• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My Jackson Hole TR thread..January 24th-February 2nd..

I'm in Jackson Hole until tomorrow at lunch time.

Yup and no airline comps..since it was due to air traffic control problems or debris on the runaway or any # of excuses that are non mechanical..I love United Airlines.. :D :rolleyes:

I'm content with my 8 days of skiing..Snow King or the last 2 hours at Jackson Hole doesn't appeal to me..so I'm going to probably just hang out at the Cowboy bar..lol..I'm not upset..it is what it is..it's alot better to be stuck in Jackson an extra day than Chicago or Denver...one of my options to get home by tomorrow morning involved 4 flights..right now what matters is that I'm back for the February 7th PASR day at Blue mountain the true mountain..

Fingers crossed that I can get home today...11AM shuttle to a 1255PM flight just like yesterday..my flight yesterday wasn't cancelled until I got to the airport..

I'm back in the A..my flight arrived 10 minutes early or 23 hours and 50 minutes late..and it's snowing!!!!!! Pictures will be up sometime tomorrow....the cord is at work...

Picture Time..

Here are some pictures from Jackson Hole..Enjoy!!!

Corbetts Couloir, from the bus, Rendevous bowl, tree stoke, caution

Last edited:

reefer

Sweet pics GSS, especially Corbetts and "from the tram". Sounds like a good time. I must get there someday!

gmcunni

GSS, how many years have you been going to JH? Was this the best year ever? if not, which one was + why?

GSS, how many years have you been going to JH? Was this the best year ever? if not, which one was + why?

I skied Jackson Hole in January of 2002 with my ex-girlfriend..the snow was decent but the girlfriend was a bitch and I skied 4 days..a few inches of new snow on a decent base..hardly any crowds.I stayed at the Antler Inn

I skied Jackson Hole in late February/early March of 2005..my first year back in the real world after being a skibum the previous two season in Bozeman Montana..I met my friend Tom and skied Grand Targhee for the first time ever in deep powder along with 4 days at Jackson Hole..I stayed at the Antler in and it snowed several inches but no big storm..after this trip I realized that January is better due to a lower sun angle and light powder.

In January of 2006 I stepped it up and skied Jackson Hole for 6 days and a day at Targhee and once again Tom joined me for a few days..I stayed at the Antler Inn and there were several snowstorms and record crowds due to it being the final season for the old Tram..I skied alot of powder on my Elan S12s and got to ski Toms Public enemys which were fat skis for me at the time at 85mm underfoot.

In January of 2007 I added another day and skied Jackson Hole for 8 days including a day at Grand Targhee..It was a lean snow year with "only" 200 inches of snow by late January..I still scored a few inches of untracked powder in the Cirque and had a 60,000+ vertical foot day..my best since High School..Tom visited as well..

In January of 2008 I hit the jackpot..it dumped most of my trip including three different storms. I ended up skiing 8 days plus a bonus 2 days due to foul weather for 10 days total including a visit to Snow King and Targhee..my friend Tom joined me and his girlfriend was expecting a baby very soon so we toasted shots of Jameson at the Town Square Tavern for him becoming a Dad soon..

My recent trip featured two snowstorms..issues with the airlines and more shots of Jameson..every trip to Jackson Hole has been good. As I become a more efficient technically better skier..the mountain skis alot easier but it still beats me up..I feel like you have between a 1/3 and 1/2 chance of scoring alot of deep powder in any given midwinter week and a near 100 percent chance of at least a small storm dumping perhaps 5 inches..which to locals is dust on crust but to me is fresh Poe..:spread:

I would rate this year third behind 2008 and 2006 in terms of deep powder skiing..but first in terms of low crowds(it was deserted except for the first day)..and 1st in terms of skiing everything I wanted to ski with ease..I still won't ski Corbetts..I'm too nervous about being injured but 99 percent of the other inbounds terrain is fair game. Back in 2002..I hardly scratched the surface..it takes time to get to know the nooks and crannies..I skied hike to terrain for the first time this trip..anyway my next trip out west will be to Utah but I'll be back in Jackson Hole next January..it's to steezy of a mountain for me to miss a year..

gmcunni

nice.. i remember you posting your TR last year and the 2 bonus days you got due to bad (ha, great!!) weather.

