• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

My only "issue" with parking is how narrow the first row at Lincoln is. It can be a huge pain in the ass to get out with a bigger vehicle (I drive a pickup). Was glad last Sunday that I had the "10 minute load/unload" spots in front of me and the one directly in front of me was empty so I could just pull straight through to get out. Backing out would have been a pain and probably would have looked like that scene in Austin Powers where he's trying to turn around the golf cart in the narrow tunnel!

Hawk

So no Snowmaking again today at Lincoln Peak. That is 4 days now over one of the coldest stretches. Are they done for the year?

IceEidolon

It could be a power curtailment or peak charges. Even if the restriction or extra charge is for a few hours, starting and stopping a manual snowmaking system takes several more hours and at cold temperatures can cause hydrant or pipeline freezes. Further, below zero or -10 snowmaking efficiency starts to drop as evaporation losses climb. This is especially true with new model low energy guns. Depending on the forecast, it might be prudent to give the ops guys a break or let them catch up on repairs while holding back snowmaking for a more advantageous time.

I'm not involved at all with this decision and it could well be anything from equipment trouble to a preplanned mtn ops trip to Vegas for all I know, that's just my first guess.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Hawk

I know all of the possible scenarios and I can speculate with the best as previously witnessed on here. You don't have to elaborate. I was looking for the honest answer. They have been pretty much up front with their plans in the past.

IceEidolon

And I'm just spitballing from a very long way away. Mostly I follow this thread because of that same openness.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

WinS

Interesting. Is Ripcord done?

We have been making snow over at ME. No need in our opinion this week at LP. Will notbe making snow until after MLK. May or may not need more on Ripcord, but will be doing more on spring trails and others if needed but we have a lot of depth and there is good snow in the forecast. We have consolidated crews and moved some Snowmakers to lifts and grooming as we do each year around this time.

benski

Back on the subject of parking there is an opening for Parking lot Attendant posted on there website. With unemployment extremely low, in Montpelier and Burlington, local hiring must be hard.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Back on the subject of parking there is an opening for Parking lot Attendant posted on there website. With unemployment extremely low, in Montpelier and Burlington, local hiring must be hard.

Across the entire industry there are staffing shortages. Sugarbush and MRG have it especially bad because there's minimal housing in the valley.

Anyone who gets out there MLK Monday if this storm pans out will see the effects...

flakeydog

If we are talking about the parking lots, the path from the lower lot (the last one over by the old Warren House), the path up to the mount us nice but it kind of dumps you out right in the middle of that 4-way intersection of the access road/inferno rd. Would be nice to have some continuity and just cross on the inferno road and right up to the other path that takes you behind Clay Brook. I’d much rather walk than become roadkill in the hay wagon as it tries to bolt across the access road in front of the parade of impatient Suburbans doing the morning dump and run. BTW- parking crew is usually efficient and friendly. Problems are mainly due to people not listening, paying attention, or just not getting it. Shuttle always waits but I ffeel bad waiving it on because I usually walk.

Also- maybe I am late to the party but was surprised to see the collapsed Glen House deck. Looks like the fix is underway. Any changes planned or is it just a straight repair?

Last edited:

cdskier

Also- maybe I am late to the party but was surprised to see the collapsed Glen House deck. Looks like the fix is underway. Any changes planned or is it just a straight repair?

What? When? I can't believe I wouldn't have seen/noticed that this weekend.

tumbler

The parking is only an issue on Saturday and maybe some Sunday mornings. It is what it is and it needs to be organized otherwise everyone would be pulling in to whatever lot they want and speeding to get as close as possible. IF you get stuck in traffic, leave a little earlier next time. This Saturday? Leave very early.

Glen house deck?!?!

WinS

What? When? I can't believe I wouldn't have seen/noticed that this weekend.

A support beam collapsed. The area torn down was for safety reasons. Will now have to think about the future plan for the Glen House.

HowieT2

A support beam collapsed. The area torn down was for safety reasons. Will now have to think about the future plan for the Glen House.

having looked at that structure in the summer, it was only a matter of time before something gave way.

tumbler

What an unfortunate opportunity. Already with power, water and sewer, could be quite the expanded lunch/early apres spot on the hill...

Julius

There's nothing like making turns at North, then enjoying a beer with the sun beating upon your face on that deck.