• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

bdfreetuna

What about the fire pit?

I don't think a No-Vape rule is even enforceable on a reasonable basis. Although it's common courtesy to do so out of view of children and random families.

In fact all these rules are un-enforceable but I'm sure one or two employees will take it to heart.

Kind of like "tobacco-free zones" that include chew tobacco and dip.

At least we know gummies, cookies, lollipops and straight up eating distillate are acceptable.

I say if someone can huff a cigarette and still ski and not decide to quite either skiing or smoking, more power to them.

WWF-VT

Seriously? That sounds like a bit much without having a designated area to smoke. What are all the employees going to do since I would guess about 75% of them smoke cigs, not to mention other stuff. Doesn't affect me either but doesn't go with the laid back atmosphere they are trying to have.

You are way off assuming 75% of employees smoke cigarettes. My guess is the number is closer to 10% as as only about 15% of the population in VT smoke cigs.

Last edited:

HowieT2

You are way off assuming 75% of employees smoke cigarettes. My guess is the number is closer to 10% as as only about 15% of the population in VT smoke cigs.

the employees have a designated smoking area hidden in the corner of the parking lot by the entrance to the claybrook road.

BenedictGomez

its far from a "bogus use of wildlife protections" (as any Bicknells Thrush google search will show you its range covers a good deal of VT).

Hence why it is, in fact, bogus.

And it's not just Vermont, the bird exists in the high country of New York, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, Quebec, etc....

Not to mention the bird isn't classified as endangered or even as threatened, but merely vulnerable. And not that it's classification should matter in the least bit from a ski resort perspective anyway, given the presence of skiers wont bother a bird that winters in Cuba, Haiti, and Jamaica. Now you've got me all wound up, happy?

ThinkSnow

Yes, its range is the entire northern east coast, but this is the Sugarbush thread, not the Entire East Coast Thread. And really who cares if its reference could mean one less mountaintop eyesore.

Smellytele

I know a guy who used to install those, he said they're WAY more expensive than a normal cell tower. That's a pretty crappy one too, they make them with longer "branches" that look even better than that. I do agree it helps blend a bit though.

Not when they are 100' higher than anything else around it.

tumbler

It would be nice if they could pile on the one that was installed on the ridge to lookers right of Slide Brook and make it work there.

If on the summit, if it was down on the western slope in elevation that would help. My guess is that they are more interested in the Champlain Valley side of the ridge line for cell service. I know WDEV radio is up there now. If more things at the summit then probably more power will need to be run up there. Would be nice if the power lines going from base to bottom of HG could be buried. From base of HG they run up Ripcord.

At Mt Ellen the top terminal of Northridge has a bunch of cell antennas on it.

I think WCAX and other TV is on top of Mansfield.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

machski

View attachment 24063

Sectional Charts needs an Update ! Only shows one 300 footer , from the angle it looks like the other three are higher than the summit.
The towers are on the nose, yes? The nose is much lower than the true Summit above the Gondi. Don't worry, Stowe is away from the approach track for 33 at BTV. Camel's Hump is of much greater concern for pilots, especially in cold weather.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Camel's Hump is of much greater concern for pilots, especially in cold weather.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

"Concern" From? CAT with a strong west wind?

Speaking of CAT it's been a busy few days at the Glider pilots Wave camp in Gohram with somebody making it to 32,000ft

http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=247536
Not Perlan worthy but still cool .

With more than one tower I was expecting to see a group obstruction symbol on the chart . I guess they just picked the tallest one? So none of the towers are above the summit elevation ?