• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Boston Butt

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Meat: Boston Butt 16.26 pounds (or two 8 pounders)
Rub: Lawry's Pork Rub
Wood Chips: Hickory
Liquid in drip pan: 1 cup of apple juice

Prep]: I rinsed both pieces off, patted them dry and then put on the rub. I put them into the Orion fat side down.

Cook time: Well, there's a good story to tell here. I went skiing in the morning, but I got a really late start. I didn't get to the mountain until 9:30. It was 10 degrees when I left the house, and 12 when I got to the mountain with 20mph wind gusts. Damn cold. I had three layers on, so I wasn't feeling too much of it. Ski conditions were fantastic, so I stayed much later than I wanted to, 3pm. By the time I got home, it was 5pm and I didn't get the butts into the cooker until 8pm, it was 15 degrees out.

I had a few Long Trail Blackbeary Wheats while they were cooking. I stoked the coals at 10:30. This was a rather effective method of removing the ash, I thought. I refilled both top and bottom rings, had a few more LT's and passed out. Yup passed out, on the sofa with the TV on. I woke up at 2am and freaked! I ran outside and...

Results: ...expected a disaster. I pulled the cover off and the cooking chamber was still full of smoke and steam. A temperature check was showing 170F. Hmmm

I tried to pick one of the butts up and it was falling apart :) . I brought them both inside to find some of the most tender, moist and flavorful pulled pork I've ever had. Bone pulled out cleanly and effortlessly. Pork shredded up nicely. The flavor was amazing. I put it all into pans for our Christmas Eve celebration. Everyone loved it. I still can't believe that I fell asleep while cooking this and it still came out perfect. Is there anything the Orion does wrong?

Pictures:
PP01.jpg

PP02.jpg

PP03.jpg

Boston Butt #1 in
PP04.jpg

Boston Butt #2 in
PP05.jpg

Snow!!!
PP06.jpg

Results
PP07.jpg

Pulled with a some Sweat Baby Ray's mixed in.
PP08.jpg

WoodCore

Looks awesome Root! Gotta love Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce!

All said and done including the pass out what was the total cook time? 5 hours?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Looks awesome Root! Gotta love Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce!

All said and done including the pass out what was the total cook time? 5 hours?
I had intended to cook it for 5, but actually cooked it for over 6!!:-o

I think the super cold temps outside helped prevent a disaster.

On a side note, this will be my last Orion TR for 2008. January is looking pretty busy, but I'll see what I can fire up ;)

Glenn

Wow! Nice job!

I did a turkey breast on Christmas. I'll have to post a TR.