• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

newbie skis?

automagp68

Ok so call me crazy, but get this!

I found a guy on Craigslist.
2006 Volkl 5 stars in 161 for $150

Is it possible to go wrong here? Even if its not my dream ski, it will give me something to practice on right? Without spending $700 on AC 20's

Maybe next year i could do that, that way this year i can focus on good boots. What do you think?
Thanks for any input

Hawkshot99

Ok so call me crazy, but get this!

I found a guy on Craigslist.
2006 Volkl 5 stars in 161 for $150

Is it possible to go wrong here? Even if its not my dream ski, it will give me something to practice on right? Without spending $700 on AC 20's

Maybe next year i could do that, that way this year i can focus on good boots. What do you think?
Thanks for any input

That is a good price for a good ski(as long as its in good shape)

However that is a higher level ski than the AC 20. It will be harder to ski for a lower level skier(not as forgiving....) Just something to consider.

automagp68

Yea thats my only concern.
Im just thinking $$$ wise but if i cant stand on them i guess its not worth it right?

sigh i wish i didnt see them now i have to make a hard choice

gmcunni

2 cents from a stranger... don't get the 5star. get the ac20 and enjoy them. the 5star is too much ski for a person just starting out.

automagp68

Agree with gmcunni. If you thought the AC3 was stiff, the 5 Star is stiffer. AC3 is an all-mountain ski while the 5 Star is a carver. Checked Ebay?

sigh

im soo torn part of me says what the hell its 150$ i learn to use them, then part of me says im nuts

snowmonster

If you think the price is right, then go for it. Look at the skis as a goal you're working towards. If you make good progress and really stick to the sport then you'll be riding those 5 Stars by the end of the season (hopefully). However, before you buy, take a good look at what you're getting. There may be a reason it's selling at such a low price (aside from the fact that it's about 4 years old). Look for coreshots, delams or edges that aren't straight. Make sure the binding works too. Cosmetic scratches you can live with but if the problem affects safety and performance, it's a no go.

My first pair of skis was a beginner ski which I outgrew within the season. At the end of the season, I got another ski which was way beyond my skil level. The first few days on it were comical but I adjusted and it ended up bringing my skills up a notch.

Greg

Staff member
What do you think greg?

I don't know much about the 5 Stars other than the fact that they are carvers so I would imagine they are much harder to reel in than the Unlimited line. Like the others said, probably tough to learn on.

automagp68

PC150264.jpg

PC150263.jpg
[/IMG]

PC150265.jpg
[/IMG]

These are the pics he showed me,
The close up shows the damage. He said he bought them as demos. The chip on the top sheet does not effect how it rides is what he told. The guy said he was only getting rid of them because he wanted to go longer.

Greg

Staff member
Those chips are nothing. Nice looking ski, but hold on for the ride! ;)

automagp68

Lol! ride?

O man, maybe im better of spending 150 on old rental gear!!!

This is to complicated, i spend 150$ here and killmyself learning or i spend 150$ on old crap and still kill myself or i spend $1100 and have fun!!! all i need is money now!:puke:

bigbog

...$.01..

Sounds like you'll enjoy the Salomons....
The Volkls = energetic skis...good length... You'll have a fun time with them on the lower portion of mountains = easier trails..

Last edited:

automagp68

Thats a good idea.
I assume moving a tid bid forward from center will help me stay in a better position right?

I think im gonna get them tonight, and swing by after and get the vento 8 boots, and possibly a helmet from what you guys are telling me of these things.:cool:

gmcunni

Thats a good idea.
I assume moving a tid bid forward from center will help me stay in a better position right?

I think im gonna get them tonight, and swing by after and get the vento 8 boots, and possibly a helmet from what you guys are telling me of these things.:cool:

if you don't buy them i might.. i'd love a short pair of carving skis... :)

automagp68

LOL ok ill make you a deal, ill go break my leg on them and then ill sell them to you,

Deal!

:idea:

snowmonster

Unless you're in show business, don't ever talk about breaking anything. Anyway, close the deal on the skis if you must. The damage on the topsheet is repairable. Use duct tape in a pinch. Inspect the edges and bases, however. That's important.