• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$10 Parking at Gore

poconovfr

I'm so against this. Camelback has decided to reserve their upper lot for preferred parking at 15.00 a day. We had hope early in the season that it would not work as most pass holders went down to the 2nd level and it mostly sat empty but as the holidays and peak season hit it has been a success for the mountain. So now no matter how early we get to the mountain it's the 2nd level for me. I'm not against the mountain making money but sometimes they seem to be chiseling in the wrong direction.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

A ski area is a giant maze,you look hard enough you will find the secret stash parking.

Alex if you have skiied there long enough you've seen them (mgt.) take over all the really good parking .....it's now water park.If you know your way around and that should not be to tough now,you will find good parking in the lower areas.

4aprice

A ski area is a giant maze,you look hard enough you will find the secret stash parking.

Alex if you have skiied there long enough you've seen them (mgt.) take over all the really good parking .....it's now water park.If you know your way around and that should not be to tough now,you will find good parking in the lower areas.

The employees this season have been banished to Parking Lot #4. I arrive early every weekend and park in lot 2 near the ramp closest to the new locker room. I don't really mind the walk. Weekdays you can still park in the upper lot. Actually they allow the first 20 Fireside Club members to park in preferred parking on the weekend. I could get in there most weekends, however, I park in lot 2 as a form of protest. There are other things in the works that are unsettling as well. Like I said I'm not against the mountain making money but I feel they are chipping away at the wrong people. There are many pass holders who have been there for years who are unhappy as well. Watch what they want to do with the Fireside Club in the coming years. Still with my complaints the one thing they have done very well this year is provide us with good skiing (the major reason to be there). We started Thanksgiving weekend with a good amount of terrain open and they are now 100% open. Early season the upper lot for the most part lay empty and it will be interesting to see what happens on the back end as well. I'm just against payed parking at ski areas.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

poconovfr

I'm with ya'. Trust me the employees are none to happy about having to park in the most theft ridden lot at the area. I've worked on and off at the mountain since I was a kid so I've seen lots of changes as have you I'm sure,this last leadership change is not good. I think our new GM couldn't give a rats ass about the people who'll still be coming in March,who fill the slow mid-week days,who put up with all the BS and still plunk down hard earned dollars. As far as the early hour on weekends,we don't have access to the area only one lift which I wasn't told when I dropped down the cash for the pass.

IMO...........the place is a Wally World,it's catering to the summer folks.The day Elk puts in high speeds I'm gone and I don't think I'll be the only one.

I'm with ya'. Trust me the employees are none to happy about having to park in the most theft ridden lot at the area. I've worked on and off at the mountain since I was a kid so I've seen lots of changes as have you I'm sure,this last leadership change is not good. I think our new GM couldn't give a rats ass about the people who'll still be coming in March,who fill the slow mid-week days,who put up with all the BS and still plunk down hard earned dollars. As far as the early hour on weekends,we don't have access to the area only one lift which I wasn't told when I dropped down the cash for the pass.

IMO...........the place is a Wally World,it's catering to the summer folks.The day Elk puts in high speeds I'm gone and I don't think I'll be the only one.

The day Elk puts in high speeds I'll be skiing there more..remember high speed lifts have the chairs spread out double as far so it's essentially the same capacity..

poconovfr

The day Elk puts in high speeds I'll be skiing there more..remember high speed lifts have the chairs spread out double as far so it's essentially the same capacity..

The day Elk puts in high speeds will be the begining of the end. lol

Capacity smashitty, it's still only a 4 min. ride to the top.:grin:

4min.. = 12 runs an hour...........................I'll move closer to Elk and buy a pass.

4aprice

Sno would be a great option if they put in a HSQ and expanded. I saw a master plan with expansion that looked quite nice. Elk is still a little out of range for me as a home area seeing as my primary residence is North Jersey. We have a place at Arrowhead Lakes which is easy to Elk but location wise CBK is still the best so I'll probably stick with it for a while. (someday I'll get out of this area completely either north or west). Skiing wise they are still providing a decent product.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Can't agree at all,this is the worst conditions and some of the poorest on mountain decision making I've seen yet. Bring Rich back,he was kinda of a tool but he knew wtf was up.

Rich is gone to Bromley VT. I think the conditions have been ok. Asp was great this past weekend.(good bumps) I was there Tuesday night (and I usually never night ski) and it was pretty good. I'm a little ticked that the bumps on Cleo aren't up yet and plan on e-mailing Craig but I think they have been good with making snow and got the mountain fully open pretty quickly. I'm not a terrain park guy (except to ski the cord on the side) so I complain a little about the attention the parks get at the expense of other terrain, but I guess they see money there. Now you really want to bring someone back, bring back Russ.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

poconovfr

Ok,you got me there....I miss Russ.So did you ski Christmas day? Now that was awsome. Yeah I did ski the Asp on Monday and it was some of the finer spine jarring bumps I've seen in a while.......my back is tingeling thinking about it. I mean it's been fairly cold,conditions when the mountain opened were far better than they are right now. It should be good this weekend but I
'm gonna' head north for some west training.I think I will ski Bromley.I've e-mailed those guys enough,I think I'm on Art's hit list. lol

4aprice

Ok,you got me there....I miss Russ.So did you ski Christmas day? Now that was awsome. Yeah I did ski the Asp on Monday and it was some of the finer spine jarring bumps I've seen in a while.......my back is tingeling thinking about it. I mean it's been fairly cold,conditions when the mountain opened were far better than they are right now. It should be good this weekend but I
'm gonna' head north for some west training.I think I will ski Bromley.I've e-mailed those guys enough,I think I'm on Art's hit list. lol

Yeah Art's a pretty big guy so you don't want to be on his hit list. Conditions were great until the Christmas Eve rain. Rain and thaws are a fact of life in the Pocono's. I didn't ski Christmas but everyday after. The 26th, 27th and 28th(even in the fog) were good but the week after was a nightmare crowd wise except for Sunday the 4th after everyone went home. Have fun up north. Heading up Pres day weekend to NH. (son has no race that weekend) Still trying to work out a west trip later in the season. If not it will be several trips to Northern New England in March and early April.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

poconovfr

I know the weather well my friend, my problem was with the timing decision on when they sent the cats out. The mountain did/does not open until 12;30 as you know Christmas day, for the life of me I just can't figure why the cats where sent out before things set up, they had all morning to go out. I live across the street from Shawnee and they were smart enough to see what was gonna' happen........they went out in the morning.

I guess this will become acceptable. Sad. This was not the last time for this blunder.......once I can live with multiple times not good.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
In both emails I received from Gore, they committed to significant advanced notice on the website before paid parking would happen. There has been none.

Clearly one day is not actionable advance notice.

If management is true to their word, there should be no paid parking this weekend.