• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

new here. gear (ski) help please!!!

bender73

hello, i am new here (first post). basically, i feel like an idiot cause i have been skiing since i was about 6 yrs old and i'm pretty darn good!!! the sad thing is that i am an equipment idiot. i am now 32 by the way. i have an old pair of K2s that i've had since high school. the last time i went skiing i took them out, wiped off the dust, and went out west and flew down the summit of squaw valley with ease. i think its about time to actually learn about today's technology and get into a pair of skis that fit me and my style. so, i ask for your help.

first of all, i am 5'8" and 165 pounds

my style is pretty much aim and go on the hardest trails i can find :D

i am partial to K2s for some reason. my new colleague at work was a past member of the US ski team so i have finally found a ski buddy...hence, i can get out a lot more and the reason why i want a new pair of sticks.

what should i be looking for in a ski?

thanks in advance and feel free to ask the appropriate questions so i can have a good starting point.

bender73

awf170 said:
kinda need more info... interested in groomed, moguls, crud, powder, glades????

like i said, i take a very simplistic view and that's why i feel like an idiot!!!

if i had a choice, i would say i enjoy moguls (if not covered in ice) and trails that are cruddy and challenging. lots of leg work and the need to really dig into the snow. that's not to say i don't enjoy a nice run down a fresh trail and laying first tracks.

i think i'm more of a short length ski kinda guy...i mean, i don't even know the length of the skis i have now!!!

its the way i learned and it might sound dumb but i was basically brought to a place when i was a kid, given skis, and with like 1/2 of a lesson i have been on my own.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
my best advice would simply to show up for a demo day that is fairly well represented by the major ski manufacturers. talk with each guy at each tent, demo two or three skis per manufacturer and find out what works best for you. if you can not provide a specific need you are looking for in a ski, based to look at the quickly becoming cliche "all mountain mid-fat" that is fairly well represented in multiple styles from each manufacturer. at 5'8" you're probably looking at the lower to mid 170s (shorter for quick turns and bumps, longer for powder preference). your current ski should have a legnth printed it on it somewhere, use that as a guide. if you currently have older straight skis, you will probably want to go shorter as the modern side cut makes more efficient use of a shorter ski when turning.

one more thing, don't be partial to any one brand until you have tried them all out. forget about k2 as you know them on 15 year old skis, modern skis are so different that k2 might as well be completely different company. again, i would recommend a demo day. most major ski areas have them once a season. cannon is usually in december on a friday for like $25 and has all the major reps, recommended.

welcome to the boards. :beer:

bender73

riverc0il said:
my best advice would simply to show up for a demo day that is fairly well represented by the major ski manufacturers. talk with each guy at each tent, demo two or three skis per manufacturer and find out what works best for you. if you can not provide a specific need you are looking for in a ski, based to look at the quickly becoming cliche "all mountain mid-fat" that is fairly well represented in multiple styles from each manufacturer. at 5'8" you're probably looking at the lower to mid 170s (shorter for quick turns and bumps, longer for powder preference). your current ski should have a legnth printed it on it somewhere, use that as a guide. if you currently have older straight skis, you will probably want to go shorter as the modern side cut makes more efficient use of a shorter ski when turning.

one more thing, don't be partial to any one brand until you have tried them all out. forget about k2 as you know them on 15 year old skis, modern skis are so different that k2 might as well be completely different company. again, i would recommend a demo day. most major ski areas have them once a season. cannon is usually in december on a friday for like $25 and has all the major reps, recommended.

thanks!!! ...great post

yea, i am on straight skis. i'm not trying to come across arrogant about my ability because i am far from that type of person. its just that i seem to have a natural ability on the slopes for some reason. probably because i started at such a young age when i had zero fear of hurting myself and used to launch myself off of every jump/cliff i could find!!! over time i just felt comfortable on anything and would ski whenever/where-ever as evidenced by the fact that i went out west to the peaks of big mountains without even getting my skis tuned/waxed.

i think its about time i took a look into getting into a pair of skis that fit my style. i'd like to buy before the season starts...maybe this summer.

