• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski problem

lerops

Last Sunday at Hunter, I decided to do a warm up run the Belt Parkway thinking it was early so it would be uncrowded. So, I took a right off the AA lift, and right after taking a right I hit a minefield of rocks (apparently groomed into the surface). And the next run up I notice that they put a closed sign in that entrance of the trail! It was pure negligence on their part, but I don't think there is much to do other than send them a nasty email.

My skis have been damaged. There are many scratches, but one of them is somewhat deep. I don't think the ski took a core shot though (I still only see plastic).

So, I need recommendations for good ski repair shops either in the Catskills area or in NYC.

Thanks!

Last edited:

lerops

I am in Manhattan. I don't know the answer to your second question. These are my first pair of skis ever. I can measure it when I get home, but it is 1-1.5 mm deep, maybe.

that guy

your skis aren't damaged

stop being a nancy and blaming the mountain, its not like skis are meant to be kept pristine. learn how to use a p-tex candle and for gods sake stop whining about negligence

drjeff

I am in Manhattan. I don't know the answer to your second question. These are my first pair of skis ever. I can measure it when I get home, but it is 1-1.5 mm deep, maybe.

Unless you can see core material(usually a white/yellow color), which is most cases will be a different color than the base material, not a big deal for *most* recreational skiers. Simple tune by a shop, if anything, and you're good to go.

If you can see core material, then some attention should be paid to your skis and a trip to the shop for what's called a base weld(basically a combination of glueing and melting base material into the affected area and then tuning the ski up) should be done.

Most scratches/dings to just the base of a ski will be inconsequential to all but the most elite level racers/skiers. What can be of greater significance to a wider range of abilities is edge damage. Basically, you should be able to run your finger along your edge and it should be smooth from tip to tail, if their are "rough spots"(often referred to as "burs"), then it can effect how a ski performs(especially if you can truely carve a turn instead of skidding them). A quick tune will have the ski's edge bur free and performing as it should.

Regular ski "maintenance" is an often debated topic here on AZ, and some of us are greater proponents of regular tuning/waxing to keep things as close to "as new" conditions than others here. It's just a personal preference thing.

lerops

your skis aren't damaged

stop being a nancy and blaming the mountain, its not like skis are meant to be kept pristine. learn how to use a p-tex candle and for gods sake stop whining about negligence

So, you are saying that it is OK to have rocks built into the trail in a way that wouldn't be visible to skiers before they are on them? While we are at it, why don't we also get some electric shocks on the chairs?

Them closing that trail entrance (not the trail) half an hour into the day shows that they admit their mistake.

If you have something to say without an 8 year old's attitude, please say it.

lerops

Unless you can see core material(usually a white/yellow color), which is most cases will be a different color than the base material, not a big deal for *most* recreational skiers. Simple tune by a shop, if anything, and you're good to go.

If you can see core material, then some attention should be paid to your skis and a trip to the shop for what's called a base weld(basically a combination of glueing and melting base material into the affected area and then tuning the ski up) should be done.

Most scratches/dings to just the base of a ski will be inconsequential to all but the most elite level racers/skiers. What can be of greater significance to a wider range of abilities is edge damage. Basically, you should be able to run your finger along your edge and it should be smooth from tip to tail, if their are "rough spots"(often referred to as "burs"), then it can effect how a ski performs(especially if you can truely carve a turn instead of skidding them). A quick tune will have the ski's edge bur free and performing as it should.

Regular ski "maintenance" is an often debated topic here on AZ, and some of us are greater proponents of regular tuning/waxing to keep things as close to "as new" conditions than others here. It's just a personal preference thing.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I will see what I can do myself. Want to get into maintaining them myself, anyways.

wa-loaf

So, you are saying that it is OK to have rocks built into the trail in a way that wouldn't be visible to skiers before they are on them? While we are at it, why don't we also get some electric shocks on the chairs?

Them closing that trail entrance (not the trail) half an hour into the day shows that they admit their mistake.

Rocks are a hazzard of skiing. Sounds like there were just some loose rocks that got stirred up in the snow. You usually don't get a core shot unless you something immovable like ledge or a big boulder under the surface. You really have no idea why they closed the trail. Go get your skis tuned and move on.

Beetlenut

Ok, in big-boy terms... That's skiing! The sport has inherent risks to both the skier and their equipment. I'm sure the guy grooming didn't notice, or care to notice, that some rocks got churned up. Even if the trail was open, nobody put a gun to your head and made you ski down it! Part of skiing is reading the terrain. This is one of skiing's lessons you just learned! Welcome to skiing and taking responsibility for your decisions.

BeanoNYC

Sounds like it will fill up with wax and not be an issue after a tuning. If your looking to get it fixed try Princeton ski shop in Gramercy Park or Emilios in Forest Hills.

your skis aren't damaged

Douche....

