• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust II - 3/22/09

Course for mogul comp?

• Top to bottom

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • From the lower/middle of the steep section to the bottom

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Top to midstation

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Top of steep pitch to midstation

• Lower pitch only (midstation to bottom)

• Exhibition ;)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Carrie - will your kids be at the mountain? Would love to introduce my kids to them..
They're actually going to be at my parents' house all day. Nobody in my family skis so they have no interest in being there (which is probably for the best; otherwise, I'd likely not have babysitters for as long). The kids are only 3.5 and 1.5 years old, so they likely would get bored quickly anyway. Next year. :)

SkiDork

They're actually going to be at my parents' house all day. Nobody in my family skis so they have no interest in being there (which is probably for the best; otherwise, I'd likely not have babysitters for as long). The kids are only 3.5 and 1.5 years old, so they likely would get bored quickly anyway. Next year. :)

yeah I hear ya...

Although at 3/5 years old, gotta get them out on the leash! Thats the perfect age!!!!!

2knees

Chris/Jarrod. do you guys have any preliminary idea of where on gunny you'll set the course up and how long it'll be?

It would seem the flat area where the old unloading station is would be an ideal ending point, although that last stretch of bumps is mint right now.

bvibert

Staff member
Chris/Jarrod. do you guys have any preliminary idea of where on gunny you'll set the course up and how long it'll be?

It would seem the flat area where the old unloading station is would be an ideal ending point, although that last stretch of bumps is mint right now.

Ideally, for me, the course would start at the flat section and end at the bottom. Might make for a boring event though. ;)

2knees

I think you can handle where ever they put it. you hit that well last night.

funny, you dont notice the pitch as much with the bumps on it then when its a sheet of blue ice. :smile:

bvibert

Staff member
I think you can handle where ever they put it. you hit that well last night.

funny, you dont notice the pitch as much with the bumps on it then when its a sheet of blue ice. :smile:

Thanks for the kind words Pat.

I was thinking the same thing about the steepness, definitely seems less steep when it's bumped up. I may change my tune as the bumps get bigger though... ;)

Greg

Staff member
I added a poll to this thread. Chris asked for some feedback on where to put the course. I think it depends on what the goal here should be. If we want to try to come as close to WC, I think it should be from where the steep part starts down to the flat area near midstation. Not sure if there's enough snow there to support it, and the lines aren't the best either. It also means they'll probably have to groom a finish area near midstation (yuck).

One thought yesterday was to start part way up the steep pitch and bring it to the bottom. That puts the whole flat area in play which is, well, flat. But the benefit of that is there is more visibility for spectators at the bottom. The second kicker can go somewhere near the top of that final pitch which would be cool for people watching from the bottom. It also keeps the upper half of the mountain open for free skiing that day. I think those are the two best options. Just running on the lower stretch is too short IMO. If you have other suggestions, post them here.

2knees

I added a poll to this thread. Chris asked for some feedback on where to put the course. I think it depends on what the goal here should be. If we want to try to come as close to WC, I think it should be from where the steep part starts down to the flat area near midstation. Not sure if there's enough snow there to support it, and the lines aren't the best either. It also means they'll probably have to groom a finish area near midstation (yuck).

One thought yesterday was to start part way up the steep pitch and bring it to the bottom. That puts the whole flat area in play which is, well, flat. But the benefit of that is there is more visibility for spectators at the bottom. The second kicker can go somewhere near the top of that final pitch which would be cool for people watching from the bottom. It also keeps the upper half of the mountain open for free skiing that day. I think those are the two best options. Just running on the lower stretch is too short IMO. If you have other suggestions, post them here.

honestly, i think your latter suggestion is by far the best. even if they can patch up the steeper part, what lines are gonna form in there? there isnt enough snow to dig out anything real.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Hell, if it's a soft snow day and from midstation to bottom, I may even participate! At least I'd likely qualify given the lack of female competitors. Though I'd be knocked out pretty quickly after that. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.