• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Dog Breed for New England Winters

Geoff

Any thoughts on the Best Dog bread for the New England Winters?

A lot of dogs have problems with wheat. You should probably go with gluten-free bread.

Something like this in the bread machine:
In the bread maker's container add:
3 large eggs
1 2/3 cup water
3 tablespoons corn oil
1 teaspoon vinegar

In separate bowl:
¼ cup brown or white rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 ½ cup corn flour
½ cup flaxseed flour
½ cup skim milk powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum

Add dry contents to wet and mix. With your finger make depression and add 2 ¼ teaspoons gluten-free yeast. Set bread maker for whole wheat select light and press go.

ctenidae

I'm a little frightened, and a little impressed, that you had any idea what this thread was baout, Geoff.

I sure as hell didn't. Dog Bread? Dog Breath I'm familiar with, but not dog bread.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I fixed your title to read "dog breed" instead of "dog bread."

I assume you want to discuss:

bernese-mountain-puppy.jpg

And not:

ale-bread-the-resurrection.jpg

Maybe I am wrong....

Grassi21

chihuahua? ;-)

i vote for the bernese mtn dog or st bernard...

ctenidae

Is that your cat? It's a great pic, how'd the cat get out there?

Cats are light. You can toss them pretty far.

Dog BREED makes a lot more sense. Just remember, while there is a New England winter, there's also a summer.

MRGisevil

You want to consider more than just winter given the climate here adjusts so much throughout the year. Getting a dog that does better in colder climates is going to give you a hard time in summer and vice versa. Shaving the dog in summer isn't always necessarily the best option either as for many breeds dog fur tends to work as an automatic heating and cooling system.

Get yourself an all arounder like a lab, golden, shephard, etc. Stay away from the "doodles" though- all the inbreeding is leading to a myriad of health/ social issues coupled with no attention span and a propensity for abandonement therefore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
i was actually looking at the bernese but im not going to get another dog till i have a kid.

I definitely dig the bernese as well, outside of the $12-1500.00 price tag most people I know who have them paid. I do hope not to have another dog until I'm into family building mode.

I had a great yellow lab for 9 years and was able to ski a lot while I had him because I lived near ski areas. Now that I'm a day tripper traveling most days two hours one way to the slope, things would get a touch more difficult.

The lady talks all the time about wanting a dog. We also like to take off to Boston or wherever for a weekend on a whim and a dog would limit the ability to do that as well.

Knowing how much you like to go wake boarding on Cape Cod every weekend half the year even more than skiing Dana, that's something to consider as well. Perhaps Greg will be cool with you bringing along your dog to stay at his .place.....until he craps in the house.

Dog ownership in my eyes is a MAJOR lifestyle commitment.

Grassi21

x one million

love my dogs. but our son limits us less than the dogs do. and it costs money to board the dogs as opposed to leaving them with grandparents. my in-laws are so burnt on the dogs we barely bring them to the cape anymore. :-(

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

x one million

love my dogs. but our son limits us less than the dogs do. and it costs money to board the dogs as opposed to leaving them with grandparents. my in-laws are so burnt on the dogs we barely bring them to the cape anymore. :-(
Yup. It's much easier for us to find someone to watch both our kids than to find anyone willing to even just come by and let our dog out or feed her. :???: I love my dog, but she comes with a lot of hassles, potty accidents, puking incidents, and other troubles... It's like having a perpetual 2 year old. Which is good in many ways... but not so conducive to a lifestyle of daytripping or just taking off whenever you want. We will not be replacing her once she has lived her life.

dmc

If you want to ski wherever you want, whenever you want.....

Indeed..... I love dogs so much... i can't have one...

My cats can be left for periods of time... they poop in a box inside so no need to let them out... they won't gorge themselves on food so you can leave big dish out...

And they kill rodents for pleasure...