus some small resorts) sugarbush is clearly our favorite in the eastwith a wide margin. We probably will still go for multi resort pass for a few seasons to sample new places. But whenever we want to commit to one place in NE for whatever reason, we can definitely see ourselves becoming season pass holders here.

Just don't tell too many friends ok?
We are a little protective of our stash - organic growth not withstanding - Bush has one of the highest season pass holder ratios for a reason. Glad you like it here.

Hawk

i vastly prefer ME to LP. i am a weekends only skier, so that has something to do with it. but i also think the north ridge chair at mount ellen is easily the most interesting and varied terrain anywhere at sugarbush. followed by castle rock tho.
So you must not have skied there very much 2, 3 or 4 years ago when North ridge was down all the time. I will agree that the terrain is good off that lift but the parts and pieces are short runs and are broken up with that flat in the middle. Again there are times that I like it but the last few years I have taken to starting at Lincoln Peak and heading over via slide brook and skiing a few runs there, ski slide brook back and take the bus. I'm not that nostalgic with the Mt Ellen base lodge like others on here.

MorningWoods

So you must not have skied there very much 2, 3 or 4 years ago when North ridge was down all the time. I will agree that the terrain is good off that lift but the parts and pieces are short runs and are broken up with that flat in the middle. Again there are times that I like it but the last few years I have taken to starting at Lincoln Peak and heading over via slide brook and skiing a few runs there, ski slide brook back and take the bus. I'm not that nostalgic with the Mt Ellen base lodge like others on here.

+1 on that last sentence. I think i and others would head there more if it was treated more like a destination and less like an overflow lot. I was there Friday and I felt like it was me and maybe 10 others with 5 skiing the park. If I had a nickel for every time someone said to me over the last 20 years “is it crowded maybe we should go to North”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tumbler

Been noticing the past few days that Northridge has been either delayed or closed for maintenance. Any insight?

ducky

Grim period of weather. One person yesterday said it was CSS (can't see shit) though the snow was soft and spring-like.

Had an excellent dinner last night at Hostel Tevere, aka the Mad Burger. Best burger in town, in my opinion. My wife had Falafel with Tsatziki sauce (really good) and I had a Venison Burger special with a craft blue, triple-cream cheese and pork belly. Dinners came with choice of excellent shoestring fries or a nice green salad.

WinS

We had part of the rail that moves the chairs through the terminal needing to be replaced. It has been repaired.

cdskier

Had an excellent dinner last night at Hostel Tevere, aka the Mad Burger. Best burger in town, in my opinion. My wife had Falafel with Tsatziki sauce (really good) and I had a Venison Burger special with a craft blue, triple-cream cheese and pork belly. Dinners came with choice of excellent shoestring fries or a nice green salad.

I had a regular burger with pork belly there a few weeks ago and thought it was just average (and seemed a bit on the small side). I'm not a huge fan of shoestring fries either, so that wasn't a selling point for me either.

tumbler

I need to have a Mad burger and Worthy together to see which one I like better. My tastings are too spread out but I liked them both. I think I might have ordered a double at Mad burger...working on my insulating base layer...

Julius

Worth mentioning for a buck (or two) more you can upgrade to a bigger burger at the Worthy. Had an Elk burger at the Hostel couple wks ago, very tasty.

Moving slow out the door to hill today.. Gotta burger on the mind now.