• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown BUMP or BUST Mogul Competition - 1/24/09

Grassi21

dude good work entering that. i give you major props. that wasnt ideal conditions by any means.

thanks man. i thought the bumps skied really well yesterday. the kicker on the other hand made me :-o

the bumps on exhibition really helped. they were kind of soft and with that lesser pitch i was able to more or less straight-line them with some decent speed.

bvibert

Staff member
I hope so to considering it was my first time using a video camera and also had to do it wearing mittens since I forgot my gloves:lol: If not I stood there freezing for nothing.

I'm sure it came out fine. I'm looking for the download cable so that I can get it off the camera...

Greg

Staff member
because she beat YOU!

lol, we ALL were thinking the same thing when we realized she was in the mens division.

please dont let me ski against her, please please please.

she ripped no doubt about it though.

I loved Chris Sullivan's comment in the bar as we were watching the video. "You guys were pretty close, but here's where she schools you." :lol:

Another classic line by powhunter once all the CLITS realized we got our asses handed to us: "Come on boys. Let's go rip up Exhibition!" :lol:

mondeo

because she beat YOU!

lol, we ALL were thinking the same thing when we realized she was in the mens division.

please dont let me ski against her, please please please.

she ripped no doubt about it though.

She probably is one of the top 30 regular skiers at Killington. Her boyfriend, too. Skis O.L. the exact same way she skied Temptor. They signed up at the same time I did, and my thought was, "Ok, top 4 is out of the question."

2knees

anyway, beyond brians obvious bitterness, heres my full take on yesterday.

couse turned out awesome considering the circumstances. bumps were still ragged but got skied in real fast. amazing what a bunch of sick skiers can do to a bump run. we need those guys around on a regular basis.

the ski patroler, Bart, from sundown was amazing. never seen him there before but that guy was amazing too. as was someone who showed up on their own. the guy got seeded 16th, against Dave and then proceeded to give him a run for his money in the first head to head match. Jarrod was yelling on the bullhorn "hey, where did THAT come from, your supposed to be the 16th seed."

Johhny put on a crazy show. He was right on the edge on the bottom part of the course. his last run against dave was just pure entertainment. he looked like he was water skiing. all backseat just straightlineing the bumps at mach 1. Again, jarrod was providing the blow by blow saying "we dont condone this kind of skiing!"

I felt like i put together two pretty good runs, especially after i saw them on video in the bar. I'm bummed that i got totally psyched out once i realized i was facing 180, but lesson learned. Its the old adage, you have to play your game and i did not. I saw Al take off out of the corner of my eye and just tried to straightline the entrance. it was over before it started. next time i'll just ski my way and let the chips fall where they do. again, which would've resulted in a loss, but at least it would've been mildly competitive.

the vibe was different then last year, more businesslike, but still a blast. you could just feel it was more of a competition then us hacks screwing around but still an absolute blast.

big props to Jarrod and his crew for standing out there all day. It was cold waiting around to ski so i can imagine how cold those guys were standing all day.

the poor dude holding the rope to close temptor got hosed. they forgot about him. he was still holding the rope a 1/2 hour after the comp was over. he wasnt too happy bout that. :razz:

thanks again to sundown and chris and jarrod. great job!

bvibert

Staff member
anyway, beyond brians obvious bitterness

Did I miss something here, or are you just busting my balls? I'm not bitter at all, I thought everyone had good runs, especially those that qualified.

I didn't ski quite as well as I was hoping, but I made it down without flailing too much. Most importantly I had fun, and that's all that matters.

Greg

Staff member
Some more thoughts. First person I see when I got to the course was 180 shoveling out some troughs. Then I saw Dave Adams working on the landing for the right kicker. I thought to myself "oh boy". Hunter will definitely be represented somewhere in the final four. I also saw Killington Joey and the ripper chick and was psyched there were so many rippers participating. There were other guys killing it including Bart, the guy in the orange jacket and the guy with the long goatee. At that point, my goal was just to qualify.

