• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown 11/30

gmcunni

As far as I know standing tall isn't a bad thing, as long as you're centered over the balls of your feet and absorbing the bumps with your legs.
yeah, i guess that is what i meant to convey.. i don't really bend my knees much at all. no A&E* going on with me.

*still not really sure what this is and i'm too lazy to read a book about it. When is the C.L.I.T.s bump clinc??

bvibert

Staff member
yeah, i guess that is what i meant to convey.. i don't really bend my knees much at all. no A&E* going on with me.

*still not really sure what this is and i'm too lazy to read a book about it. When is the C.L.I.T.s bump clinc??

A&E is basically absorbing the bump with your legs and then extending them back down the backside, sort of like how a car's suspension works. If you don't absorb the bump then you're basically going to launch off of it. If you absorb, but don't extend off the back side then you won't be able to absorb the next one. There's more to it than that, but that's the basics as I remember..

WJenness

<snip> I'm guessing I won't see any at Wildcat this weekend or Sunday River the following weekend.

For SR at least, I'd venture that you're guessing wrong.

Over the weekend there was a pretty gnar looking bump line down skiers left of T2 (roped off so that someone can't jump your line, not a closed course though), and Lower Risky Business skiers left had a long stretch of bumps too...

Today's snow report mentions the Risky bumps.

SR Ski Report said:
With that said, here's a little inside scoop for you bumpers...if you like a challenge there are some big bumps on Risky Business that have not been groomed and they're skiing really well.

-w

deadheadskier

Staff member
For SR at least, I'd venture that you're guessing wrong.

Over the weekend there was a pretty gnar looking bump line down skiers left of T2 (roped off so that someone can't jump your line, not a closed course though), and Lower Risky Business skiers left had a long stretch of bumps too...

Today's snow report mentions the Risky bumps.

-w

Fair enough, perhaps things have changed. I just know over the previous three seasons, I didn't see much in the way of bumps at the river until around Christmas time. Certainly nothing seeded, but typically the only thing that gets seeded there is Tempest.

WJenness

Agreed. The only bumps I remember from early season last year were under the spruce chair where they don't groom... I was pleasantly surprised to find those few lines over the weekend... I just thought you might appreciate the heads up so you can find them if you're looking for them.

T2 bumps were where the early season park was last weekend, just below where Jim's Whim comes in on skiers left.

-w

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed. The only bumps I remember from early season last year were under the spruce chair where they don't groom... I was pleasantly surprised to find those few lines over the weekend... I just thought you might appreciate the heads up so you can find them if you're looking for them.

T2 bumps were where the early season park was last weekend, just below where Jim's Whim comes in on skiers left.

-w

-w

good to know, hopefully there are still good options on the 14th.

Madroch

Upon viewing the video with the handy ID after, it appears I may have met Grassi on Temptor on Friday afternoon when my 6 yo son took his first bump run of the year... if it was him, he correctly identified the fearlessness of childhood... something that could serve us all well... or put us in the hospital.

2knees

ok not to be mr grinch here, but anyone else been outside today????

It would be off the friggin hook right now. too bad they arent open. :(

downhill04

A&E is basically absorbing the bump with your legs and then extending them back down the backside, sort of like how a car's suspension works. If you don't absorb the bump then you're basically going to launch off of it. If you absorb, but don't extend off the back side then you won't be able to absorb the next one. There's more to it than that, but that's the basics as I remember..

Damn you guys are way too technical for me. All this A&E stuff is over my head. I prefer to point the skis and hope not to get out of control and crash :razz:

powhunter

ok not to be mr grinch here, but anyone else been outside today????

It would be off the friggin hook right now. too bad they arent open. :(

Im stringing xmas lights outside on this beautiful day and I should be ripping bumps

bvibert

Staff member
Damn you guys are way too technical for me. All this A&E stuff is over my head. I prefer to point the skis and hope not to get out of control and crash :razz:

Believe me, I'm far from being a technical analyst on this stuff. I'm more of a trial and error guy myself. I've absorbed enough of the tech lingo to give simple explanations though...:spread:

2knees

just go as fast as you can. thats about the only thing that matters in the end.

downhill04

Believe me, I'm far from being a technical analyst on this stuff. I'm more of a trial and error guy myself. I've absorbed enough of the tech lingo to give simple explanations though...:spread:

I use to be up on the lingo back in my college days when I was skiing 80+ days a year. Now I'm lucky if I can slightly understand what people are talking about. I feel like the “old guy hanging out at a club” now a day.

“What the hell does that mean? These damn whippier snappers make no sense.” haha

I do love the outing videos that you guys post. It is the only chance I get to see how off my form is. I feel like I'm doing alright while on the slopes then I see the vid and my poles look like a blindfolded kid swinging at a piñata. :-o

downhill04

just go as fast as you can. thats about the only thing that matters in the end.

The problem is I look like a monkey trying to ef a football after about 4 bumps. But hey when I crash I crash with style.

Yard sale - guy :smile::smile::smile:

Beetlenut

The problem is I look like a monkey trying to ef a football after about 4 bumps. But hey when I crash I crash with style.

Yard sale - guy :smile::smile::smile:

Oh, I gots style covered when it comes to crashes! Saw the Ortho today, not one of the good breaks, as breaks go. They now need a CT scan, but looks like surgery is going to happen end of the week or early next. I'm actually looking forward to it just to keep the bone from moving around! Plate and screw kinda thing.

gmcunni

Oh, I gots style covered when it comes to crashes! Saw the Ortho today, not one of the good breaks, as breaks go. They now need a CT scan, but looks like surgery is going to happen end of the week or early next. I'm actually looking forward to it just to keep the bone from moving around! Plate and screw kinda thing.

sorry to hear that beetlenut. i had the same surgery last June.

2knees

damn, what happened?