• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown 11/30

skiboarder

6+ hours bumps today. Effin rad. Those bumps were good in the morning, but progressed to epic status between 1 and 2 pm. Simply perfect, and the lines were deep and cut by rippers. I'm shot. More later and some vid hopefully at some point tonight.
It seems all that mtn biking has paid off!

Grassi21

Great job Greg. Lots of ripping going on in that vid.

powbmps

Is the side of the trail groomed? That follow-along shot was really cool.

Seconded.

Nice turns! Can't believe you guys have bumps like that down there. Why is the dude in the windpants hiking?

Grassi21

Seconded.

Nice turns! Can't believe you guys have bumps like that down there. Why is the dude in the windpants hiking?

He lost his shoes and his glasses. :lol:

That is 2knees on his last run of the day. He refused to go home so he hiked up the lower section to hit it again.

danny p

sweet vid, bumps look great, especially for connecticut in november!

Greg

Staff member
It seems all that mtn biking has paid off!

You know that didn't occur to me, but you're probably right. I went from 10:15 - 4:15 with two 20 minute breaks. Given that there were no lift lines and we didn't really dawdle too much, that's a lot of bumps. No soreness today, but I am tired, mostly from staying up late wrestling with the video...

A really great day. Quite possibly a top 5 Sundown day for me. A lot of bumps with guys that can rip is always fun. The last 2 1/2 hours I was there was simply amazing. Steve and I took a lunch break around 1:30 and when we got back out, the bumps were pure heaven. Big, soft and sick lines. It doesn't get much better in CT. Rain and bumps is always a guaranteed blast!

The "follow-cam" was cool. Once they seed skier's right of Gunbarrel, I should be able to get some really great footage. It'll probably help folks pinpoint any A&E or crouching issues which are things I battle with constantly.

Big props to Grassi. Making incredible progress. Close up that stance and you'll be there. I even saw some A&E at work. Perhaps involuntary, but the pieces are coming together for sure. Nice work! o3jeff is next. :lol:

BTW, in talking with Jarrod on a lift ride, it took their groomer operator, Kurt 2 hours to seed all those bumps with the new cat! If/when they get too ugly, smashing them down and reseeding will be easy. That guy seeded some really great lines.

downhill04

Great skiing everyone. I'm kicking myself for not joining you guys. I gut up there around 9:45, watched from the deck for about 30min to see if I noticed anybody, then went home. I didn't see anyone and didn't want to buy a lift ticket to ski by myself in the rain. Oh well there is always next week :cry:

Grassi21

just watched this for the 4th time. brian is indeed killing it. seems like he is skiing the bumps much faster than last season.

SkiDork

2knees lookin good. Greg - you're right. Just work on more A&E. You're looking good otherwise. That'll bring everything together for you.

I was watching my son yesterday on Northstar. He can go almost directly straight down now, and he does everything with A&E including speed control. Amazing stuff, and I wish I could ski like that.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice work on the video Greg! It took me a minute to recognize Pat in his new jacket. Thanks for the kind words Greg and Chris, I still have a long way to go though. The follow cam shot was wicked rad!

My legs were pretty tired yesterday, I was doing large GS type turns down Exhibition just because my legs were too tired at that point to make too many turns. They're not too bad today though. I can feel them, but no real soreness or anything...

bvibert

Staff member
I've watched the video a few more times now. First; everyone was killing it, especially considering it's only November. Chris, I'd heard that you've been ripping those bumps up, it's nice to see it with my own eyes, nice work! Watching my segment (I wish there was more to analyze, but that seemed to be a pretty good representation of how I've been skiing); it looks like I was doing a pretty good job of keeping my hands up front, I didn't really notice any dropped hands like I normally do. Looks like I'm still bending at the waist quite a bit though. I felt like I was doing a pretty good job of keeping out of the back seat though, I've been able to do a pretty good job of driving the tips down the back sides. Need to work on tightening up that stance more too.

Thanks again for the video Greg, it's really useful to analyze my skiing, especially when there's better bumpers skiing the same bumps in the video.