I was happy with my skiing and psyched I qualified. I think I was seeded 14th. The kickers looked intimidating, but after hitting them a few times it wasn't an issue. I pulled off several clean "no-sacks" :lol: so I was happy with that. In fact when I was qualifying and during my one duel, I didn't even feel the landings so I must have landed somewhat in the right spot at the top of the decline. Sundown terrain guys and the Hunter guys did a great job getting that slick course in as good as shape as can be expected.

Pat's runs were the cleanest of all the CLITS. I think it really could have gone either way between him and Alan if he didn't psyche out. Still nice job to Pat and johnnypoach for making the elite 8. Big props to the Adams and Belsky boys for cleaning up the under 18 category! Womens division was very competitive too with some really nice skiing.

I think the judging was really fair and a big improvement over last year. Those in the final fours definitely all belonged there. Great job Monti, Dave and Shannon. The flow of the event was good and it was very well organized. Again, nice job to Chris, Jarrod, Dotty and the rest of the Sundown crew. The HD footage is really awesome. Hopefully, they'll upload it to Vimeo to do it justice.

Chris Sullivan once again demonstrated he's a class act by helping Dave Adam's mom down Exhibition.

I would call the event a major success!

MR. evil

I was happy with my skiing and psyched I qualified. I think I was seeded 14th. !

I think you were seeded higher than that. Seeing how Dave (#1 seed) skied against the 16th seed, I imagine the 2nd skied against the 15th, 3rd against the 14th and so one. While that girl was good I don't think she landed the 3rd seed. I think you and the girl were the 6th or 7th pair. So if they did things by the numbers that would have made you either the 11th or 10th seed.

Greg

Staff member
I think you were seeded higher than that. Seeing how Dave (#1 seed) skied against the 16th seed, I imagine the 2nd skied against the 15th, 3rd against the 14th and so one. While that girl was good I don't think she landed the 3rd seed. I think you and the girl were the 6th or 7th pair. So if they did things by the numbers that would have made you either the 11th or 10th seed.

Dunno. I'll try to get the seeding from Jarrod and put together an image showing all the brackets.

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Yesterday’s event was a lot of fun. The sportsmanship and humility displayed by the local C.L.I.T.S., while having their asses handed to them by a chic and, a couple of families of uber skiers from Hunter was admirable. Thanks to all who participated.

powhunter

Yesterday’s event was a lot of fun. The sportsmanship and humility displayed by the local C.L.I.T.S., while having their asses handed to them by a chic and, a couple of families of uber skiers from Hunter was admirable. Thanks to all who participated.

They came into OUR house and made us look like a bunch of posers!! Well I dont know about the rest of you guys..We need to redeem ourselves at the march comp...I think a few training sessions with jay will give us the proper motivation to return the C.L.I.T.S back to glory

steveo

downhill04

They came into OUR house and made us look like a bunch of posers!! Well I dont know about the rest of you guys..We need to redeem ourselves at the march comp...I think a few training sessions with jay will give us the proper motivation to return the C.L.I.T.S back to glory

steveo

You don't need any sessions with me. I'm the only clit not to finish the course.;-)

bvibert

Staff member
Is there any footage of my crash? I know how it felt but want to see how it looked:cool::cool:

I'm still looking for the firewire cable for my camera (that Jeff was using during the comp) so that I can download it and take a look. The guy from Sundown who was shooting from the bucket in the flats got some real good footage though. I hope they post that up to vimeo so that you can check it out.

o3jeff

Is there any footage of my crash? I know how it felt but want to see how it looked:cool::cool:
It should be on Brians camera. I realized it was you at last second(2 of you in almost identical jackets) and hit record. Only drawback was that the line on the left side was hard to video since the line and the kicker were only a few feet away from the platform.

As Brian said, Sundowns guy caught the whole thing pretty good.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Brian has the vid loaded on the PC and is working on it now. Jarrod is a riot! It would almost be a shame to edit out the sound on this one. ;) Yes, there is vid of the crash, though not up close.

gmcunni

My wife got a cool pic of my qualifying run all the way from the base deck:

IMG_4728.JPG

It was really special to have her and my daughters there, even if they really couldn't see the event.

great photo!