The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 501

AlpineZone

Page 501 of 631 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503511551601 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 6301
    My only "issue" with parking is how narrow the first row at Lincoln is. It can be a huge pain in the ass to get out with a bigger vehicle (I drive a pickup). Was glad last Sunday that I had the "10 minute load/unload" spots in front of me and the one directly in front of me was empty so I could just pull straight through to get out. Backing out would have been a pain and probably would have looked like that scene in Austin Powers where he's trying to turn around the golf cart in the narrow tunnel!

So no Snowmaking again today at Lincoln Peak. That is 4 days now over one of the coldest stretches. Are they done for the year?

It could be a power curtailment or peak charges. Even if the restriction or extra charge is for a few hours, starting and stopping a manual snowmaking system takes several more hours and at cold temperatures can cause hydrant or pipeline freezes. Further, below zero or -10 snowmaking efficiency starts to drop as evaporation losses climb. This is especially true with new model low energy guns. Depending on the forecast, it might be prudent to give the ops guys a break or let them catch up on repairs while holding back snowmaking for a more advantageous time.

I'm not involved at all with this decision and it could well be anything from equipment trouble to a preplanned mtn ops trip to Vegas for all I know, that's just my first guess.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

I know all of the possible scenarios and I can speculate with the best as previously witnessed on here. You don't have to elaborate. I was looking for the honest answer. They have been pretty much up front with their plans in the past.

And I'm just spitballing from a very long way away. Mostly I follow this thread because of that same openness.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    So no Snowmaking again today at Lincoln Peak. That is 4 days now over one of the coldest stretches. Are they done for the year?
    Interesting. Is Ripcord done?

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Interesting. Is Ripcord done?
    We have been making snow over at ME. No need in our opinion this week at LP. Will notbe making snow until after MLK. May or may not need more on Ripcord, but will be doing more on spring trails and others if needed but we have a lot of depth and there is good snow in the forecast. We have consolidated crews and moved some Snowmakers to lifts and grooming as we do each year around this time.

Fair enough. The forecast does look really good for the next 7 days.

Back on the subject of parking there is an opening for Parking lot Attendant posted on there website. With unemployment extremely low, in Montpelier and Burlington, local hiring must be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Back on the subject of parking there is an opening for Parking lot Attendant posted on there website. With unemployment extremely low, in Montpelier and Burlington, local hiring must be hard.
    Across the entire industry there are staffing shortages. Sugarbush and MRG have it especially bad because there's minimal housing in the valley.

Anyone who gets out there MLK Monday if this storm pans out will see the effects...
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Thread Information