i dunno, people seem to rate skis and are very picky. i tend to find that as long as the length is good then i don't fret too much. maybe i just got lucky with my trusty K2s.

i don't even know what the true definition of "crud" is!!! :D

ALLSKIING

Staff member
bender73 said:
riverc0il said:

i don't even know what the true definition of "crud" is!!! :D
Well..read all these old posts you will learn alot from the people on this board. Welcome

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i think its about time i took a look into getting into a pair of skis that fit my style. i'd like to buy before the season starts...maybe this summer.
i (and most other gear enthusists) can not advise against this enough. especially since you have previously only skied on straight skis. different skis are designed for different skiers, different abilities, different size and weight skiers, and different abilities. also, differing in what type of snow you prefer and how you individually ski the snow. while there are certain stand outs the most skiers prefer, even experts differ tremendously (i hated the atomic metron and head chip series but other skiers swear by them for example).

i dunno, people seem to rate skis and are very picky. i tend to find that as long as the length is good then i don't fret too much. maybe i just got lucky with my trusty K2s.
length is an important factor in skis, but one of many important factors. the difference between a 178 and 182 for myself is minimal when compared to getting the right ski for the right condition. not to discount size, some skis size is vital to proper performance, but i'd rank it third at best on the vitals list of important aspects of a ski. also, you have not experienced the new skis so i can not emphasize enough that the size that used to be appropriate for you is no longer valid. technology really has changed that much and winging it on a brand new early season top dollar price pair of skis could be a very expensive mistake. i do not mean to sound preachy, just warning ya that demoing is really a good idea, especially where you do not have any basis for comparison regarding what today's models ski like.

i don't even know what the true definition of "crud" is!!!
crud is that gunky, gloppy, chewed up, post-powder that has kinda solidified but is still kinda wet stuff. a propoer mid-fat does wonders on this stuff. last season i was skiing crud on my 63 waist rock skis and was getting tossed around like no body's business. broke out my 79 waist and chewed it up like a champ! :D it's all about having the right tool for the job and the right tool for you.

JimG.

Staff member
Demo! Demo! Demo!

You might get lucky and buy the best ski for you without trying it, but it's not likely.

Did I mention that you must DEMO!!!?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Demo, demo, demo. Maybe go to a shop and talk about what you like to ski...you're going to drop down to about 155-160 cm ski or so and you'll love it. K2's are softer and more forgiving for bumps...don't be afraid to demo other brands as well. Where do you like to ski? And BTW...welcome to AZ! :beer: Maybe come ski with us sometime as well!

awf170

thetrailboss said:
you're going to drop down to about 155-160 cm ski or so and you'll love it.

man that seems short... i was thinking in the 160's. Im 130 pounds and ski a 165cm and was startin to think to myself that was kinda short(too much time listenin to people on TGR about skiin on there 190's)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
yea, i'd agree with awf170 on that one. the only way to get the right size for you is to demo, but 160 for 5'8" and 165 lbs seems on the low end to me, not the high end. then again, i think people are currently too carried away with the whole "go shorter!" trend. powder hounds are already back lashing the other way cause ultra short skis don't ride powder as well. there are several back country boards that are only available in upper 170s and lower 180s.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I think it all depends on the ski! To throw out a "ballpark" length is wrong. I'm 5'9", I have 2 pair of skis. One is 177cm, and the other is 161cm. The 161 is not too short! That particular ski was made to be skied shorter. The 177 is not too long, in that model, it is the right ski for me. As others have said, DEMO, DEMO, DEMO. When you think you may have found a couple you like, try each ski in a couple different lengths! Don't be afraid to go short if the rep recommends it. Try it, you may like it.

i posted this over at the K-zone MB.

"Emroch3 wrote:
After years away from regular skiing, I plan on returning (kids -ages 3 and 4 will be introduced this year). I need some advice as to skis/lengths, bindings and boots I should demo as I need equipment (on the limited occassions I have skied over the last several years I have used my old 203 cm Atomic Team Bionic Slaloms circa 1985 with Marker MR turntable bindings and Dynafit 4 buckle boots).

