• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Outer Limits Closed!

Reckless

Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but I have not heard. And I am a big Killington skier from the 90's when Smith was was still the owner, and I cant make it up there too much anymore. But Outer Limits closed in January. What on earth is going on in Killington ???

dmc

Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but I have not heard. And I am a big Killington skier from the 90's when Smith was was still the owner, and I cant make it up there too much anymore. But Outer Limits closed in January. What on earth is going on in Killington ???

Why is it closed?
I could see because of conditions.. Even MRG closed...

2knees

i could be wrong, but from reading a bit on kzone i dont believe its been open at all yet.

Puck it

It has been closed the last few times that I looked the website. They dropped the ropes on it on the 23rd but it was natural snow only. The cam showed bare spots on it over the weekend. I was curious why they were not blowing snow on it too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
POWDR's clientele must not like bumps.....IIRC ASC really mowed a lot of bump runs because their executives and management didn't like bumps. Go figure :roll:

rachelv

Website
www.mountainreviews.com
Yeah, I was up there all weekend and OL was looking pretty bare -- rocks poking through all over the place, even after Saturday's snow. Crazy, since it has guns permanently mounted along the whole trail and it wouldn't take much more snow to get it open. The only guns I saw on all weekend were on Superstar, which they were really hammering all day Friday and Saturday.

danny p

It was open on 12/23 and was sweet:
ol.jpg

From the Killington Insider page this morning:
Based on the current forecast, we'll fire up the snow guns top-to-bottom on Outer Limits Monday afternoon. Depending upon output, we may be skiing on it sometime Tuesday.

powbmps

Was it open 12/23? I know it opened for the afternoon of 12/21, but was closed on 12/22. Even thought it could have been opened no problem. It was totally covered.

Geoff

Killington is blowing snow on Outer Limits now. In my 25+ years at Killington, Outer Limits has seen January openings maybe one year out of three. This isn't all that unusual. When you have a thaw for Christmas week, all the snowmaking capacity gets diverted to resurface the existing terrain. That's been standard operating procedure at Killington forever.

Superstar and Conclusion were freakin' excellent yesterday.

danny p

Was it open 12/23? I know it opened for the afternoon of 12/21, but was closed on 12/22. Even thought it could have been opened no problem. It was totally covered.

I took that picture after riding down it on 12/23.

Tyrolean_skier

I skied OL as well as the Fiddle on 12/23 and 12/24 - it was great to ski them on natural snow. The heavy rains and warm temperature that followed melted most of the natural snow and you saw rocks and terrain after it. Now it has more coverage from the snow that fell last Saturday but the rocks are still showing through. I believe that Geoff did ski it and thought it was not a do-over. As Geoff said they will start blowing on it today or tomorrow.

Newpylong

Like Geoff said, the efforts were around resurfacing existing major routes instead of expansion. It's happened a lot before...

2knees

outer limits is the steepest and longest mogul slope in the eastern united states.

2knees

:lol: Your such a troll.

love you too dave.

i'll be at killington 1/24 (arriving late) till 1/26 or 27. skiing monday and tuesday. if you can stick around for a day or two please let me know.

Rogman

Killington has been resurfacing most of the mountain after the big 60 degree meltdown right after Christmas. While I think they've taken their time about it, they are getting there.

Outer Limits after the 3 foot dump before Christmas was outstanding. Untracked thigh deep powder after they dropped the rope Sunday afternoon. Sadly, it washed away too quickly in the rain and sun. Here is what the blog entry from today says:

Tom Horrocks in insider.killington.com said:
Leaks happen!

A water leak on Bear Claw kept us from making snow on OL last night. The issue is currently being addressed and we should have OL charged and ready to go later today. However, with the next storm rolling in, we will be evaluating the snowmaking plan for OL throughout the day.