..anyway my next trip out west will be to Utah ..

you going this year? which mountains you planning to hit? i'm not well traveled but have been to UT a couple of times (brother lives there). Skied Alta, Canyons, snow basin and powder mountain, over a few different trips. Snow Basin is really cool place, if nothing else, the lodges built for the olympics, are outstanding.

Last edited:
you going this year? which mountains you planning to hit? i'm well traveled but have been to UT a couple of times (brother lives there). Skied Alta, Canyons, snow basin and powder mountain, over a few different trips. Snow Basin is really cool place, if nothing else, the lodges built for the olympics, are outstanding.

I'm going to go in March or April. I want to go last minute based on the weather and rent a Suburu and ski different mountains..Snowbird and Alta for sure..I want to stay in Sandy or Salt Lake City..Hopefully the voucher I get from United will cover most of my flight..

gmcunni

Sandy is where my brother lived for several years. very easy access to LCC. Now he's up in Eden near powder mountain.

lerops

I skied Jackson Hole in January of 2002 with my ex-girlfriend..the snow was decent but the girlfriend was a bitch and I skied 4 days..a few inches of new snow on a decent base..hardly any crowds.I stayed at the Antler Inn

I skied Jackson Hole in late February/early March of 2005..my first year back in the real world after being a skibum the previous two season in Bozeman Montana..I met my friend Tom and skied Grand Targhee for the first time ever in deep powder along with 4 days at Jackson Hole..I stayed at the Antler in and it snowed several inches but no big storm..after this trip I realized that January is better due to a lower sun angle and light powder.

In January of 2006 I stepped it up and skied Jackson Hole for 6 days and a day at Targhee and once again Tom joined me for a few days..I stayed at the Antler Inn and there were several snowstorms and record crowds due to it being the final season for the old Tram..I skied alot of powder on my Elan S12s and got to ski Toms Public enemys which were fat skis for me at the time at 85mm underfoot.

In January of 2007 I added another day and skied Jackson Hole for 8 days including a day at Grand Targhee..It was a lean snow year with "only" 200 inches of snow by late January..I still scored a few inches of untracked powder in the Cirque and had a 60,000+ vertical foot day..my best since High School..Tom visited as well..

In January of 2008 I hit the jackpot..it dumped most of my trip including three different storms. I ended up skiing 8 days plus a bonus 2 days due to foul weather for 10 days total including a visit to Snow King and Targhee..my friend Tom joined me and his girlfriend was expecting a baby very soon so we toasted shots of Jameson at the Town Square Tavern for him becoming a Dad soon..

My recent trip featured two snowstorms..issues with the airlines and more shots of Jameson..every trip to Jackson Hole has been good. As I become a more efficient technically better skier..the mountain skis alot easier but it still beats me up..I feel like you have between a 1/3 and 1/2 chance of scoring alot of deep powder in any given midwinter week and a near 100 percent chance of at least a small storm dumping perhaps 5 inches..which to locals is dust on crust but to me is fresh Poe..:spread:

I would rate this year third behind 2008 and 2006 in terms of deep powder skiing..but first in terms of low crowds(it was deserted except for the first day)..and 1st in terms of skiing everything I wanted to ski with ease..I still won't ski Corbetts..I'm too nervous about being injured but 99 percent of the other inbounds terrain is fair game. Back in 2002..I hardly scratched the surface..it takes time to get to know the nooks and crannies..I skied hike to terrain for the first time this trip..anyway my next trip out west will be to Utah but I'll be back in Jackson Hole next January..it's to steezy of a mountain for me to miss a year..
Very nice summary! The pics look kind of flat though.:grin: