• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where should I got near North Conway on Sat?

LineSki15

I usually do Wildcat, but they are saying it's gonna be windy and windy at Wildcat can get nasty
Should I hit Attitash instead?

deadheadskier

Staff member
not too far of a drive, but don't rule out Sunday River as an option. Black looked killer last weekend from the reports in here, but a lot can change in five days.

frozencorn

Windy at Wildcat? Perish the thought.....

Sunday River is only an hour drive, though Attitash sounds like it's in good shape too.

Right on about Black. Great on powder days, but that can really change there.

dropKickMurphy

I skied Black for the first time ever on Monday (MLK Day) and the mountain had superb conditions. Plenty of beautiful dry(by our standards) snow all over the mountain. It got tracked out, but the relatively low number of skiers prevented it from becoming packed down. It was still nice and soft at the end of the day.

The dryness of the snow is the key. As far as I know, there haven't been any thaw/freeze cycles since then. So I wouldn't think it would have iced up since then.

As I mentioned, it was my first time skiing Black. Folks who ski there more often would be familiar with how the snow surface tends to holds up there. I can't say for sure, but it didn't SEEM to be a place where they would groom the hell out of everything if it didn't need it.

Usually I try to avoid Attitash on Saturdays. From what I've seen this year, though, the crowds appear to be down everywhere. As long as you get there nice and early, that would probably be a good choice as well. With its low elevation, it's likely that the winds won't be as much a factor as they would at Wildcat.

Personally, I'll be sitting it out on Saturday, as I've got a bunch of things to catch up on at home. I'll be going back up to Wildcat on Sunday.