• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/3 Storm Speculation Thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
northward ho!

Course, since I posted that, they updated it, currently, crap for precip..

Northern Vermont is doing better than most on the natural precip front. Stowe just reporting 4-5", Sugarbush and MRG 3" in the past 24 hrs.
Not sure what Bolton is smoking - they are reporting 10-12" in 24 hrs. Someone better check 'em out!

It seems that the higer els in the north of VT stand a good chance of frozen precip through the period. Kinda windy right now though.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/

When the going gets tough, head north!

Last edited:

Chesser

That 10-12" at Bolton is/was accurate. I was there Saturday, and the snow that morning was fluffy, prevalent, and unexpected. I can't explain why Stowe/Bush/Smuggs didn't get more--but it could have something to do with Bolton facing WNW. The downside of that is freak wind holds that no other mountain gets--the upside is weird storm totals.

For a suspicious report, check out Smuggs from that day. Claimed 4" at dawn, 4-6" at lunchtime, and (probably after seeing Bolton's totals) were saying 6-10" late afternoon. The snow stopped falling mid-morning, so if they had 6" by lunchtime, they sure didn't pick up 4" more thereafter. Stowe raised their number to something like 7-8" by the end of the storm, and I don't doubt it.

I need better hobbies.