• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
And re: grooming some of Sugarbush's traditionally natural terrain

I go back and forth. I liked skiing some of the narrow trails groomed. I also thought that it help "refresh" things after a thaw or long drought. But after talking and riding with Bushmogulmaster, there is something to be said about over-compressing the snow pack such that it gets too firm. Personally I thought that they had a good mix when they groomed some of the narrow runs and left others to go (Walt's Run, Semitough, Brambles, Upper Lookin Good, Moonshine, Twist, Lower Domino).

benski

It had to be done sometime over the next to weeks to aid the demolition of the valley house.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Newpylong

I fear what will become of the Mall. I know they say they don't plan on widening it much, but I don't believe them.

They actually don't need to widen the line at all outside of branches that have encroached, and the USFS verifies permit vs what's done post installation. The Mall is plenty wide to accommodate the lift installation.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree; it is plenty wide. It's just sometimes you see new lift installs and they increase trail width at the same time to increase skiing capacity.

The Mall isn't "narrow" per se, but it's not some super wide boulevard ala Ripcord off Heaven's Gate. That's what I wouldn't want to see happen.

It's pretty well perfect as it is right now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• the mall.jpg
    the mall.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 201

rocks860

So anyone think this Saturday will be any good? Looks like rain thursday then snow friday and temps in the 20s on Saturday. Id really like to get up there one last time for the season but I don't want to make the trek if it's going to be a giant ice skating rink

bigbog

Hoping that whatever crap comes tomorrow will not last long...:sad:
Think the mtn crews will be out to do whatever's best........wish someone would come up with huge tarps, made of some material, to cover trails...

HowieT2

So anyone think this Saturday will be any good? Looks like rain thursday then snow friday and temps in the 20s on Saturday. Id really like to get up there one last time for the season but I don't want to make the trek if it's going to be a giant ice skating rink

I have the same concerns. depends on if we get snow on the back end, thursday night into friday and how much. NWS point forecast for 3000' elevation as of this morning has 2-4". tough call.

rocks860

Saw this on the skitheeast Twitter, no idea where this is coming from as everything I've read says minimal snowfallImageUploadedByTapatalk1427300438.807233.jpg

Newpylong

That graphic is BS, most of the region is getting r*ain. Saturday is going to be terrible after the rain/freeze - but Sunday is supposed to be sunny and high 30s. Should soften up

rocks860

Even with snow on Friday? I don't expect anything like that graphic but the forecast does show snow on friday

slatham

Gonna rain everywhere, but the models have turned colder on the backside and some snow will fall. As its gonna be cold, you need at least 4". But that might happen, especially up North at elevation. Keep an eye on it and realize you may not know until Friday.

gostan

I received an email from Sugarbush announcing that their Price on the Boomer weekday pass will be held at $99 through May 6th. What was of much more interest to me was that the minimum age of their all mountain 7 Senior Pass has been reduced from 70 to 65 and is priced at $599 through May 6th. It finally pays off to be an old geezer at SB. 😏 $1099 for the regular all mountain 7 thru May 6th. Win. Isf be trying to fill up all of that new uphill capacity.

rocks860

Well I guess I'm just gonna go and see what happens. I don't know that any place else is going to be better and I want to get in one last sugarbush fix in for the year. Praying for snow!

rocks860

If you are going to be wet anyways might as well bring some old stuff and take a run at the pond skimming contest Saturday

Why would I be wet anyways? It's not supposed to rain on Saturday... And I'd prefer not to fall in a pond when it's 25 degrees outside