• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

-42 at underhill tomorrow

Warp Daddy

-20F here... Still biking to work... Confy temps when properly dressed up!
:snow:

Yeah thats true !! The Queen and i took a 2 mile walk in it yesteraday and will again today -- good gear is teh secret !!

Have fun , stay warm

HARDLINE :: Hang tuff bro , keep warm , and by all means HAVE FUN

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
-20F here... Still biking to work... Confy temps when properly dressed up!
:snow:

No offense intended, but I always thought that folks that bicycle on snowpack, ice and slush are a little nuts. To me, it's an issue of stability not temps. I met a fellow years ago, who created studded snow tires for his bike. Basically he hammered tacks inside out. The net net was that he had a history of more bike accidents (involving cars, bridges, trucks and solo) with injury in his two years of doing this than most people experience in a lifetime. He also had to stock quite a collection of wheels, frames, and other parts so he could be certain to get to work the next day if the repairs could not be done overnight. It consumed him. The sliding stories (under trucks, etc.) he would tell were far scarier than any huck story I've ever heard.

BigJay

It's really not that bad... Streets are well plowed... And the trafic is so dense that cars are barely moving... You simply ride between them. Also, i have cyclocross tires that handle the snow pretty good. No slidding around... better grip then most cars... I work downtown and live close by... Plus, we have year-round cycle paths that are cleaned even with there is a snowstorm...

I understand however... To me it was impossible just a few years ago... But it's been 3 years now that i commute all year... and never had a problem...

Yesterday however, some moron passed 2in from my bars... I jumped... I was pissed... He didn't seem to care... I caught him at the light and bang on his window. He opened the window and sais: "I'm sorry sir, i didn't see you, my windows are frosted"...

Makes you wonder who's more dangerous out there!

And in Montreal, cycling is pretty important... You're fairly well respected by motorists as long as you stay near downtown...