Highway Star

It may be too late to do anything, but you could call Hunter's customer service desk and ask nicely if they could arrange for you to get a free tune from their rental/repair shop. It's one thing to hit a bunch of rocks on a natural snow trail or trees where it's expected, but quite another on a open, groomed run.

lerops

Rocks are a hazzard of skiing. Sounds like there were just some loose rocks that got stirred up in the snow. You usually don't get a core shot unless you something immovable like ledge or a big boulder under the surface. You really have no idea why they closed the trail. Go get your skis tuned and move on.

Ok, in big-boy terms... That's skiing! The sport has inherent risks to both the skier and their equipment. I'm sure the guy grooming didn't notice, or care to notice, that some rocks got churned up. Even if the trail was open, nobody put a gun to your head and made you ski down it! Part of skiing is reading the terrain. This is one of skiing's lessons you just learned! Welcome to skiing and taking responsibility for your decisions.

Maybe I couldn't explain it well. There could be occasional rocks on trails, I have no problem with that. This is different: you get off the lift, take a turn and within a few yards you hit an area of rocks. They were firmly in the snow with edges above the snow.

What was closed the next run was not the trail itself; they just shut down that particular entrance to the trail, maybe only 20-30 yards. If you took a left instead of right off the chair, then you could get on the trail from the other side.

So the problem must be with that little section. Anybody who knows the top of the AA lift will understand what I am talking about.

ctenidae

It may be too late to do anything, but you could call Hunter's customer service desk and ask nicely if they could arrange for you to get a free tune from their rental/repair shop. It's one thing to hit a bunch of rocks on a natural snow trail or trees where it's expected, but quite another on a open, groomed run.

Who are you, and what have you done with the real Highway Star?

That may be the most reasonable and agreeable thing you've posted in a long time.
I give it a +1

Hawkshot99

Talking to the VP of another mountain he told me of a simular situation he had dealt with. Guy got a nasty core shot, and claimed he was out in the middle of the trail, not any woods. Since he had already paid to get it repaired, the VP gave him a comp. ticket. 1 angry person will do alot of damage to a resorts reputation. Give them a call, the worst that can happen, is they say no.

hammer

+2

I wouldn't expect a free tune, but given the circumstances it can't hurt to ask. If they say no, just get the skis fixed and move on...s#!t happens...

poconovfr

Everyone calm down. lol Dude your skis are fine,I've tuned skis at a professional level for many ,many years. How often do you have your skis tuned? Most good tuners will take care of minor gouges and "scratches" during a regular tune. Base welding or edge replacement will cost you more but should only be an additional few bucks. I'm sure they are not that bad,after all Hunter is self insured. I just can not see them opening a trail that questionable. I know there has been a problem with the snow making system there all season,air main line is leaking or so I was told.As far as rocks in/on the trail(s), it's skiing and it's gonna' happen. Trashed a pair at Magic two weeks ago. I'll race on that same pair this eve at Boulder.

that guy

sounds good to me, why don't we add cattle prods in the lift line to move people along quicker, in fact I think we should post snipers in the trees, anyone caught sideslipping a trail or skiing out of bounds would be shot on sight.

as for having the attitude of an 8 year old, I wasn't the one whining like a four year old that a rock put a scratch in my skis and the mountain was "negligent"

newsflash, take some responsibility, you skied a trail, a trail that had rocks on it, rocks are inherent to skiing, your equipment got mangled, so fix it. the problem is people like you have been conditioned by ski resorts and their incessant grooming to expect that every single trail on the mountain is going to be sanitized perfectly for your protection.

since you obviously need spoonfeeding on how to maintain your gear properly without having to resort to handing it over to the hackers that call themselves ski shops in the greater NYC area

http://www.backcountry.com/store/newsletter/a702/Ski-Tuning-Guide-now-with-video.html

poconovfr

sounds good to me, why don't we add cattle prods in the lift line to move people along quicker, in fact I think we should post snipers in the trees, anyone caught sideslipping a trail or skiing out of bounds would be shot on sight.

as for having the attitude of an 8 year old, I wasn't the one whining like a four year old that a rock put a scratch in my skis and the mountain was "negligent"

newsflash, take some responsibility, you skied a trail, a trail that had rocks on it, rocks are inherent to skiing, your equipment got mangled, so fix it. the problem is people like you have been conditioned by ski resorts and their incessant grooming to expect that every single trail on the mountain is going to be sanitized perfectly for your protection.

since you obviously need spoonfeeding on how to maintain your gear properly without having to resort to handing it over to the hackers that call themselves ski shops in the greater NYC area

http://www.backcountry.com/store/newsletter/a702/Ski-Tuning-Guide-now-with-video.html

+18)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Last year when I went to K in January, it was 65*. The snow report was "variable conditions"

That day I skied, brown snow, mud, slick grass, sticks, shrubbery and rocks. I still have the same skis.

poconovfr

Last year when I went to K in January, it was 65*. The snow report was "variable conditions"

That day I skied, brown snow, mud, slick grass, sticks, shrubbery and rocks. I still have the same skis.

That sounds like a perfect Vt. day.:spin: