• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/28 Storm Discussion Thread

polski

Website
twitter.com
Magic's snow report as of 2:30 p.m. said 8-12" snow with a little sleet mixing in. In this TGR thread Magic local Bluebird reported similar but by 3:30 said it already was changing back to snow. Looks like a dry slot is coming and then a little more wraparound snow on the back end.

I will say I have a friend who lives near Mt Snow and as of 45 min ago he said he's got freezing r&%# and sleet with a little snow still in the mix. "Quite disgusting" was how he put it. So the line of nastiness is very close but Magic may dodge the bullet.

MRG reports 8-10" snow and dumping "profusely" as of 4 p.m. That's my destination tomorrow.

Kowalski

Just changed to sleet here in Loudon NH, about 10 miles north of Concord. sleet line kissing concord right now on the radar so it seems to be a fairly accurate approximation of where things are beginning to mix. I hope to hit waterville or cannon tomorrow depending on who receives more.

Greg

Staff member
Sounds like some sleet is mixing back in with the rain. 32 degrees.

psyflyer

Today at Burke was great, not a soul around (usual wednesday @ Burke). The day kept getting better and better and when all was said and done we got at least 6 inches by 4pm. It has been dumping since 3pmish and I mean dumping, still going as strong as ever. So far this year this is the hardest it has snowed by a mile. Local forecasts calling 14-24 inches for Burke Mt. Tomorrow shaping up to be a day for the memory books.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I saw a forecast that said 14-22 for Cannon.:D Is it just me or has NH been just as good or better than VT this year.
Not quite.... maybe compared to SoVT. But not NoVT. But still, NH has had a stellar year and my best powder days of the year have been outside of NoVT including a pair of NH days. This storm will almost put Cannon at its seasonal average. While NH is not beating VT for snow totals, it is certainly well above its own average and coming into its own quicker than normal.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Holy shit there is an ass load of snow here in Ashland. I just got home and grounded out my car because the plow hasn't hit our lot yet. I don't recall ever having done that before. Snow tires don't do shit when they are spinning in the air. About a foot and a half so far and still coming down strong. Two feet is not out of the question at this point...

ERJ-145CA

We got about 6" here then around 11:00 it changed to freezing rain and then rain, now it's partly cloudy and 37 degrees but it's supposed to go down to 19 tonight.

polski

Website
twitter.com
anyone want to venture a guess what the rain/sleet/ice would do to conditions at Magic?

later report from Magic local Bluebird at TGR:

Ice pellets changed back to snow at Magic around 5pm. Still dumping as of 7pm.

Only about 2 hours of sleet and ice pellets. Tomorrow should be fantastic.

Pepperdawg, When I left at 5 there was no crust and it had changed back to snow. Ice pellets made it a little heavy, but no crust.
Last edited by Bluebird; Today at 06:09 PM..

Still MRG for me but fyi.

good night!

Jisch

Shoveling cement

I just got done shoveling 4" of really heavy snow/slush. I should probably go back to my post in the shoveling snow thread 'cause it SUCKED! I'm hoping we get enough rain so the crust will support me on my bike...bring on the rain!

John

deadheadskier

Staff member
Holy shit there is an ass load of snow here in Ashland. I just got home and grounded out my car because the plow hasn't hit our lot yet. I don't recall ever having done that before. Snow tires don't do shit when they are spinning in the air. About a foot and a half so far and still coming down strong. Two feet is not out of the question at this point...

Tramline possible this weekend?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
You need fat skis for the car! could be some nice jumps off of rooftops.

down here it's pouring and it's making our roofs sponges with about 1 foot atop. Perfect conditions for ice dams, which I have had vast experience :evil:

ENJOY!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Tramline possible this weekend?
Doubt they will open it but this should provide enough base to solidify that the next dump might. Who knows... the new management has certainly been more generous with coverage. But Cannon is notoriously slow to drop ropes and Tramline is one of the very few absolutely no-no's for trail poaching.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You need fat skis for the car! could be some nice jumps off of rooftops.
Won't be skiing off the roof top, but I will be skiing off my back deck down the 80 foot 37 degree hill tomorrow morning. Can't skip out on work :sad: but I can at least creatively go get mine the hard way. Half a dozen laps should wake me up pretty good :D Ski Ashland from last season.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Very unstable snow. Cracked one off snow blowing.
Drivewayavi.jpg

Burried Grill..
my_Grill.jpg