• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/28 Storm Discussion Thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's pushing more north. It looks like all of new england and ENY will see at least 4", and Wmass, So VT So NH and ME seeing 8+. So VT and So NH could see 12"+

Shiftover to rain for SNE since it's moved further north reduces accumulations in the south.

If I was traveling, I'd leave tonight rather than tomorrow AM. Starting time in Boston about 8am Wed., 5AM in western mass.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

I wish the other forecast offices would make these graphics for CNY, SNE, Cats and Pocos.

I'm outta here for a Thursday pow day. joiners?

StormTotalSnow.shtml

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Attaboy Crapuweather, stir the flames higher with hyperbole and panic. Clear the bread asile!

Check out this news title:

The Northeast Prepares for Another Massive Snowstorm

Note to editor, in my parts, we don't use the word "massive" until it gets above 3 feet!

Glenn

LOL! I'm going to the gym tonight after work...which is right accross the street from the grocery store. I'll be sure to report back on the volume of vehicles in the parkinglot.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Once again, for those of us who can't travel up north in the middle of the week, here's the NWS report for NW Jersey. Calling for upwards of 10 inches in NW Jersey and the Poconos.

Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...RESENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
400 AM EST TUE JAN 27 2009

...WINTRY WEATHER WILL AFFECT THE REGION THROUGH WEDNESDAY...

.A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WINTRY WEATHER WILL
FORM OVER THE TENNESSEE VALLEY TODAY AND THEN MOVE NORTHEAST
CROSSING THE REGION WEDNESDAY EVENING.

NJZ001-007-008-PAZ054-055-060>062-272230-
/O.UPG.KPHI.WS.A.0003.090127T2300Z-090128T2300Z/
/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.W.0003.090127T2100Z-090128T2300Z/
SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...
JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...
EASTON
400 AM EST TUE JAN 27 2009

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
6 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR SNOW SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN
EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER
STORM WARNING REPLACES THE PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WINTER STORM WATCH.

ALTHOUGH THERE COULD BE SOME FLURRIES TODAY...THE PERIOD OF
ACCUMULATING SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN THIS EVENING. THIS SNOW
SHOULD CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT BEFORE MIXING WITH SLEET AND
FREEZING RAIN AROUND MIDDAY ON WEDNESDAY.

THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO BE 4 TO 8 INCHES
EXCEPT UP TO 10 INCHES OVER THE POCONOS AND NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY.
3 TO 5 INCHES SHOULD BE ON THE GROUND BY WEDNESDAY MORNING. ALSO,
1/4 INCH OF ICE IS POSSIBLE FROM THE FREEZING RAIN.

SINCE THE GROUND IS FROZEN, ANY SNOW THAT FALLS WILL ACCUMULATE
AND ROADS WILL BECOME SLIPPERY QUITE RAPIDLY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL
VERY HAZARDOUS.

WJenness

I'm in for a Pow day or two...

Not having a job means I can do it this time around...

If I can get my buddy's condo at SR, I'll probably head up there tonight and ski tomorrow / Thursday... supposed to meet some Friends at Sunapee on Friday... I'll plan that stuff out today.

w00t.

-w

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
LOL! I'm going to the gym tonight after work...which is right accross the street from the grocery store. I'll be sure to report back on the volume of vehicles in the parkinglot.

please let me know if there is any bread left. I don't think I'll be able to survive the storm without it.:oops::sad:

The kids are already planning for a day off from school. Hey KingM, they gonna cancel school in Warren????:smash: (as if I don't know the answer....)

Glenn

please let me know if there is any bread left. I don't think I'll be able to survive the storm without it.:oops::sad:

HA! No way am I going into the store tonight! I'll watch the craziness from a distance. I'll jump in the treadmill and fire up the weather channel...and watch people fight for parking spots accross the street. :smile:

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com

The kids are already planning for a day off from school. Hey KingM, they gonna cancel school in Warren????:smash: (as if I don't know the answer....)

They'd better, my son and I are going to use the storm as a pretext to get out of the valley for the day. Love my MRV resorts, but it's the perfect excuse to ski some new terrain. :snow:

drjeff

Per my last patient(who works for the CT State DOT and drives one of the plows), atleast in the Northeast part of the state, they're reporting to work for 2AM and are expecting about 20 to 24 hours of work. Pretreating of the road surfaces is happening this AM.

ERJ-145CA

From that map it looks like 3-6" for me. I'm finishing a trip in Newark tonight about 9PM and the forecast calls for the snow to start around midnight so I'm hoping it's right and I'll be home before it starts. Tomorrow's my wife's birthday so skiing won't go over too well but I'm looking forward to Thurs., Fri. and Sat.

justjen

I'm in for a Pow day or two...

Not having a job means I can do it this time around...

If I can get my buddy's condo at SR, I'll probably head up there tonight and ski tomorrow / Thursday... supposed to meet some Friends at Sunapee on Friday... I'll plan that stuff out today.

w00t.

-w
YES! W and Th at SR! I think we are leaning toward leaving tonight as well. It will be nice to get the driving out of the way so we can actually sleep some before skiing.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The tea leaves think the sweetspot with 10-15" will be (believe it or don't)
Bromley, Stratton, Magic, Ascutney, Crotched, Ragged, Gunstock, Pats, Sunapee, King Pine, Cranmore, and most of W Maine Mts.