• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 11/21/2008

downhill04

After having a few days to sit back and reflect on the day, it keeps getting better. I want to thank you guys for pushing me. My first 3 or 4 runs I was VERY tentative. I was to the point where I was almost afraid to ski over the tiniest bump in the snow.

I met up with the AZ crew on my 5th run and then it was on. I was skiing twice as fast as my first few runs and this was just to keep up. You guys came out of the box ripping! Since I didn’t want to be the only guy avoiding the bumps I had to pulls my balls out of my purse and stop skiing scared and just ski. By the end of the day I actually just pointed the skis and started enjoying myself. If I hadn’t been pushed by you guys I probably would’ve pussy footed it the entire day.

This morning for the first time since my injury, I actually can’t wait and look forward to my next time on skis. Trust me I wouldn’t be feeling this way if I hadn’t skied with you guys.

OK enough of this sappy BS. When is the next outing? I want to get out there and pull off a huge 360 iron cross to face plant crash :smile:

Greg

Staff member
Nice words, Jay. You were ripping all day. Hard to tell you had back surgery this summer. Hope to ski with you again soon, maybe on some Temptor bumps.

bvibert

Staff member
Glad we could help! Though I don't think you meant me specifically since every time I started ahead of you you would come cruising by me in short order... ;)

There's going to be a terrain park opening day at Sundown, should be a kicker or two to practice your face plants on...

Greg

Staff member
Greg - why don't you upload the high res version to Vimeo?

It's three times as large. The smaller version is fine for vimeo. The one time I tried to upload a higher res version I got all sort of interpolation. The high res is here if you want it.

reefer

I feel the same way! That was some unbelievable stuff to open things up. I was walking around Sunday feeling like Tyson just got done with me, but I had this euphoric natural high, (it wasn't a trip to the shed), that made it all go away! Same today! I think I've watched that video a dozen times with a big smile. That tune is embedded in my head. Nice work Greg and Brian.
Great meeting you Jay and thanks for sharing all those lift rides. I couldn't believe you had back surgery the way you were rippin' it up! Way to get back on that horse! Skiing with this crew certainly pushes you.......................

Greg

Staff member
Skiing with this crew certainly pushes you.......................

You kept saying that all day, but honestly you were ripping it up on par with everyone there.

SkiDork

It's three times as large. The smaller version is fine for vimeo. The one time I tried to upload a higher res version I got all sort of interpolation. The high res is here if you want it.

yeah. I had problems when I first tried to upload HD similar to that. I then followed the guidelines in the HD Faq and that fixed the problems. They beauty part it that users are also able to download the original HD file directly from Vimeo if they choose to.

This post in their technical forum also helped a lot (I use Cyberlink Powerdirector)

http://www.vimeo.com/forums/topic:3671

Greg

Staff member
Agreed.

Maybe the group just brings out the best in everyone...

Everyone but me. I felt so out of it on Friday. Major freakin' goose stompin' going on... :roll:

danny p

Everyone but me. I felt so out of it on Friday. Major freakin' goose stompin' going on... :roll:

nope, I was right there with ya on Friday, felt like a major gaper. First time out this year, first time on a new board/bindings setup, so I felt like I had an excuse.

Greg

Staff member
nope, I was right there with ya on Friday, felt like a major gaper. First time out this year, first time on a new board/bindings setup, so I felt like I had an excuse.

I don't know much about snowboarding, but you seemed to be tearing it up pretty good. I think you were down each run before the rest of us old guys.

reefer

You kept saying that all day, but honestly you were ripping it up on par with everyone there.

Thanks guys, at least my fat ass was keeping up. Moguls are definitely not my strong point, especially mentally with the way you guys can rip, but I can hold my own in them, a little slower. I've got to take that though for first day out! Wait til' I get in shape one of these days..............got a good start on it this weekend! And I'll try to get in the bumps more this year with my new cabrawlers to get some practice. I already did when I was skiing Saturday. I could have been taking the pussy route down chute but I was trying to take the nastiest line I could find. However, it will always be powder, woods, bumps in that order as far as preferred skiing for me. You guys are so lucky to have sundown set those bumps up for you. If Wachusett did that I would probably get a pass since it’s only like 30-40 minutes from me.

danny p

I don't know much about snowboarding, but you seemed to be tearing it up pretty good. I think you were down each run before the rest of us old guys.

Right before I saw you guys I was telling myself I'm going to ride for another half hour, on straight groomers...no more Highline. Then I meet up with you guys, ride for 1.5 hours, and do 4-5 laps on Highline. I was shot. The only reason I was down first was to stay out of the crew's way...I knew I was just limping along at that point. Good times!

gmcunni

Agreed.

Maybe the group just brings out the best in everyone...

i thought everyone skied well on Friday. Agree 100% with the comments that being in a group like that pushes you to ski harder, faster, better , etc.

i know if i was alone Friday I would have spent most of my time just cruising around and not pushing myself (much like a sole MTB ride).

Beetlenut

Originally Posted by Greg Everyone but me. I felt so out of it on Friday. Major freakin' goose stompin' going on... :roll:

From my perspective, sitting in a chair in front of the computer watching that video, whishing I could have made that trip, you guys sure looked like you were ripping it up to me, first day or not!!