Hiking vs. Skiing - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I have been skiing for nearly 25 years, and to date my worst injury was falling down on the sidewalk of our condo in the ice storm at Sugarloaf in 1998.

As for lift lines, if you know a mountain really well you can avoid or eliminate the need to wait in any line. You can also ski the less traveled resorts to avoid crowds. Bugs can carry a host of diseases that can be life threatening, people do not die waiting in a lift line.

The artifical enviornment of defying nature by making snow when it is a sunny day is cool

Speed is also a key factor, I believe it would be difficult to attain speeds of 60+mph or greater while hiking????
    2016-2017 - 21 Days

I was all about skiing in my late teens and early 20s . When I graduated highschool I moved to VT and skied every day. For three years I thought about nothing but skiing, summer sucked. Then life caught up with me ,I got a real job.Back in CT. The plus side of this was it forced me into other free time activites. Backpacking, MT Biking, Crosscountry skiing, White water Kayaking ,Motorcycle touring . and other things. I love them all equal including the limited downhill I get to do.No one thing is better than the other they are just different. They all have there time and place. The more you do in life for fun the happier you will be when your kids throw you in a home. I say just do it all, or, sit on the coutch watching ski movies wishing for snow. Life is a big party be there!!!

60, is that fast? please don't drive in front of me on the highway, please stay to the right.

Die in a lift line, no but I know of one person who did break their nose when they tried to take cuts in line. (I was neither party involved, I probably would have put a hole in his pants....)

No bugs hiking in October - Thru April or wear DEET, DEET works anywhere in the world, knowing all the terrain to avoid all the popular trails on all the mountains all over New England, CO, CA, MT, Canada & Europe, good luck.

Bugs & insect borne diseases are possible doing anything, a day at the beach, gardening at home, sitting on your deck/porch after work or in traffic in a convertible. Hiking would lower the chance of getting something as insects carrying diseases like West Nile & Lyme are not everywhere yet.
    Happy Trails, be safe & Good Luck
    Mike P.

My uncle contracted lyme disease while hiking in Bear Mountain State Park, and has been suffering from it for the last 5 years.

I skied 27 days last season, and waited no more than 10 minutes in line, and that was at Hunter, probably the most congested area around NYC. I have waited longer on line the the grocery store or for a table at a resteraunt.

Sugarloaf, Saddleback, Black Mountain, Bretton Woods, Wildcat, skied them all this winter on weekends, no lift lines.

Modern High Speed lift networks reduce or eliminate the wait at most ski areas today.
    2016-2017 - 21 Days

Sunset on any mountain, anytime of year, see if they will let you ride up after hours for a dusk run after the sun goes down, if they have night skiing, ask them to turn off the lights so you can enjoy the colors.
    i was thinking about this last night while catching a sunset on bald rock, that i could never catch a sunset on skis. it is pretty tough to do even back country as you'd need to ski down in the dark or by headlamp... or camp the night somewhere. both not ideal situations.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

We all love different sports for different reasons. Whitewater Kayaking is more dangerous for me than skiing or hiking. Moving water can be very frightening, it has unbelievable power. Hopefully I will not get on the wrong side of any river and get the chance to find out the hard way.
    2016-2017 - 21 Days

This is Skier75, I'm having some difficulties with logging my hubby out, uphillklimber. Stupid thing....anyway, I do like both, but prefer skiing. No bugs! I don't mind the cold either, that doesn't bother me too much, except maybe jsut a little when it gets below zero. Believe it or not I can't wait for bug season to end! God, the bugs just have field day with me. I can just hike and get in shape for ski season!
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il
    i could never catch a sunset on skis. it is pretty tough to do even back country as you'd need to ski down in the dark or by headlamp... or camp the night somewhere. both not ideal situations.
    What's wrong with camping?

I wouldn't want to downhill ski by headlamp (unless it was on a big, wide open trail under a full moon), but certainly cross-country skiing (in the backcountry) is very doable at night. That layer of snow is very reflective and any light in the sky at all, even starlight, will give you some amount of visibility. Add in a full moon or a headlamp and you're set!
    Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

I'm feeling pretty schizophrenic today. I can't decide on which side I should fall. I've had great and lousy experiences doing both...
    There's just such an incredible difference b/t a day standing in line to ski 500 vertical feet and going heli-skiing with friends that it's hard to lump that into the one category "skiing." And it's hard to lump a hot, buggy, humid, wooded camping trip into the same category as a day spent with marvelous views, a magical sunset, and peacefulness beyond description.
    I think skiing is more fun (exhilirating, exciting, etc.), while hiking/backpacking is more satisfying (peaceful, contemplative). Of course, I have plenty of experiences with both that work against that generality.
    Like I said, schizophrenic!

What a thread! How did I miss this one? Anyway, I love both. That's why I started this site. I've been hiking longer than I've been skiing, but I think my love of mountains/views/etc (from my early hiking experiences) is partly what appealed to me about skiing in the beginning. I love being at a place like Loon in the winter and looking around at all the peaks I've been on/places I've hiked/camped in the Pemi. Similarly, I now like checking out ski areas from the mountains I climb, or hiking at ski areas in the off season.

I think blacknblue said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue
    I think skiing is more fun (exhilirating, exciting, etc.), while hiking/backpacking is more satisfying (peaceful, contemplative).
    They really are two completely different activities. If I had to choose, I would have to say I enjoy lift-serviced skiing better than hiking (dayhiking at least). For me the biggest reason is the challenge skiing offers and the desire to improve. It takes several hundred ski days to get good at skiing. Do you really "improve" much as a hiker? Sure you acquire more strength and endurance if you do it often enough, but hiking takes far less skill than skiing. Once you get to the point where you can rapidly descend a rocky trail mindlessly without thinking about where you are placing your feet, there's little additional ability needed.

Perhaps this is the reason some folks are turned on to hiking. It's a relatively easy thing to do from a default skillset standpoint (you're just walking up and downhill in the woods, after all), but for something that anybody in reasonably good shape can do, the rewards are huge. Maybe this is why so many hikers feel compelled to plan their hikes according to various lists, i.e. to add an additional measure of "skill" or experience. I never followed lists. The experience of just hiking is enough to satisfy me. Maybe the learning curve involved with skiing well is also what turns many people off. For me, it's what makes me want to keep doing it. Backcountry camping/backpacking/basecamping are different animals than dayhiking or peakbagging in that it's necessary to do them often to acquire certain skills to make the experiences enjoyable and comfortable.

Now reconsidering blacknblue's comments above, I can really see the appeal in backcountry skiing. I hope to get into it more once I feel my downhill skills are strong enough. Both are extremely rewarding activities so combining them must be a great way to enjoy both.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Thread Information