Hiking vs. Skiing - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il
    combine skiing AND hiking and now we are talking!
    Heck yeah! I can't wait to try out my new Karhu Pyxis skis out in the woods. I do need to buy a new pulk sled, though ... that's going to cost me. Teach me to go too fast, out of control, downhill, fall, and have the sled slam into the back of me and snap into pieces...

Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

Skinning is a lot of work, but I'm usually having fun if I have skis on my feet.

Re: Hiking vs. Skiing

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytrek57
    Let's here your top 5...either way.
    5) Lower chance of injury while hiking.

4) "Hiking season" is not limited to the color of the ground.

3) I couldn't bring my baby boy skiing with me.

2) I don't have to pay $35+ for each person in my party to climb a mountain.

1) I can stay overnight while hiking for less than $20.

Coming from a non-skier.
    You have to do the hard things in life sooner or later. -- Earl Hickey's Karma Guide

Quote Originally Posted by smitty77
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytrek57
    Let's here your top 5...either way.

Coming from a non-skier.
    Your arguments are good. Thats not fair.
    Skiing is my addiction.

This one I don't agree with. Even if your odds of getting injured while hiking are less (which is debatable), at least with skiing, competent medical assistance and equipment is less than 5 minutes away from you.

Very few people hike in the Wintertime anyway - maybe less than the number of skiers who find "white ground" in the off-season (like those on TGR's message board)

Sure you can.. Get one of the Kelty K.I.D.S. backpacks and take them along! Ski slowly though.. (:

Got me there. Doh!
    EDIT: no you don't - last I heard, backcountry skiing was still free. You have to earn your turns, of course, but with hiking, you have to earn your views (and you don't even get good turns on the way down. gip!) What you're paying for is a ferry up to the top of the mountain.. actually 20 ferries..

You can do this while skiing, too, with even more comfort than a hiker would (because you are car-supported, you can use gear that's not lightweight)

5 reasons why skiing is more fun than hiking:

1) No clouds of insects following me and every step.

2) No heat and humidity to deal with.

3) The chairlift does the climbing for me

4) No potentially life threatening wild animals to
    fend off.

5) Snow and lots of it to play in, deep powder snow,
    corn snow, packed powder snow.

I am an avid skier and nature lover/gardener. I like flowers and perennial gardening. So every spring I have the Jekyll and Hyde syndrome.

Half of me sees my crocus and daffodils emerging from the ground and is like, ahhhh springtime, while the other half is screaming SMASH those stupid flowers back into the ground with your ski's

Perhaps I should take up hiking again, I hiked on the lower slopes of Mnt Hood years ago when I went summer skiing, the lupine and columbine were spectacular. Paradise lodge at Ranier is stunning.
    2016-2017 - 21 Days

Quote Originally Posted by loafer89
    Half of me sees my crocus and daffodils emerging from the ground and is like, ahhhh springtime, while the other half is screaming SMASH those stupid flowers back into the ground with your ski's
    That made my day, thanks!
    Brian

We are fortunate in the North East to have great access to both...

...but a huge chunk of the world does not have a winter. Searching for snow can be a time consuming and costly ordeal for people who are farther away than a day's drive from snow.

-Hiking can be found anywhere in the world, snow or no snow.
    -You don't need any special equipment to do it
    -In the long run it is cheaper - The number of skiers who are sleeping in their car and going crosscountry skiing the next day is way too little to even make a difference

Skiing and hiking are just two different animals, but the truth is that hiking can be enjoyed by anyone who can hitch a ride to a trail or just walk in their backyard. Skiing is more of a rush, does "feel" more fun, is more elite, and will cost you.

And who says you can't run down a mountain when hiking for a good rush?
    ...Go up the Tucks trail to Hojos... then turn around and run down skipping on the rocks - that was hella fun
    Sign, sign everywhere a sign... pointing out the trails, can\'t make up my mind.

What is this "paying to ski" of which you speak?

Seriously, backcountry skiing is the logical extension of 3-season hiking, mixed in with a little winter mountaineering/hiking where applicable. I've pretty much given up winter hiking but I still climb mountains in winter, and I have much more fun on the way down.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by cbcbd
    We are fortunate in the North East to have great access to both...

...but a huge chunk of the world does not have a winter. Searching for snow can be a time consuming and costly ordeal for people who are farther away than a day's drive from snow.

-Hiking can be found anywhere in the world, snow or no snow.
    -You don't need any special equipment to do it
    -In the long run it is cheaper - The number of skiers who are sleeping in their car and going crosscountry skiing the next day is way too little to even make a difference

Another good set of points. Not convinced yet though

Skiing and hiking are just two different animals, but the truth is that hiking can be enjoyed by anyone who can hitch a ride to a trail or just walk in their backyard. Skiing is more of a rush, does "feel" more fun, is more elite, and will cost you.

And who says you can't run down a mountain when hiking for a good rush?
    ...Go up the Tucks trail to Hojos... then turn around and run down skipping on the rocks - that was hella fun
    Another good set of points. Not convinced yet.
    Skiing is my addiction.

Thread Information