• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay's marketing machine in high gear...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
This just in from JPR. Unlike MRG, Jay doesn't hype it's reports ;)

"Snow reporting (and 242-ing) will be easier this week what with as much as 24" of new snow heading our way. In the interest of complete disclosure, one of our forecasters is calling for 12"+ today through tomorrow; the other is calling for 18-24" by Friday. We like the 2nd report better "

crank

I think MRG is a little more brutally honest. I find that with Jay Peak you have to read between the lines regarding what they leave out of their reports and the timing of updates.

drjeff

"Snow reporting (and 242-ing) will be easier this week what with as much as 24" of new snow heading our way. In the interest of complete disclosure, one of our forecasters is calling for 12"+ today through tomorrow; the other is calling for 18-24" by Friday[size=-4] before the wind starts blowing and leaves us with a generalized 2 to 6". We like the 2nd report better "[/SIZE]

Fixed it for you billski ;)

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
From the latest update of our report (which has been updated 6 times since 7am)

**3:50pm UPDATE**
4-6" on the ground and and we're back to more snow here just before 4:00pm. Just so we're all on the same page, we got some light mixing between 1:15pm and 2:00pm and something more closely resembling actual rain for about 15 minutes right around 3:15-3:30pm. Snowing again now though and temps are on the way down--right around 23 degrees and dropping here at 4:00pm. Not sure any of the mixing will matter much-just wanted you to know. Wind is supposed to blow tomorrow too, so please keep an eye on the snow report before you make the drive.

Snowmaking continues on Upper and Lower Can Am which will come online this weekend along with our Harmony Lane Park. Snowmaking will begin tomorrow or Friday on Upper and Lower Exhibition which will open shortly after Can-Am.

"Snow reporting (and 242-ing) will be easier this week what with as much as 24" of new snow heading our way. In the interest of complete disclosure, one of our forecasters is calling for 12"+ today through tomorrow; the other is calling for 18-24" by Friday. We like the 2nd report better "

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
And, for the record Bill, MRG is calling (and quoting Roger Hill as well) 8-16" of snow throughout the period. I'm reading their report right now. I don't see any mention of mixed, sleet nor rain. Maybe they missed out and it was just the most northern tip of the state that got in on the shit today. Maybe.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Not sure it's you being a skeptic I was calling into question, but I'll go ahead and cross my fingers on more snow as well....

Just call me a skeptic.

I hope I am wrong. I really hope I'm wrong. I want that snow as bad as you do.

mister moose

And, for the record Bill, MRG is calling (and quoting Roger Hill as well) 8-16" of snow throughout the period. I'm reading their report right now. I don't see any mention of mixed, sleet nor rain. Maybe they missed out and it was just the most northern tip of the state that got in on the shit today. Maybe.

We had the same discussion on Sugarbush vs Killington snow reports on K-zone today. I suppose you could change the tag line to

Jay Peak: If you're not here for the snow report, then you're not here.

Steve puts out the best slant out there. Sure, he could give us more detail on how windswept, or where the snow depth was measured... (hint hint) but he's still out in front of most others.

Sorry to hear the warm layer got that far north.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I love it when people call JP out... they are no worst than average and better than many at snow reporting. I used to be a critic. Reporting has improved in recent years. In a matter of fact, I have noticed many "brutally honest" reports this season that I really appreciated. I'll get you a report on what you are missing this weekend Bill. ;)

Geoff

Steve Wright always called the snowfall amounts accurately when he worked at Killington.

I think weekenders have a false perception that ski areas lie about the amount of snow they get from a storm. It snows a foot on a Wednesday. It's basically gone when they show up on Saturday. It settles. The wind pushes it around. It gets skied on.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Steve Wright always called the snowfall amounts accurately when he worked at Killington.

I think weekenders have a false perception that ski areas lie about the amount of snow they get from a storm. It snows a foot on a Wednesday. It's basically gone when they show up on Saturday. It settles. The wind pushes it around. It gets skied on.

didnt you get the memo they reserve the snow for those that work durring the week. lol

Last edited:

Tin Woodsman

Steve -

You should pick a better target than MRG when it comes to being skeptical about your competitors' reports. There's are, across the board, far more honest than any other in the industry. Given the, IMHO well deserved, rap Jay has had over the years, I think discretion would be the better part of valor on this. Besides, any idiot can click on their webcam and see what's happening.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Steve@jpr only brought up MRG not mentioning NCP in self defense. That gets a pass, IMO. Certainly solid self defense when being called out on not being honest in a report when the standard in the industry is not mentioning NCP as well.

twinplanx

So ski resorts may sugarcoat there snow reports. Isn't that why AZ has a trip report section?

ccskier

I also have been critical of the Jay reports over the years and will say that things have improved. Sure, there are Jay inches, but it is better. The only thing that I do not like is say there is 5-7 inches, they use the 7 towards the season total. Use the average. Overall I commend Jay for reporting they have this year, warning on conditions, wind holds, etc... People who have been to Jay know that they are in a different world when it comes to the weather and they do the best with what they have, that is the most snow in the East!

BLESS

we shouldnt even be having this discussion. They should be 100% honest, all the time. Obviously that doesnt happen and never will.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Steve@jpr only brought up MRG not mentioning NCP in self defense. That gets a pass, IMO. Certainly solid self defense when being called out on not being honest in a report when the standard in the industry is not mentioning NCP as well.

except that

1) at least as of 5:45 p.m. yesterday (Wed.) MRG did mention NCP on their home page:

We have already picked up about 4-5" of stiff, base-building snow mixed with a bit of sleet, just the kind of stuff we needed.

2) The MRG reference to 8-16" came via a link to Josh Fox's blog, which stated Tuesday in the lead paragraph:

It still is likely that we see a few hours of sleet tomorrow afternoon but the total sleet will be minimal and there is a chance that we see none at all.

(I don't remember if MRG's home page mentioned possible sleet before yesterday afternoon's update, but they weren't open yesterday anyway.)

3) The MRG site also has its own version of Roger Hill's report, including

With biggest snowfall of the season on the horizon so far, this system has had numerous complications with a bubble of warmer air aloft trying to head into central Vermont, making a portion of the storm to fall as sleet and cutting down snowfall amounts. It appears that this warmer bubble aloft will barely reach Stark Mountain during the afternoon Wednesday where the changeover will be relatively brief, otherwise impressive amounts of snow will coat the mountain.

Clearly we all need a lot of unmitigated base-building snow topped by even more blower so we're not so distracted and cranky ...

edit: disclosure: MRG shareholder, and am under the impression Jay's condition reports (snow + wind) are pretty good these days too

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Wasn't me picking the target t-dub. And, for those paying attention at least the last several years, 'far more honest across the board than any in the industry' feels a little strong to me but opinions are certainly as subjective as snow reports can be, so you are more than entitled to yours.

And I'm absolutely certain that your piece about webcams isn't an inference (however oblique) that resorts are absolved of having to paint accurate pictures by virtue of a guest's access to technology.

As far as MRG goes, we partner with them on our Triple Major, we offer their Season Pass and Mad Card holders half price discounts when they have to close (at the request and thanks of Jamie et al), and they are simpatico, in many ways, with how we approach the business so, again, no slight on them; again, I didn't bring them into the discussion.

Steve -

You should pick a better target than MRG when it comes to being skeptical about your competitors' reports. There's are, across the board, far more honest than any other in the industry. Given the, IMHO well deserved, rap Jay has had over the years, I think discretion would be the better part of valor on this. Besides, any idiot can click on their webcam and see what's happening.