• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

newbie skis?

automagp68

Ok so im new hear as im sure you can tell.

I did try to search a bit on this and i hope im in the right place. I have not been sking since i was 8 years old. Im 23 now. I do remember however racing my dad down the mountain at a young age and i did pick it up very easily when i was younger. I told myself i was going to find the time this year to go a lot. I have been to several local ski shops to look at skis and i seem to be told two things by the people working there.

dynastar that were 400$ with binding

Or Rosignol that were also $400 with binding. Both 154 my size cuz im short. I know its a large question but can any one offer benefits of either of them? Better quality or suggest something else? Im trying to stay in that price range cuz i still have to get boots also.
Im just looking for a good all around mountain ski, and can someone explain what piste means. I have seen 40% on of ect and dont know what it means.

Thanks

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
You might want to take a lesson and rent before committing to equipment purchases. Just to see if you like it still.

Welcome to AZ! Piste = trail or run.

automagp68

I have thought of that as well, Which is more than likely what i am going to do.
I am thinking that i will get used to it very quickly and should i enjoy it again will make a purchase. So im doing my homework a little early.

I was just tying to get a sense of what people like. Also

If somethin says 40% off pieste where else are we riding besides trails?
Like open ranges non groomed i assume? So a ski for 100% piste would be for just groomed trails? Thanks for the help sorry for the dumb questions.

Greg

Staff member
If somethin says 40% off pieste where else are we riding besides trails?
Like open ranges non groomed i assume? So a ski for 100% piste would be for just groomed trails? Thanks for the help sorry for the dumb questions.

Off piste basically refers to anything other than a groomed trail. So the woods, powder, etc.

snowmonster

I agree with Greg. Rent first to see if you take to the sport again. Getting into skiing is easier as an 8 year old than as a 23 year old. You'll probably have to start on really short skis (almost snowblades) just to learn the basics of carving. Then, as your skill level improves, demo higher end and newer skis so you can experience the differences out there. The regular rental skis are pretty low end so that's a good base on which to build.

If you're still interested in the sport and want to invest, buy boots first. Get the best fit possible. After you have the boots, buy the skis. I got my beginner pair of skis for about $200 (with bindings). I was done with them after one season though. Good luck and welcome to Alpinezone!

automagp68

Ok so we hit wachusette today, did the rental like greg recomended. Was a good time, only about killed myself twice. Just hung out on the beginner trails but was a lot of fun.

It was very choppy and made getting back into it harder with coming to quick stops.
So my question is this.

In general rental ski's are not of the highest quality right?, (they had "Head") i used a 150 but im only 5'6 so normally would of wanted a 154. if some of you use head dont be upset, i have no idea how good or bad they are! lol
Which leads me to the actual question.

Are they good?, Would the volki's i i mentioned before be better or worse? Just trying to make life easier. My local place has these 154 volki's last years model they were like 600$ now there 350 with binding. Thought it might be a good place to start. Thanks for any advice.

gmcunni

my 2 cents. note - i'm not an instructor, nor do i play one here.

a good pair of skis would likley help you advance quicker after a few lessons + days on the slopes. how much quicker really depends on you.

key is to get the right type of ski for your skill level. $350 isn't bad for a ski and binding package (you don't mention which model volkl) but if you shop around you can get a full season rental for 1/3 of that. Would you get 3+ years out of these $350 skis? my son has been skiing for 6 years now. i rent for him every year, partially becauase he's growing and size would chagne every year but also because he's learning and his skill keeps improving. The skis he used 3 years ago are not appropriate for his skill level today.

if you are athletic and a quick learner perhaps it is a good deal. you'll also find that there are different styles of skiing and different styles of skis to match.

personally, i'd keep renting (get seasonal for convience and lower cost) and invest once you are hooked and find what type of skiing you enjoy.

Edd

Ok so we hit wachusette today, did the rental like greg recomended. Was a good time, only about killed myself twice. Just hung out on the beginner trails but was a lot of fun.