Looking for versatile ski which can handle moderate bumping and short to medium radius turns on hard snow. I am 5'9 about 160 and NOT in shape, used to be an excellent but not awesome skier (competant to handle anything marked with ease but not necessarily at 500 mph).

Any suggestions for demos-- I have not followed equipment in years.

Thanks for any responses!

I must say this.
Ty and geoff just about covered it.

As far as skiing old school sticks VS new school "Shaped skis" one thing you will find that the "Shaped " ski will be a pleasent experence.
about my self(and I hope this helps) i am 6'1"205 lbs and useto ski on 203 SL skis, 205-210 GS skis and sport a pair of 223 Dh skis.
Now i ski the Atomic Metron B-5 @163 cm along with others that range from 160-178cm.
What you discribed in your post youare looking 4 a a do all ski,bumps,med short turns.
Rule of thumb goes like this.
Look for a ski that will fall between your eye brows and hair line.
The flex of the ski will also come into play when making your choice in skis.
(my metron B5's are about as stiff as a ski can get, thats why I can ski it so short. where the metron 11 is softer and a longer length is advised).
Again soft, go longer. vs stiff go shorter.

for the little ones leasing 4 the season is your best bet.
Or buy 4 the older and lease 4 the younger. then pass the olders skis on 2 the younger. (most kids will/can get 2-3 seasons out of a ski before they grow out of it.

back 2 you a good choice 4 a "do all"ski I would look for a ski that has a TR of 12-17m.
Skis with a TR above 17m. tend to want to shine at larger/GS turns.

A good ski to look at is the Atomic SL'9. it is a soft SL ski that is a great all rounder.(160-170cm).

soft SL skis tend 2 have great edege grip and are forgiving.

Some of the "All Mtn. skis tend 2 have a larger TR. and have 2 be worked while skiing the bumps.
But shine in 90% of what mother nature throws at us.
So demo.Demo,demo and eather nail the old sticks to the barn or convert them into the worlds fastest sled.
have fun.
Paul Elliott

Oh yeah before or while demoing "Shaped" skis I am going to advise a lesson or two, Why?
because when crossing over to the "New School" skis you WILL find that your old school way of skiing will not be effective while flashing around on the new stuff....and thats whats it's all about, right PPL?

A broken Man all Alone is Something I ain't Never Gonn'a Be!

bigbog

Hey bender73,
Everyone's mentioned great stuff...StarterJacketsRule! & others...hey..one thing to note, teachski's been on medication...following surgery...soooo :roll:
Highpeaksdrifter has noted one of the hottest 05/06 skis demoed by professionals as early as last Feb-Mar. I've heard only high praises from many over on Epicski.com. It's THE correct length too. Sidecut design with some exotic-materials, not the amount of sandwich-wrapping, has taken over...so there aren't too many "bad = not good" skis out there. It's the sidecut revolution!...it's wide open...and everyone's doing things...so as mentioned by JimG, rivercoil, & others....you have to Demo to find what your body & MIND :D likes.

Initiating a turn is so much easier...start "peeling the tomato" early (roll those ankles & tip to little & big toes) and these boards have tons of torsional stiffness...you gotta be aware of fore/aft balance...cause these bases are soooo much faster than those in the past, but at 3pm...your kness will still be smiling these days...
..and I'm a relative newcomer to skiing, after kneeling in ww boats decades ago on nothin' but junk...if my legs/feet can dance @3pm, your's certainly can.
...and watch some of John Clendenon(sp?)'s bump tips...from his days of bump bashing to today's shorter ski techniques....
Steve

bender73

thanks everyone

i went by ski market today and spoke to a nice lady that got me up to speed and boy do i have ancient technology under my boots!!! :D

i'd love to buy on no tax day but its obvious i need to demo some skis or at the very least do more research. the bottom line though guys is that i've been doing great on old-school straight skis with zero wax and pretty much never tuned. i know i need to find "my" skis but anything this millenium will be better than what i'm skiing with now!!! :eek:

its like driving a 1970s beetle and then choosing between a new BMW vs. benz vs. ferrari!!! they have pros/cons but all are better. :beer: