• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown BUMP or BUST Mogul Competition - 1/24/09

Tyrolean_skier

She probably is one of the top 30 regular skiers at Killington. Her boyfriend, too. Skis O.L. the exact same way she skied Temptor. They signed up at the same time I did, and my thought was, "Ok, top 4 is out of the question."

Does she have red hair? If so, I know who it is and she definitely rips. I see her on OL and in the spring on Superstar.

Greg

Staff member
JP surfaces on AZ! Welcome Johnny! Great job on Saturday.

Indeed. JP was seeded #2 and made the elite 8. Dave Adams wiped him out. :lol: BTW, I prefer the spray paint with overspray vs. the duct tape..

Does she have red hair? If so, I know who it is and she definitely rips. I see her on OL and in the spring on Superstar.

:lol: I'm sure she's the only ripper chick at Killington...

Brownish hair IIRC. She and Joey were nice folks. She had neon green predator pants.

mondeo

Maybe strawberry blond? Definitely top 5 women. Not the fastest, but probably the best demonstration of good mogul turns of anyone on the mountain. Puts the whole notion of PSIA being a cleaner style than WC to shame. I'm pretty sure you know who I'm talking about.

bvibert

Staff member
Indeed. JP was seeded #2 and made the elite 8. Dave Adams wiped him out. :lol:

I have to question their thinking when they set up the brackets. They had 1 and 2 seeds go up against each other in the second round. Not to mention 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 6 in the second round. That's not to say we didn't have good match ups in the semis and finals, but it wasn't true to the seeding.

Trekchick

I really love how Greg is man enough to be beaten by a girl and post it up on the Forum. THAT is a real man!! Greg, You Rock!!!

IF I were to post the video I have of my bump skillz, you'd all fall on the ground laughing. So, I won't. :)
THIS is serious bump stoke, thanks for the inspiration!
That pic was taken from the base with a 300mm zoom so it actually makes it look a bit steeper that it really is, but yeah the video makes it seem flatter. That little stretch of trail does have pretty decent pitch. Certainly not WC pitch, but low to mid 20's I'd imagine.

Here's how the brackets worked out. I think I got everyone right:

12409-Brackets.png

Nice job to gmcunni for qualifying in the top 10!!! :spread:

MR. evil

MR. evil too. Nice job hitting the jump and your bump skiing was a lot better than last year. Land the friggin' air next time, okay? :)

I was actually landing the right side kicker consistantly during practice, but I was having trouble with the right line. One of the bumps right before the kicker would knock me off course. On the flip side I was skiing the left line much better but was having trouble landing that kicker during practice. Not that it really mattered much, there were so many good skiers on the hill the only way I was making it to the next round was if we had 3 or 4 guys pull a Downhill04.

My goal for March is to ski better and stay on my feet after the air.

gmcunni

I was actually landing the right side kicker consistantly during practice, but I was having trouble with the right line. One of the bumps right before the kicker would knock me off course. On the flip side I was skiing the left line much better but was having trouble landing that kicker during practice.

we haven't discussed the course much (that i recall)..

like Tim, i preferred the left top line but not the landing off the left kicker. i didn't like the right line, it wasn't harder but i felt like the last bump before the kicker threw me off balance during the warm ups. BUT i did like the right kicker more than the left which is why i took that run during the qualifying round. i figured it would be better to catch some air and make a clean landing than to ski a better top section, especially with the judges at the bottom. the bottom was just plain fast, not sure there was any particular line better than the others. The FAR left was pretty flat and if you got over there you could really fly.

Awesome Event

Wanted to say thanks to everyone there on Saturday; from the event organizers, the judges standing in the cold, and all the competitiors/AZ'ers cheering everyone on, to SkiSundown - all in all a great event.

Hope Jay recovers quickly - that was a horrible shot to take - and you skied away!

Really great videos - thanks to the AZ'ers - it was really nice to ski with you great bumpers, also really nice to ski in an event in my home state!

Reiterating on previous comment, thanks to Chris Sullivan for helping my parents down the hill after the event.

Does anyone has the seeding and brackets for the kids and women?

Always great to ski with 180, 180.1, and 180.2, I am actually registered on AZ now as 181 :)

da

Greg

Staff member
Always great to ski with 180, 180.1, and 180.2, I am actually registered on AZ now as 181 :)

181! Ha! :lol: I love it. Welcome Dave! You're one helluva skier.

o3jeff

Congrats on the win Dave. Make sure you bring your youngest son(red jacket) back in March and tell him it's ok not to let his brother win:razz: It was great watching him go!

Trekchick

I think I've finally watched all the videos in this thread, but its hard to keep track since you've been amazing at getting the footage and posting.
I know this one thing above all else.......You're all out of my league!
Kudos to the lot of you!!
Oh, and the crash video......ooooof!

Your bump skill can't be any worse than mine.

I'll ponder it, while I search for the footage I have. It would definitely be humbling for me. :eek:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
TC - You can ski bumps with Jeff and me; you'll look like a pro, at least in comparison to me. I bet Jeff can hold his own if he tried. ;)