• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking vs. Skiing

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Hiking is just a means to an end. That is to say either to ski back down or get in better shape to ski or to scope backcountry turns. Any way you look at it you're outside.

Wavewheeler

I do both. I also snowshoe. Hiking is a cheap way to get out and about and enjoy the outdoors. I especially like steep uphills and rock scrambling. It's a great way to stay in shape and I like to combine it with camping.

I tend to hike in spring, fall and early winter. Winter is skiing and summer is for kayaking/biking. :)

hammer

For me it's all good but to each its time...and now is for skiing. Would never get the DW out for climbing mountains in the wintertime anyway.

The DW did mention hiking to Tuckerman in the spring but I'd have a hard time watching others ski and not give it a try myself. I know the top is steep but if I'm in the right shape for the hike can one ski at least part of it if the steeper sections are above one's ability to ski safely?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
The DW did mention hiking to Tuckerman in the spring but I'd have a hard time watching others ski and not give it a try myself. I know the top is steep but if I'm in the right shape for the hike can one ski at least part of it if the steeper sections are above one's ability to ski safely?
Sure, you can hike up as far as you feel comfortable, it gets steeper the higher you climb. It may be a little tricky in some places to put your skis on if no one has created a nice snow platform but it's not that big of a deal if the slope isn't super steep.

But don't underestimate the difference between hiking up to Tucks, and hiking up to Tucks carrying skis and boots. :)