Sundown 11/30 - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sundown 11/30

Quote Originally Posted by downhill04 View Post
    then I see the vid and my poles look like a blindfolded kid swinging at a piñata.
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill04 View Post
    The problem is I look like a monkey trying to ef a football after about 4 bumps.
    lmfao

Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    sorry to hear that beetlenut. i had the same surgery last June.
    So how long did it take to calcify before you felt like it was fixed enough to resume your normal lifestyle? I figure I should have some March and April skiing in my future.
    Dyslexics Have More Nuf !

my revelations from yesterday:
    • my new pants from TJMax are not waterproof
    • i stand too tall in the bumps
    • i am much slower than you guys
    • i really need to learn something other than a spread eagle
    if that's you in the 1st (& 3rd segments) then you look great. very smooth w/ a relaxed stable platform. wish i had that "too tall" problem.

my revelations from yesterday:
    • i stand too tall in the bumps
    • i am much slower than you guys
    Tall is good. Stiff leggedness is not. However, I will qualify this by saying that you do fine muscling around those 724 Pros through the bumps. It's not easy to work a short carve on a burley board like that through the bumps. If you start taking a more direct line with a less carved and more skidded turn you will go faster. However, if you don't absorb and extend, you're going to start launching. As you come into a bump, relax and let it drive your skis up. Some folks say raise your knees, but I like the suggestion of pulling your heels up towards your butt which keeps you forward and your tips on the snow as much as possible. After you crest the bump, get back into that tall position you're already good at by driving your hips up. Softer and lighter skis would help.

Disclaimer: I'm a hackjob bump skier.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Tall is good. Stiff leggedness is not. However, I will qualify this by saying that you do fine muscling around those 724 Pros through the bumps. It's not easy to work a short carve on a burley board like that through the bumps. If you start taking a more direct line with a less carved and more skidded turn you will go faster. However, if you don't absorb and extend, you're going to start launching. As you come into a bump, relax and let it drive your skis up. Some folks say raise your knees, but I like the suggestion of pulling your heels up towards your butt which keeps you forward and your tips on the snow as much as possible. After you crest the bump, get back into that tall position you're already good at by driving your hips up. Softer and lighter skis would help.

don't sell yourself short greg. you are a radical hackjob bump skier.
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

Some folks say raise your knees, but I like the suggestion of pulling your heels up towards your butt which keeps you forward and your tips on the snow as much as possible.
    I've never heard that one, I'll have to give it a shot next time out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    don't sell yourself short greg. you are a radical hackjob bump skier.
    Good call!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I've never heard that one, I'll have to give it a shot next time out.
    Yeah. Me too. I'm good at thinking about technique when posting here. When out on the hill, fun factor takes over and it all goes out the window...
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by skiadikt View Post
    if that's you in the 1st (& 3rd segments) then you look great. very smooth w/ a relaxed stable platform. wish i had that "too tall" problem.
    Thanks. it is odd to see yourself on video after many years of skiing. i've only used my shadow to "see" what i look like until recently showing up in a few of greg's videos.

Tall is good. Stiff leggedness is not. ... If you start taking a more direct line with a less carved and more skidded turn you will go faster. However, if you don't absorb and extend, you're going to start launching. As you come into a bump, relax and let it drive your skis up. Some folks say raise your knees, but I like the suggestion of pulling your heels up towards your butt which keeps you forward and your tips on the snow as much as possible. After you crest the bump, get back into that tall position you're already good at by driving your hips up. Softer and lighter skis would help.
    felt i looked stiff in the video, need to try the "raise heel" tip. i think i absorb more with my back than with my knees which is why my back is killing me since sunday.

my skis are heavy.. the one thing i hate about them.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Yeah. Me too. I'm good at thinking about technique when posting here. When out on the hill, fun factor takes over and it all goes out the window...
    I'm with ya there! My ski time is too infrequent to be worrying about drills and such.
    Brian

Thanks. it is odd to see yourself on video after many years of skiing. i've only used my shadow to "see" what i look like until recently showing up in a few of greg's videos.

video is an awesome tool. i can say i've honestly changed the way i ski bumps significantly since i first saw a video way back when greg and i skied the first nor'easter bumps 3 or 4 years ago.

felt i looked stiff in the video, need to try the "raise heel" tip. i think i absorb more with my back than with my knees which is why my back is killing me since sunday.

my skis are heavy.. the one thing i hate about them.
    Sore back is a tell tale sign of exactly what you just said. absorbing with your back instead of your legs. I know because it happens to me all the friggin time. that and i tend to slam the face of a few bumps. its a habit i just cant break. actually its fun but when the bumps are firm, like sunday, it can take a toll. You ski very very well. those logs you use aint helpin matters but you seem to handle them just fine. I was impressed with your skiing, for whatever that is worth.

Thread Information