• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ktrerotola

Do many other places do something like that? I know K does it for the 100 day club, 60 seems much more attainable for the average person. Unless you live in a ski town it would be real tough to make 100. Anybody know of other mountains doing something similar?

LOVED SB’s 60 days in 60th year, great touch. Jackson Hole does 100 day club - invites those who ski 100+ days to a breakfast in Teton Village. Better yet, they post a list a several weeks from closing of those who have either made 100 days or will be eligible to make 100 days based on the remaining days in season.

I’m right there with you Hawk, I hit 60 days and 80-90% of those were at SB.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

LOVED SB’s 60 days in 60th year, great touch. Jackson Hole does 100 day club - invites those who ski 100+ days to a breakfast in Teton Village. Better yet, they post a list a several weeks from closing of those who have either made 100 days or will be eligible to make 100 days based on the remaining days in season.

I'm down a bit from last year this year...I'm at 39 this year and going for 41 this weekend (only 1 day not at SB this season). My previous best was last year at 46.

cdskier

My team already has their list:

Additional snowmaking pond for insurance and to allow more water capacity at LP. (We have excess air)
New Glen House Lodge
Additional mid- mountain Lodge at LP
More employee housing
Maybe replace HG with new fixed grip Quad with lower profile (more wind protection)
Replace Inverness lift
Expand ME base Lodge
Renovate Sugarbush Inn
Renovate SHARC
New vehicle maintenance building
New golf clubhouse
Some additional summer activities
Replace Bravo in 5 years.
And that’s only some of the items.

That's a great list. And all things that would keep Sugarbush "Sugarbush". Nothing super crazy in there that would drastically change the resort from what we love.

machski

You don't have to go that far away to compare another resort that celebrates 100 day skiers. Just go down Route 100 a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

HowieT2

Additional snowmaking pond for insurance and to allow more water capacity at LP. (We have excess air)
New Glen House Lodge
More employee housing
Maybe replace HG with new fixed grip Quad with lower profile (more wind protection)
Replace Inverness lift
Expand ME base Lodge
Renovate Sugarbush Inn
Renovate SHARC
New golf clubhouse

awesome stuff. If and when HG is replaced, is the thinking that the new lift ends at the same spot as the existing terminus, or someplace else, like up where the old gondola ended?

cdskier

awesome stuff. If and when HG is replaced, is the thinking that the new lift ends at the same spot as the existing terminus, or someplace else, like up where the old gondola ended?

Wouldn't moving it up where the old gondola ended worsen the wind impact? I'd have to think they would keep it right around the current alignment.

slatham

Wouldn't moving it up where the old gondola ended worsen the wind impact? I'd have to think they would keep it right around the current alignment.

That would be my conclusion too - too windy up where gondi was. A regrade of the lift terminus flow into OG/Jester would be nice.....

teleo

Any word on what will officially be open this weekend? Are we down to just Stiens? Or can you patch together Snowball, fling and a way to lower grinder?

cdskier

Damn...you people are getting lazy! The short little hike from HG to Jester is good exercise! :cool:

rtjcbrown

New Glen House Lodge
More employee housing
Replace Inverness lift
Expand ME base Lodge
Renovate Sugarbush Inn
Renovate SHARC
New golf clubhouse

Some very worthwhile items on that list! I'll send you a blank check next week. Just let me know the damage.

WinS

Any word on what will officially be open this weekend? Are we down to just Stiens? Or can you patch together Snowball, fling and a way to lower grinder?

Should have Snowball, Spring Fling and Coffee Run too.

Hawk

Well, I can assure you SR does not do this. In fact they can't, they do not even have a system to accurately count individual skier days.

I really enjoyed the fact of receiving thank you emails for visiting when I skied with my Ikon at Sugarbush this year. I realize some of that was marketing to have me come back (which I did but would have anyway) but it still was a nice touch. Did I mention I love RFID systems? So smooth and easy for direct to the lift and I can only imagine the benefit of that type of data for the areas, lift usage, skier numbers, patterns. Some might say too much data, but I have to imagine it allows better info for future investment.

That upgrade to RFID is very costly. Sugarbush had to do 7 lifts and win confirmed it was not inexpensive. They have to install steel swing arms that could swing out of the path of the groomers so that they could groom around the base. They do not have them on the upper mountain lifts because it is a pretty good hike to those locations. Sunday river would have to do 11 I figure: (2) White cap, (2) Barker, (3) South Ridge, (1) North Peak, (2) Aurora, (1) Jordan. There might be issues with short hikes to White Heat, Spruce and Oz. White heat is the only one that I would hike to for the best skiing. Not a big deal. I think people on the SR message board actually talked to Dana B about that and he thought it was cost prohibitive.

cdskier

The depth and wall to wall coverage on steins is impressive. I can’t remember the last time it was that well covered on closing weekend. Nice job by mtn ops and snowmaking teams! Skiing very well too. Spring fling is a bit crispy though so I’ll stick to lapping steins for now.

Hawk

The depth and wall to wall coverage on steins is impressive. I can’t remember the last time it was that well covered on closing weekend. Nice job by mtn ops and snowmaking teams! Skiing very well too. Spring fling is a bit crispy though so I’ll stick to lapping steins for now.

See you out there shortly. I was just waiting for people to body groom the snow and loosen it up. Fog band seem to be lowering again. Was hoping for some breaks of sun or so the satellite image shows.

cdskier

See you out there shortly. I was just waiting for people to body groom the snow and loosen it up. Fog band seem to be lowering again. Was hoping for some breaks of sun or so the satellite image shows.

Fog band moving up and down a lot. One run you are clear top to bottom on steins and the next you have fog halfway down it.

machski

That upgrade to RFID is very costly. Sugarbush had to do 7 lifts and win confirmed it was not inexpensive. They have to install steel swing arms that could swing out of the path of the groomers so that they could groom around the base. They do not have them on the upper mountain lifts because it is a pretty good hike to those locations. Sunday river would have to do 11 I figure: (2) White cap, (2) Barker, (3) South Ridge, (1) North Peak, (2) Aurora, (1) Jordan. There might be issues with short hikes to White Heat, Spruce and Oz. White heat is the only one that I would hike to for the best skiing. Not a big deal. I think people on the SR message board actually talked to Dana B about that and he thought it was cost prohibitive.
DB thinks a lot of things are too costly. The lines at ticket windows/points this year for Ikon users to get day tickets was absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary if they would upgrade their tech. I would change your layout of gates. Only 2 in South ridge (carpet does not need it). Spruce should have it with the uphill traffic being easily reached. Aurora should not have any, hardest point to reach outside of other lifts and Jordan needs two, one on the double as well due to hotel there. The mountain claims they tried it but the system they demo'd failed anytime the outside temp was below 0. I know SB's system doesn't seem to have that problem as I skied at -5 this year and it worked fine that day.