Sundown 11/30 - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sundown 11/30

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    felt i looked stiff in the video, need to try the "raise heel" tip. i think i absorb more with my back than with my knees which is why my back is killing me since sunday.
    Mogul back. Oof. Lower back soreness is a result of continually driving your hips forward to achieve that tall stance which actually is a good thing. Think of it as accentuating the C shape of your lower back continually after each bump. Those are muscle you probably don't use often (there's a side joke in here somewhere... ). Again, muscle soreness there is a good sign. Or at least that's my defense.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    my skis are heavy.. the one thing i hate about them.
    I started really concentrating on bumps using the Volkl AC3 which is the next generation of the slightly more forgiving model you ski. Heavy and somewhat stiff. A stable all mountain ski, but not forgiving in the bumps. Your 724s are even beefier so they gotta be rough. Despite some opinions, bump skis for me made a big difference. Light, softer and easy to turn.

lol, sounds like we have two different view points. we need BMM to break the tie.

I tend to think Pat is right, lower back soreness if from absorbing the bumps with your back instead of your legs. I managed to not crouch nearly as much in the bumps the last few times out and my back is much less sore than usual. Then again, maybe I just use those muscles more often than others...
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Mogul back. Oof. Lower back soreness is a result of continually driving your hips forward to achieve that tall stance which actually is a good thing. Think of it as accentuating the C shape of your lower back continually after each bump. Those are muscle you probably don't use often (there's a side joke in here somewhere... ). Again, muscle soreness there is a good sign. Or at least that's my defense.
    I've always looked at 'mogul back' as a sign that I need to strengthen my stomach muscles. Given my track record for keeping up a consistent core strength exercise regimen, it will always be a problem for me.

i crouch a ton as you can see in the video. knock on wood, i have yet to experience mogul back. maybe its the yoga working my core muscles...
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    but I like the suggestion of pulling your heels up towards your butt which keeps you forward and your tips on the snow as much as possible.
    i'll have to try that one. i try to curl or raise my toes up to the top of the boot which helps maintain contact with the front of the boot. your idea may be better.

Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    lol, sounds like we have two different view points. we need BMM to break the tie.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I tend to think Pat is right, lower back soreness if from absorbing the bumps with your back instead of your legs. I managed to not crouch nearly as much in the bumps the last few times out and my back is much less sore than usual. Then again, maybe I just use those muscles more often than others...
    I think there is lower back soreness of some degree anytime you ski bumps. If you're slamming and banging and getting thrown forward into crouching tiger mode, you need to pull yourself back up constantly. Probably more of a middle back movement.

If you're really extending correctly, you're doing it by driving your hips forward and upward. Again, kinda like accentuating a C shape in your lower back. I've also heard the "stick the dick" analogy. You know the activity you like to do with your woman, or in Pat's case, with random men at Tyler Mill....

I have that problem as well...My legs being tense, I tend to absorb with my spine...one thing I am learning is to start bringing your heels up earlier..a split seond before you should start absorbing

steve

Quote Originally Posted by skiadikt View Post
    i'll have to try that one. i try to curl or raise my toes up to the top of the boot which helps maintain contact with the front of the boot. your idea may be better.
    I like the heel anology too, seems to keep me out of the backseat better. The thing I was working on on Friday when I was there, was to keep my hands about a foot apart and not let them get behind me, and once fully absorbed in the bump, to get my weight on the front of my feet to drive the tips into the next trough. For me though, the hardest part is the timing between the absorbtion and extension. Trying not to extend too eary and in effect stand up on top of the bump, verses waiting a split second and allowing your momentum to carry your absorbed frame over the top of the bump, and then extending your legs down the backside of the bump. For me anyway, this is the next part I'm trying to get. Surgery on Thursday, then start the countdown.
    Dyslexics Have More Nuf !

I use a similar trick to the heel analogy, but it's useful on the flats as well. When you're talking about shin pressure, instead of thinking about pushing my knees/shins _forward_ I think about moving my _feet_ back. It accomplishes the same thing but it somehow works better for me. FWIW.

Thread Information