It was very choppy and made getting back into it harder with coming to quick stops.
So my question is this.

In general rental ski's are not of the highest quality right?, (they had "Head") i used a 150 but im only 5'6 so normally would of wanted a 154. if some of you use head dont be upset, i have no idea how good or bad they are! lol
Which leads me to the actual question.

Are they good?, Would the volki's i i mentioned before be better or worse? Just trying to make life easier. My local place has these 154 volki's last years model they were like 600$ now there 350 with binding. Thought it might be a good place to start. Thanks for any advice.

Most manufacturers will have excellent models somewhere in their product line, so asking if "Volkls" or "Head" are good skis is not a specific enough question. There's alot to learn about the tremendous amount of skis out there. If you ask people to suggest specific models you're going to get a hundred different responses. For example, my response is to check out the Dynastar Legend 3800, from the sound of your skill level, or the Legend 4800. I suggest a ton of internet research if you have the patience.

I'd also suggest a lesson; a private one if you're willing to spend the money. Good luck.

MR. evil

You might want to also consider renting ski's and boots for the season. Most ski shops offer season rentals of new and used gear. My local shop rents used skis and boots for the entire season for $140 and new for $170. They also offer an option to purchase the gear at the end of the season if you like it. We are going to be doing the rental thing for one of my nephews that is still growing like a week. BTW, the gear my shop rents is not entry level stuff, its intermediate level gear.

The shop is Colorado Ski Outlet in West Springfield Ma.. They also have some killer deals on left over gear.The last time I was there they has last seaons Dynastar Contact 8's with bindings for about $250.

automagp68

Thanks for all the recomendations and comments.

I would consider renting for the year. I just dont want to rent ski's i wont enjoy.

It seems like those of you that suggest renting for the year all ahve people who do so that are still growing. I am not however. So that makes me consider buying. I spend 170 to rent, then next year another 170 and now i coulda bought the set i was looking at. That is my only concern. And after renting for two years i dont ahve anything i could sell or trade in. That is why i was consdiering buying some entry level stuff. I found out the model of the volkis i was looking at. Tiger Motions 154, i think the guy said. I know they were originally 599 i think. Any thoughts on those?

Although i did very well saturday, and it was like riding a bike, i may take a lesson still.

Thanks

gmcunni

sounds like you have your mind made up to buy instead of rent. that's cool. as i said i rent for my son but when i first got into skiing i went with the buy and replace model.

if you want to compare costs though don't forget to factor in boots and poles. place near me rents "average" gear for adults for $110/year. that includes skis, boots, bindings and poles. boots could cost an additional $200+ to the purchase, depending on the model.

as for the volkls. i have volkls and love them. i'd have no problem sticking with that brand. the tigers you mention look like they could last a few years. they have narrow waist so you might not like them in powder + crud but you might not find that on the east coast much on beginner and intermediate trails.

keep in mind weight when picking a size. your weight and type of skiing affect length as much, if not more, than your height.

automagp68

Thanks for the advice again

Well, 154 is just above my top lip/under my nose. (170lbs and 5'7 Kinda stalky) Iittle shorter then some recomend, but i was told better to go smaller unless raceing. Im really not superset on buying, i dont wanna be a fool. I would certainly rent. Just all my local shops want 180 +200$ deposit.

My biggest cocern is the head rentals i had yesterday, seemed very difficult to carve in. Although could def be due to my skill. I dunno will see, I like the volkis cuz there German made. Im german and am attached to stupid things like that.plus i just wanted a some new toys. Who knows, Ive heard of people "demo" stuff before. Not so sure how that works but ill look into it. Thanks again for the adivce.

snowmonster

Good point about the renting v. buying conundrum. Looks like you have your heart set on buying so go ahead and buy. At this point, as long as you're not buying a total beginner package, you should be fine. I am not too familiar with the Volkl line though but you might want to ask the shop guys if that ski is rated for intermediates/advanced so that you don't outgrow them in a season. Your first set of skis usually serve as your baseline as you progress. In a season or two, depending on your progression and the type of skiing you do, you may want a fatter ski or stiffer one, etc.

