• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Banner Ads

Max

Hit the mailbox and win a free X-box? No wonder this country is so screwed up...advertisements recommending a lack of respect for someone else's property.

We had a discussion about this at work last night. I brought up the subject of saving gasoline by riding a bicycle a bit more on short trips. Then someone said ,"Yeah? And how are you going to get home after your bike gets stolen at Wal Mart?" Good point.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Max said:
We had a discussion about this at work last night. I brought up the subject of saving gasoline by riding a bicycle a bit more on short trips. Then someone said ,"Yeah? And how are you going to get home after your bike gets stolen at Wal Mart?" Good point.
See, that triathlon training will come in handy. When the bike's gone, you can just run home. :roll:

ctenidae

I've had that same thought on those ads. "Something for nothing" and "destruction of personal property". Two Great American Themes.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
banner ads

The banner says "get a free credit report instantly for free". What a joke. Even it's the smallest % who fall for these scams you know that's still a hefty number.

The increased commerciality of our culture in the last 10 years or so is mind boggling. The internet has provided a direct pipeline to every person who surf's the www. Is it the advent of pc's and the internet to blame?

Those who take their laptops and cell phones with them when they go hiking, boating...outdoors...whatever, can never escape.

Sorry to go alittle off tangent here. :D

Greg

Staff member
Moving to feedback. Don't worry, the banners in place currently will soon be replaced by more specific ski area advertisers. The ad network in use now is just a placeholder/experiment. BTW, some of those more annoying/questionable ads have been blocked.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i have bit my tongue on this one, but since the discussion is going :lol: i find many of the current ads annoying, especially those that incorporate lots of flashy annimation. the lack of hiking/skiing theme is kinda weird but i am glad to hear we will soon be returning to a site oriented theme.

my biggest gripe is site load time. every page takes a few extra seconds to load compared to previous incarnations of the ad theme. i always notice the reason on the bottom of my web browser, the site is loading the ad stuff out of tribalfushion.com which is causing the majority of delay in page loads.

bvibert

Staff member
Gonna have to go ahead and agree with Steve on all counts here. When I first logged in after almost 2 months off in June I was really surprised to see a big banner ad about earning a degree, I thought I went to the wrong site!

I've gotten used to them though and pretty much ignore them (sorry).

I have noticed tribalfusion.com taking a more than its fair share of the load times too...

They keep the site free though, so thats gotta be worth something, right? It'll be much better when we get more skiing and hiking related ads going...

Greg

Staff member
Again, I've been working to block the most annoying of the ads. Tribal Fusion is one of the better ad networks in terms of ad control. And yes, stay tuned for more targeted/locally-served ads soon. Just check out the Jay Peak ads on the Home page for example.

ctenidae

More targeted ads will, I'm sure, increase clickthrough rates significantly, which won't hurt anything.
That being said, when you do see an ad that's not annoying, click on it. The 2 seconds of your life can help keep AZ free.

Greg

Staff member
ctenidae said:
That being said, when you do see an ad that's not annoying, click on it. The 2 seconds of your life can help keep AZ free.
I would suggest only clicking ads if they're truly of interest to you. Please do not make it a habit of just clicking ads because you think you're helping out the site. It's not good for the online advertising industry overall as this will eventually devalue clickthroughs as advertisers will not see a good ROI. Also, many networks monitor their ads for excessive clicks from individuals and will ban a publisher from their network if they suspect click fraud. So, my suggestion would be only to click on ads that interest you. That ultimately benefits everybody.