• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/28 Storm Discussion Thread

justjen

Sunday River / Cranmore

Thanks to everyone making updates here. I am heading up to Sunday River (and perhaps a stop at Cranmore) Wed - Fri. I can only hope to get a taste of the pow I missed out on recently!

I'm trying to get a handle on how the weather will be to get out of MA Wednesday morning and am wondering if we are better off to leave Tuesday night.

Happy trails!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks to everyone making updates here. I am heading up to Sunday River (and perhaps a stop at Cranmore) Wed - Fri. I can only hope to get a taste of the pow I missed out on recently!

I'm trying to get a handle on how the weather will be to get out of MA Wednesday morning and am wondering if we are better off to leave Tuesday night.

Happy trails!

Current guess is that accumulating snow begins Wednesday - Hartford - early AM (4-6AM) for Rte. 128 Mass., - 9 AM Wednesday, Conway, NH, 8AM. This could change. If I was you, I'd be on the road by 5AM Wednesday, but consider Tuesday night if the storm moves faster.

Mount Snow, Pico
Much heavier accumulations with shifting storm track...5-10" for now...will likely adjust even more

Bush
Much heavier accumulations with shifting storm track...4-8" for now...will likely adjust even more

Cranmore, Wildcat
Much heavier accumulations with shifting storm track...4-8" for now

Black (Maine), Sunday River
Much heavier accumulations with shifting storm track...5-10"

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
246 pm est mon jan 26 2009 ...winter storm watch in effect from late tuesday night through late wednesday night... The national weather service in burlington has issued a winter storm watch...which is in effect from late tuesday night through late wednesday night. Snow will overspread vermont and northern new york late tuesday night. The snow may be heavy at times on wednesday...and then taper off wednesday night. Snow amounts of 6 to 12 inches are possible with this storm...with the highest amounts expected over central and southern vermont. A winter storm watch means there is a potential for significant snow...sleet...or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Plan ahead...and have a winter storm kit in your car. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

gmcunni

Snow will overspread vermont and northern new york late tuesday night. The snow may be heavy at times on wednesday...and then taper off wednesday night. Snow amounts of 6 to 12 inches are possible with this storm...with the highest amounts expected over central and southern vermont. .

For arguement's sake, snow will hit Northern Mass (read Berkshire East) to central VT (Killington/Pico). Where to go Wednesday (skiing while it snows)? Where to go Thursday (sking after it snows)?

roark

For arguement's sake, snow will hit Northern Mass (read Berkshire East) to central VT (Killington/Pico). Where to go Wednesday (skiing while it snows)? Where to go Thursday (sking after it snows)?
What's in between BEast and K/Pico? Hmmmmmmm. Stratton, Bromley, Mt Snow... :idea:

or you could go to Magic for $25 if you get a group of 3 or $80 for a car full on Wednesdays and get fresh tracks all day.

The 3 person $25 deal is good on any non-holiday weekday (like Thursday, for example).

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
During the snow, I'd be at Mt Snow because of the base and the crowds won't have arrived yet.
Go to Magic after the snow stops.

If you want to be a real contrarian, go to Bromley either day, you are apt to have the whole place to yourself. $39.

Don't forget the White mountains are gonna get the goods too, but I'd be sniffing further up the road like Bretton Woods or Mount Washington Valley to avoid the suburban rush from Boston.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Please shift a little more north!

it is!

day2_psnow_gt_08.gif

have you fed your Ullr today? :daffy:

gmcunni

Do you mean the accumulated base or the base lodge? :D

actually, base lodge facilities might dictate my trip. if i can't wiggle out of a certain meeting I'm going to have to hit a mountain with wi-fi and good cell coverage so i can attend a conf call. missing an hour of skiing is worth the price if the snow is good!

Euler

My students think I'm nuts at school, I get more excited than they do for these midweek storms! They tend to be the only chances I get to ski a midweek day. Bring it on!!

denvervega

It looks like the Catskills are in the bullseye- Everyone should know that Plattekill is open Wed.-Sun. as part of a regional promotion, as opposed to only Fri.-Sun. I know it sounds like a sales pitch, but no just a devoted local.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Looking like a "magical" jackpot. Wish I could do a vacation day... this is one of four weeks out of the year that it is absolutely no way going to happen. Have fun out there you guys. All you folks who keep saying you are going to try Magic out... time to get that vacation day ready...

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Looking like a "magical" jackpot. Wish I could do a vacation day... this is one of four weeks out of the year that it is absolutely no way going to happen. Have fun out there you guys. All you folks who keep saying you are going to try Magic out... time to get that vacation day ready...

Crap, yeah, I'm one of those guys! I'll try but looks not at all promising to get to Magic on Thursday.

Plenty of season left!

mondeo

Gah, meetings I should really be at both Wednesday and Thursday, plus a crapload of other work to do. I'll console myself with the likelihood that a lot of it will fall during the day Wednesday, so it won't be 8"+ of untracked that I'm missing, more like two consecutive good days. Sundown it is, I think. At least it should still be good this weekend.