Re: length - At the intermediate level, the rule of thumb is that the ski should reach your chin and, at the advanced to expert level, it should reach your nose to eyebrows. Actually a better gauge of the appropriate ski length is weight (i.e., if you're on the portlier side of 5'6" then you would crush a 154) so ask your shop guy for guidance. For reference, we're the same height (5' 6") and I weigh about 160 lbs. My shortest ski is 162 while my longest is a 174. The only time I skied 154s was in the first few days of my first ski season. Needless to say I outgrew them very quickly. Since you're investing, you may want to look at the longer end of the spectrum to squeeze a season or two out of them.

I hit Wa on weekdays, let me know if you need company.

gmcunni

Thanks for the advice again

Well, 154 is just above my top lip/under my nose. (170lbs and 5'7 Kinda stalky) Iittle shorter then some recomend, but i was told better to go smaller unless raceing.

fwiw, i'm 5'7" and 185. i ski 170 all mountain skis (77 waist). if i was going with a narrower carver i'd be lookign for someing around 165 or so. but that's me. others would feel differently.

Greg

Staff member
keep in mind weight when picking a size. your weight and type of skiing affect length as much, if not more, than your height.

I would argue weight is much more significant than height when selecting a ski length.

Well, 154 is just above my top lip/under my nose. (170lbs and 5'7 Kinda stalky) Iittle shorter then some recomend, but i was told better to go smaller unless raceing.

Put a majority of your budget towards good boots and get fitted by a competent boot fitter. If you go to purchase boots and the salesperson/boot fitter doesn't shell size you, walk out. Otherwise you will undoubtedly end up in boots too big for you. It seems most people who get properly fitted end up in boots 1 - 2 sizes smaller than their street shoe size. Try to get into a solid upper intermediate level boot so you can get a few years out of it.

154 at 170 lbs. seems a tad short. I would think something in the higher 150s/low 160's would be better, but I'm sorta out of it as far as ski length goes lately, especially for beginners/lower intermediates.

o3jeff

I would look for a ski a little longer(they say the ski doesn't know how tall you are, just you weight). When I got back into skiing 2 years ago and I went with an intermediate ski in a 163(I'm 5-8 180lbs) If you plan on getting out regularly you will progress quickly. This year I've picked up skis that are 167 and 169 and have no problems moving them around.

automagp68

yea

See im like 170 but im that short stalking type, not really a gut just big shoulders, im only a 32 inch wasite. Its kinda odd, im like a football player on skis.

So i just talked to local ski shop guy as well.

He recomended these three ski's as well as telling me a 154 is to small cuz of my wieght.

Recomending 161 at the smallest

Volkl AC 3

Nordica Overdrive

Head xeon 6.0

Any thoughts on those.

Makes sense on the lenght i guess.
Thanks for all your comments btw!

Greg

Staff member
Volkl AC 3

AC3 or AC30? Either way, that's a pretty burly ski for a lower intermediate. I skied an AC3 for a few years and it was a great ski. It would reward you if you stayed on it, but if you eased up and just tried to cruise, it was tiring to ski. Be ready to stay on the gas on that one. Perhaps the more forgiving AC20 is a better choice?

I can't comment on the other models you mentioned.

o3jeff

AC3 or AC30? Either way, that's a pretty burly ski for a lower intermediate. I skied an AC3 for a few years and it was a great ski. It would reward you if you stayed on it, but if you eased up and just tried to cruise, it was tiring to ski. Be ready to stay on the gas on that one. Perhaps the more forgiving AC20 is a better choice?

I can't comment on the other models you mentioned.

I skied the AC30 for a day last year and wouldn't recommend it for an intermediate. Just like Greg says you better be aggressive and like going fast.